Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
In case you were unaware... it actually takes deliberate action to gain recognition of dual citizenship 100% of the time.
And here we have another who cannot seem to comprehend 5.(1)(a) of the British Nationality Act of 1948, nor the US State Department info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What I said was that the US State Department acknowledges the foreign citizenship claim of foreign countries on those born abroad to US citizens and/or those born in the US to a non-US citizen parent(s).
huh????.... what i stated was that country "X" makes everyone born in the US also a citizen of "X".

i never said anything about US citizens born abroad.

if i'm wrong please show me.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Certain knuckleheads actually believe that British Nationality Act of 1948 implies sovereign dominion over American citizens of British parentage going back as far as the establishment of the first British colony.
Good grief. Do we really need to review what the US State Department has to say about dual nationals again?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
huh????.... what i stated was that country "X" makes everyone born in the US also a citizen of "X".

i never said anything about US citizens born abroad.
Let's review. You posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
to the point that you said the country ( or state department ) wouldn't recognize citizenship if there wasn't some kind of family link to the country giving citizenship.
My response:
Quote:
What I said was that the US State Department acknowledges the foreign citizenship claim of foreign countries on those born abroad to US citizens and/or those born in the US to a non-US citizen parent(s).
Where did you get lost?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
We've already covered that in this thread...
I'm not convinced. Sorry.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
And here we have another who cannot seem to comprehend 5.(1)(a) of the British Nationality Act of 1948, nor the US State Department info.
I comprehend it completely.

So explain... how does a nation hold a citizen accountable to their "allegiance" if they do not even know they exist?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The final few statements are where the decision, and therefore the precedent, is found.
You are wrong. Precedent is found throughout the ratio decidendi of the decision.

And the definition of natural born citizen is absolutely part of the ratio decidendi of the ruling. So it is precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
In the case of British citizenship, yes. The actual SCOTUS ruling on US citizenship defined Wong Kim Ark a CITIZEN, not a natural born citizen.
And what do real judges say about that? They call bullsh*t on it:

Quote:
Based upon the language of Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 and the guidance provided by Wong Kim Ark, we conclude that persons born within the borders of the United States are “natural born Citizens” for Article II, Section 1 purposes, regardless of the citizenship of their parents. Just as a person “born within the British dominions [was] a natural-born British subject” at the time of the framing of the U.S. Constitution, so too were those “born in the allegiance of the United States [] natural-born citizens.”

We note the fact that the Court in Wong Kim Ark did not actually pronounce the plaintiff a “natural born Citizen” using the Constitution‟s Article II language is immaterial.

Ankeny v. Governor of Indiana

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Good grief. Do we really need to review what the US State Department has to say about dual nationals again?
No we don't. You have demonstrated again and again that they do not call dual nationals foreigners.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I comprehend it completely.

So explain... how does a nation hold a citizen accountable to their "allegiance" if they do not even know they exist?
It's not very easy to remain completely anonymous. Birth certificates that must be presented for one reason or another, international travel, international residences, etc... All require that one produces one's documentation.

How did we all find out that Obama was registered as an Indonesian and a Muslim at an Indonesian school?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
It's not very easy to remain completely anonymous. Birth certificates that must be presented for one reason or another, international travel, international residences, etc... All require that one produces one's documentation.
You did not answer the question. Let's try it again:

How does a nation hold a citizen accountable to their "allegiance" if they don't even know they exist?

This is not entirely a theoretical question... let me put a finer point on it. I am a dual citizen of the United States and Italy. Under Italian law (to which you point I am obligated to follow according to the State Department) I had an obligation to serve in the Italian military. I did not know I was a dual citizen. Italy did not know I even existed... even after I had traveled their twice.

How would Italy enforce my obligation to military service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
How did we all find out that Obama was registered as an Indonesian and a Muslim at an Indonesian school?
An investigator went there specifically to find information on Obama's time in Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies