Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And who's watching FOX but the fringe far right?
If you want to call half the nation far right, go right ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Foxnews has had the best ratings for a few years. Looking at the election results of the last few years, that does not mean people take them seriously.
The point of the thread is to note how inconsequential, irrelevant, and left-wing fringe MSNBC has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I've come to the conclusion the majority of the America public is stupid as hell, which is one reason why this country is such a mess. The average American has a really poor understanding of economics, global affairs, history and finance.
I agree. The proof of that is the wake left by the 2008 elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Prime time is not straight news, it's commentary and opinion. Apparently, the public doesn't like the leftist slant MSNBC puts on their straight news AND the prime time opinion shows as well.
But, I don't want someone's opinion on the news.

There used to be this line that Charles Gibson gave when he was on ABC evening news. He would say something about this is what is important and we will explain the news to you. And I was like, I don't want you to explain it to me, bucko. I want you to give the news and then go away.

I think that there is a lot of the left that feels that way. There is no huge draw for us to listen to someone pretending to be the left and then offering their opinion for hours on end on the television.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post

There used to be this line that Charles Gibson gave when he was on ABC evening news. He would say something about this is what is important and we will explain the news to you. And I was like, I don't want you to explain it to me, bucko. I want you to give the news and then go away.

I think that there is a lot of the left that feels that way. There is no huge draw for us to listen to someone pretending to be the left and then offering their opinion for hours on end on the television.
I don't quite understand what you are saying.

A lot of news watchers have found out that the old media was NOT just reporting the news. That it was/is filled with a bias. Not with just what they said but, with what they did/do not say.

On the old news shows there is no discussion. No way to challenge what they say or don't say.

IMO, that is what sets FOX apart. Part of the program has a discussion of what is being reported. Various sides of the issue have the opportunity to express their side of the issue. Viewers can decide for themselves which side to believe.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post

There is a difference to the straight news during the day and commentary/opinion in the prime time lineup. Don't watch if you don't want to hear it - simple enough.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I've come to the conclusion the majority of the America public is stupid as hell, which is one reason why this country is such a mess. The average American has a really poor understanding of economics, global affairs, history and finance. The average American is happy to have a warm place to sleep, be a slave to a paycheck, have a car in the garage, food on the table and 200 + channels of Hi-Def cable. People who watch the pure garbage put out by Fox News just reaffirm this.
I dunno. Those things seem pretty good to me. Most the world doesn't have these things. Are they better off than us? Are they more "in tune" than us?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
What has my hot button on tonight is the fact that Butch, Ed, Keith and Chris are all on the bottom looking up at all those top rated Fox shows.

They have something to look forward to.

The sheep who take the time to watch them are probably all on welfare and tape all of their shows because they love them soooo much.

It is hell to be at the bottom and having the 20% of those who consider themselves liberal watching a bunch of failures at work.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't quite understand what you are saying.

A lot of news watchers have found out that the old media was NOT just reporting the news. That it was/is filled with a bias. Not with just what they said but, with what they did/do not say.

On the old news shows there is no discussion. No way to challenge what they say or don't say.

IMO, that is what sets FOX apart. Part of the program has a discussion of what is being reported. Various sides of the issue have the opportunity to express their side of the issue. Viewers can decide for themselves which side to believe.
And those would be the ones that watch them.

Me, personally, I think that this whole need to rely on someone else to interpret the news is part of this creation of a helpless society. To the extent that people have a tendency to listen, to the point of dependency, more to the intepretation. Especially, when you are listening to people who are just spouting off opinion.

The problem with the old news is that the media conglerates are also affiliated with these other corporations and they will not give you the full detail because that would be anathema. So, the interpretations are not necessarily going to offer another viewpoint. They aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
There is a difference to the straight news during the day and commentary/opinion in the prime time lineup. Don't watch if you don't want to hear it - simple enough.
That is what I am trying to tell you. Your not going to find a whole lot of liberals that are going to deal with commentary/opinion. So, while you are standing there doing your imaginary happy dance, try to keep that in mind.

And what they call news in the daytime lineup is quite hidious.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And who's watching FOX but the fringe far right?
Quote:
Among regular Fox News Channel viewers, 39% identified as Republican, 33% as Democrats and 22% as independents. Among regular CNN viewers, 51% identified as Democrats, 23% were independents and just 18% were Republicans. In short, Democrats comprise a larger share of the Fox News audience than Republicans do of CNN's audience.
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1395/par...news-audiences

Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 PM

277 posts, read 166,766 times
I don't get it, was there some sort of point in this topic that I missed? I don't watch fox or msnbc so I guess ratings & popularity contests mean nothing to me. I prefer to hear actual news, not who or what is more popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies