Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
your OP title is free speech, art and leftists. no one in their right mind on the left or the right condone people killing others because of a cartoon or an expression of some kind done by an artist. I do not believe in censorship, as an artist I especially hate it in art. the artist has a right to be provocative even disturbing, how the individual reacts to the art is not the artist's focus, his focus was about the expression.

there will always be someone offended by someones view that they feel needs censoring. in most cases it is not a liberal. conservatism/censorship in art has, I have no doubt gotten an artist killed sometime in history. it has certainly gotten people shunned at the least. conservatism and puritan ideals led to the destruction of many priceless artifacts with the removal the penis on countless numbers of sculptures so as not to offend.

what you refer to really is not art, nor did they happen in the USA, I doubt turkey has the same freedoms we do
Let's not forget ******** covering the breasts of "Justice" for being obscene.
Censorship that we can laugh at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
So instead of being a discussion on attitudes towards art that might shock, it's just another excuse for an "Islam bad, liberals bad, Christianity good" rant.

How boring.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
So instead of being a discussion on attitudes towards art that might shock, it's just another excuse for an "Islam bad, liberals bad, Christianity good" rant.

How boring.
In a nutshell. Yes.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Let's not forget ******** covering the breasts of "Justice" for being obscene.
Censorship that we can laugh at.
How many people's lives were threatened over than and how many were killed?

Dozens got killed over the mohammed cartoons. How many lost thier lives over ******** and the justice statue?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

How boring.
Despite me being Jewish, you still somehow managed to pull out "christianity good" out of this...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
How many people's lives were threatened over than and how many were killed?

Dozens got killed over the mohammed cartoons. How many lost thier lives over ******** and the justice statue?

OMG that wasn't an insult though! Any violence would've been justified!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
You you show me a single example in the past 10 years any christian church reacting violently AND killing people over an insult?

Please, no talk about the crusades. I'm talking today....

Even the Dude from Kansas, I forget his name, Felps or something like that. He annoys people and insults gay and protests funerals. Has he ever threatened any kind of violence in response to comments made abou thim or christianity?
Thats not what you said. You mentioned violence or threat of violence and said none of these would ever happen. Now you are talking about killing. Focus!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Link to his violence?
What do you mean link to "his" violence?

That's not what you've been arguing. I stated that the Reverend Phelps and his protest can and do garner violent responses.

Case in point:

Man fires pepper spray on protesters outside Marine's funeral - CNN.com

Just last month, too.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM

This thread is a hoot.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Despite me being Jewish, you still somehow managed to pull out "christianity good" out of this...
Yes, somehow I imagined a defense of Christians in all of this rot.

Quote:
So why were liberals in the US saying the Danish cartoonists shouldn't be drawing mohammed cartoons?

And there were death threats and acts of violence from cartoons of mohammed. How many people have catholics kille din response to this given he depicted himself assasinating the pope?

How many embassies got burned down?
Quote:
So what was so wrong with a pastor in FL burning his own books?
Quote:
Do you recall not too long ago the President et al begging a pastor in FL to not burn his own books?
Quote:
There would be zero violence or threats of violence if people shouted antischristian insults at a church.
Quote:
Can you show me examples of within the past year or two christians threatening violence or killing people over mere insults?
Quote:
You you show me a single example in the past 10 years any christian church reacting violently AND killing people over an insult?
Quote:
THat had nothing to do with christianity being insulted.

You do realize that after Yugoslavia broke up, all sides committed atrocities? Even christians committed atrocities on other christians. You know. Serbss v. Croats... Did they do it over christianity, or perhaps another reason?

Now provide me examples where christians kill over being insulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies