Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Read up on Romney.
Same Constitutional requirement applies to Romney. Jindal too for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The new Hawaiian governor that is supposed to know about the birth in Hawaii is the most interesting part of the issue. Is this why he was elected. Could he not have come out about this years ago.
he did. there is a time article from april 2008 where abercrombie discusses knowing the obamas.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
....or are the birthers still a vital force in the political scene ?

honest question.
Honest answer: what vital force? They were never a vital force in anything.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Honest answer: what vital force? They were never a vital force in anything.
good point. maybe "a factor in politics" would have been a better way to word it.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM

was just thinking of an odd twist to IC's perpetual "born a brit not legit" claim. i've let it be known that i was a dual citizen with the US/UK as a child and let it lapse in my 20's. but here is the kicker..... shortly after my birth my parents registered me as a british citizen with the british embassy ( i've always assumed the los angeles branch ). for a country to accept you as a citizen they must know you exist.

did the UK know obama existed before his early 20's ? if a country never accepted you as a citizen were you a citizen ? if so, how?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
was just thinking of an odd twist to IC's perpetual "born a brit not legit" claim. i've let it be known that i was a dual citizen with the US/UK as a child and let it lapse in my 20's. but here is the kicker..... shortly after my birth my parents registered me as a british citizen with the british embassy ( i've always assumed the los angeles branch ). for a country to accept you as a citizen they must know you exist.
Not necessarily. Read the British Nationality Act of 1948, and the US State Dept's website on Dual Nationals. The US State Dept acknowledges that some people are dual citizens through no choice or action of their own. They are so by circumstance of their birth. Such was the case with Obama's birth.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
. The US State Dept acknowledges that some people are dual citizens through no choice or action of their own.
....and with that you just put the power to destroy the US presidency in the hands of every single nation on the planet.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
....and with that you just put the power to destroy the US presidency in the hands of every single nation on the planet.
Funny, isn't it? IC feels British (actually, any foreign nation's) law determines eligibility in the US.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Not so. Clear example of an American citizen with a British citizen father who IS Constitutionally eligible:

Mother: American citizen
Father: Dual citizen, including British citizenship by descent
Child born in the US: natural born American citizen (child cannot inherit British citizenship because the father was a British citizen by descent only)

There are very legitimate reasons for excluding those born subject to the allegiance to foreign sovereignties, etc., from the very highest executive levels of US Government and the US Military. Some American citizens are natural born citizens and are Constitutionally eligible to serve. Others are not due to their US State Department acknowledged foreign allegiance(s) at birth. I'm not sure why you're having such a hard time understanding that.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny, isn't it? IC feels British (actually, any foreign nation's) law determines eligibility in the US.
You'll have to argue with the US State Department on that. THEY recognize foreign citizenship at birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies