Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Again, who are the Kochs? I haven't seen anything about them in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:25 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, who are the Kochs? I haven't seen anything about them in the news.
And you won't. They are one of the largest privately held corporations in America, and not publicly traded. Yet they own the multi-billionnaire Koch Industries, with vast array of holdings, including oil and chemical companies, such as Georgia-Pacific, Koch Petroleum Group, etc. They own and operate the AFP which funds and runs Tea Parties. Koch Brothers inherited all from their father, are Libertarians with a big "L", because deregulation of corporations and lower corporate taxes actually affects their bottom line . But they only have two votes, so they need a lot of libertarians with a small "l" to pad their votes on election day:

Koch Industries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
So, if they WERE a target, there would be something about them in the newspapers, and I've not seen a single article. So obviously, they are NOT a target.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
OP,

While not a fan of either Soros or Koch Bros, the biggest (and IMO valid) criticism between the two is Soros is very public about his donations and "plans" while the Koch brothers, save a few small stints with the middle brother into politics (failed), have been very secretive about their funding and political strategies since the 70's, with some complex "layering" if you will.

While I'm sure there is slant in the article, it does have some good history on the Koch brothers (just pay attention to the money/timeline and not the agenda):

The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama : The New Yorker

Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
OP,

While not a fan of either Soros or Koch Bros, the biggest (and IMO valid) criticism between the two is Soros is very public about his donations and "plans" while the Koch brothers, save a few small stints with the middle brother into politics (failed), have been very secretive about their funding and political strategies since the 70's, with some complex "layering" if you will.

While I'm sure there is slant in the article, it does have some good history on the Koch brothers (just pay attention to the money/timeline and not the agenda):

The billionaire Koch brothers’ war against Obama : The New Yorker

Again- It is hilarious that liberals actually complain about the Koch brothers, while at the same time applauding Soros for doing exactly the same thing for the left. It does not matter about the degree to which thier actions are "public" or not. That is simply an issue of media coverage.

If you disagree with what the Koch brothers are doing, don't be hypocritical and condemn Soros as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So, if they WERE a target, there would be something about them in the newspapers, and I've not seen a single article. So obviously, they are NOT a target.
"In several speeches Obama singled out Americans for Prosperity, which is owned by two libertarian billionaires, Charles and David Koch. Koch Industries actively opposes Demoratic candidates.
But an attorney for Koch Industries–the parent company of Americans for Prosperity–charges that the Obama White House crossed a line in obtaining private tax information, which they use to bash organizations like Americans for Prosperity."

Obama uses IRS to retaliate against opponents « Conservative Libertarian Outpost

I don't recall Bush complaining about Soros like this. If nothing else McCain took a huge burden of pain , with little to say , I honor him for this . Obama is not manly at all , he whines like a mule.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I want to see contributions from all billionairs, millionairs and corporations eliminated from politics.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I want to see contributions from all billionaires, millionaires and corporations eliminated from politics.
Thats not how they spend the money , they pay for ads and publications that promote their way of thinking.

I think this is one of them , I like this site BTW . National site | Americans for Prosperity (http://americansforprosperity.org/national-site - broken link)

Old 09-30-2010, 07:40 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Thats not how they spend the money , they pay for ads and publications that promote their way of thinking.

I think this is one of them , I like this site BTW . National site | Americans for Prosperity (http://americansforprosperity.org/national-site - broken link)
BINGO! they promote policies and agenda for BILLIONNAIRES, not for you and me (i'm assuming you are not a billionnaire either, or you would be on a yacht or golf course right now)

Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
BINGO! they promote policies and agenda for BILLIONNAIRES, not for you and me (i'm assuming you are not a billionnaire either, or you would be on a yacht or golf course right now)
Bingo ?
I can post from my yacht . Did you look at the site ? Its good info for all . I read it , check out the info , its better than the newspapers. Billionaires are people , I like them ok. I'm sorry you hate rich people , most of them work all day also.
Read the site , expand your views .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies