Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,558,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Will telling a grown man his mom is a b*tch "put US troops in danger"?
No...just you. Try it, you might like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,281,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This thread is a hoot.
What the OP still fails to understand is that some art is in good taste and some art in poor taste and the very same thing can be said about free speech. Just because individuals have the legal right to free speech (or to create whatever they want in an artist's medium) doesn't mean that others can't step up and use their free speech to call that person out for their poor taste and/or lack of social responsible. With our right to free speech comes the responsibility to accept whatever consequences comes with your words or art.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-28-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM

277 posts, read 166,216 times
I don't even get what this beta person is trying to say. This topic is all over the place. Let's get this down to the basics: that art could be considered offensive to many people, just as the mohammad cartoon was as well. When someone does or says something offensive, that person needs to be aware of the fact that others are going to react to their action. It's a fact of life, not everyone has the restraint to ignore offensive things, nor should they in certain instances. Surely beta should understand this concept.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,845,013 times
Quote:
So what was so wrong with a pastor in FL burning his own books?
The fact that he was denied a burn permit?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You have zero evidence to support your claim there would be threats and violence. I have TONS of evidence of threats and violence to to percieved insults of islam though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Doubtful.

In 1983 I was assaulted at a Mall in Fayetteville, NC by a nice Baptist couple because I was wearing a T-Shirt that said "Charles Darwin died for your sins."

I was stupid to wear that shirt. I have grown up a bit since then.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:09 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Because he said it on CD makes it true?

Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Because he said it on CD makes it true?
Yeah call everyone you don't agree with a liar...

Do you have any SANE reason to assume he is lying?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And you would be wrong yet again.

There is nothing better established in this forum than that you have no idea what "liberal" means.
If you did, you would not require the legions of straw men that populate the threads you start.
Hello HistorianDude-

Did you get that feeling too? Smell any sock puppets? I am still waiting for the point of this wasted thread to be made!

Unless the thread is a simple exercise of logging in bulk posts, upping their issuance and remaining contrary at all costs. I almost feel
like a jerk myself, for responding, yet feeling somewhat like a fly caught in a Venus Flytrap, I'm here.

Where's the beef, betamanlet? Where's the stimulating responses?
Couldn't you offer even the slightest measure of sensationalism,
after all, who really cares about some obscure artist and his foolish artwork? I've seen nothing less than a half baked attempt at treating a
mediocre topic, like it was a ball in a table tennis match, going from rape to abortion, to Southpark and then on to a rogue Pastor down south.
Just what is the question that you failed to ask in your haste to send out another failed post?

Anyone else get that feeling?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM

37,083 posts, read 42,056,772 times
I have no problem with protecting the right of someone to do something that might offenend someone. Offence is a personal thing and we can't control it. I do not approve of anyone have the right to harass someone however.

Sometimes I offend people. I would never harass anyone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies