Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

several people have implied that wanting longer school years is a liberal/communist agenda. i'm failing to see the connection. someone fill me in, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Obama presses for longer school years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama - broken link)

"We have got to identify teachers who are doing well. Teachers who are not doing well, we have got to give them the support and the training to do well. And if some teachers aren't doing a good job, they've got to go," Obama said.

Now the Republicans are going to whine that Obama wants to further educate the kids. Wah wah!!

I can hear the whining already. Music to my ears.
I agree with Obama on this....we are being outdone by asian education

I believe school should be from 8 am till 5pm monday through saturday early august through early july

Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
They're already PAID for a full year - besides most aren't "teaching" the hours they are supposed to NOW - that's why we are graduating semi illiterates in this country. It might be a good thing, they would leave in droves if they are only really interested in the perks of a teaching career.
I know they get paid for the entire year, but that pay is based upon how many days a year they teach. If they teach more days a year, their union will demand, and rightfully so, that they get paid more. Be realistic, you cannot demand people work more, and then not compensate them for it.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Obama presses for longer school years - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_on_bi_ge/us_obama - broken link)

"We have got to identify teachers who are doing well. Teachers who are not doing well, we have got to give them the support and the training to do well. And if some teachers aren't doing a good job, they've got to go," Obama said.

Now the Republicans are going to whine that Obama wants to further educate the kids. Wah wah!!

What authority does the federal government have to extend the school years given that education is a state power? You know, that constitution thing?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Anecdote Flag On.
1960-1970's, small parochial school, 4 nuns for 8 grades (2 grades per classroom), 40 - 50 children per classroom. Grades ran the gamut from low to high.

No administrative staff.
No janitorial staff. (Kids swept up, took out the trash)
No school nurse.
Just 4 nuns and 200+ kids.

What was observed by many who transferred to public school: those with "C" averages earned "B"s, those with "B" averages earned "A"s, those with "A" averages, were bored to death in public schools.

Was the instruction superior or just competent?
Was the lack of administration overhead a factor?
Was the unchallenged teacher's authority a factor?
It certainly was not the money spent per pupil - in fact it was far less than in public schools (which had "free supplies and books" in those years).

Frankly, I do not expect public funded education to resolve its problems, being a hostage to conflicting political forces. It would be far better to just cut it loose. Free enterprise would generate far better results. But "Big Brother" won't be happy with that solution.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:

Bad parents are the problem, not bad teachers.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
What authority does the federal government have to extend the school years given that education is a state power? You know, that constitution thing?
Obama wouldn't know the Constitution if it slapped him in the face.

And I don't care that he was a "Constitutional Scholar". He would not be doing what he is doing if he REALLY knew and respected the Constitution.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 AM

326 posts, read 429,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I believe school should be from 8 am till 5pm monday through saturday early august through early july
I think that is too much.

One problem I recognize (at least for the districts I lived in) is the insane early starts. Many schools begin classes as early as 7:30 am. For a schedule like that a child needs to wake up at 6-6:30 am to get ready. I don't know what classes they teach at 7:30 am, but as an adult, I can't function before 9:00 am.

I think classes should not start before 8:30 and should not dismiss too early either.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
How about getting Fedzilla out of education...they were not supposed to be there in the first place.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

You cannot compare our culture with Asian culture. In most Asian countries, there is a deep respect for teachers and education. How do you compare the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies