Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times

Advertisements

I'm voting for the person and not the party.

Boy I wish I heard that more often...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
I'm voting for republicans because of the democrats and lefties on this forum. If they are what they want this country to be about I want nothing to do with them. On a broader scale, independents are going to do the same as they have seen what happens when you let these loons have any power. They realized they were had by Obama and his masters.
Your strategy is to go backwards with the Republicans (aka "tea" corporatists) again, because the Democrats could not go forwards fast enough after the REPUBLICANS put this country so far backwards (domestically AND in foreign policy AND world standing)

I think I will go out and buy a horse & buggy because the air conditioning in my car broke

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not know how Hitler and the Nazi's turned the people against the Jews.
The Jewish owned all the corporations/big businesses. They held the majority of the wealth in Germany. Jews is a racist term, if you didn't know.
Hitler knew he had to turn people against the wealth, to grab that wealth to build his Utopia. Why did he not let anyone know, he himself had Jewish blood. It was for a grab of wealth.

Quote:
How did the Republicans turn many Americans against immigrants and poor people?

Tell that to GW Bush, John McCain and Lyndsey Graham, they are the leading Progressives in the Republican ranks.

Conservatives have always been for enforcement of our illegal immigration trespassing laws. They are also in favor of the individual to set their own destiny. If you want to be lazy, that is your choice. If you want to remain ignorant that is your choice. If you want my tax dollars to pay for your bad choices, that is my choice. The collective lazy and ignorant collectively telling those that are not, to pay me, where's my cash, is nothing but a government pandering shake down. If I buy your food and give you roof over your head, what incentive do you have to get a job.?

Quote:
How did the Bushista's convince America to go to war with Iraq and Afghanistan when the 9/11 bombers were mostly Saudi Arabian?

It was not very hard after an attack like 9/11. We were ready to take on the world at that moment in time. Smart off to us and we were ready to snap. Hussein smarted off, and the fact he tried to have GW's dad assassinated was just a push.

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
I am voting Democrat because I'm too stupid to disassociate the small business owner and the corporate fat cat, both of whom will be paying more in taxes.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
YOU just turned the tables to spin this. Shame on you. That's a trademark of this generation of republicans and why I left the party at the end of the Bush years--call people fighting for civil rights racists, blame the new guy for your actions (like the economy and the war), etc. It's the old tactic of telling lies loud enough and long enough, hoping people will start to believe it's the truth. It's the republican standard now, and I can't stomach it.

Here's the truth about what the R's have been up to--deregulation and a lack of accountability on the part of big business, big business getting richer on our backs, and elected officials who support them lining their pockets from paybacks from lobbyists, lying through your teeth (for instance, weapons of mass destruction). THAT's what the republicans stand for now, mixed with a healthy variety of bat sh** crazy social conservative policies designed to distract from the real issues. If you agree with those stands--great. Vote republican. Just don't lie about the facts.
Firstly, I find it very hard to believe you were ever a Republican and if you were it was because you were raised as one and not from the choice of being one. Both partys are sucking us dry under the guise of "whatever they want tell them you'll do it" and then turning around and redistributing our wealth to their pet projects, lobbyists and anyone else who helped them get elected. When all is said and done it's about protecting their jobs and not serving the people.

With this said, do you honestly believe that Republicans "bat ^%it" is any crazier than the Dems print and spend policies? Don't you think it has all become way too polarized in both directions?

I'd like to know how "deregulation and a lack of accountability on the part of big business, big business getting richer on our backs" is a truth for you. Is big business forcing you to purchase their goods? Alternatively, do you mean like the bank bailouts, auto bailouts, AIG, Fannie MAE, Freddy MAC... tell me when I should stop listing all the BIG BUSINESSES that are truly robbing us courtesy of the DEMs. How about BIG GOVERNMENT who's "lack of accountability allows government management and UNIONS to get richer on our backs" like Los Angeles which created 52 jobs with $120M of stimulus and only had the goal of creating 120 jobs ($1m per job). Would you pay $1m to create one job and consider it a success? Apparently goverment officials do.

Just how long will it take you to wake up and realize that it doesn't matter who's in power. At some point you'll have to see that we are only given 2 paths and they both end in utter bankruptcy. Both sides of the aisle are corrupt. I can only look at the choices and make the one that has the best chance of breaking out of the political mess that's been shoved down our throats- and the DEMs are openly ignoring us with every bill they've passed. Sometimes it's a good thing to say no, they seem to be voting yes on every bill to spite us.

I'm voting Republican because it's the lessor of two evils.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

YouTube - I'm Voting Republican

Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It is common sense. I do not need to read someone's opinion to make up my own mind.

Think it thru.

Democrats created the KKK, and were lynching republicans along side blacks for decades, so why would democrats suddenly become republicans if racism was the driving factor?

Democrats were trying to stop anti-lynching laws and civil rights laws, and the republicans overwhelmingly opposed them, so why would democrats switch to the Republican Party if racism was the driving factor?

The passage of legislation like the Civil Rights Act took racism off the table, and what remained was political ideology, and the Democratic Party was becoming too liberal for the conservative democrats, so they left the party. The liberal democrats stayed, including the racist ones.
For heavens sake, read a history book. You can hold whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't make it true.

The republicans lead the reconstruction of the south post civil war--white southerners hated them for it, and the south moved solidly democratic. Southern democrats DID do the lynchings etc. at that time, but the parties were divided more along north south lines than party lines, with southerners (both the republicans and democrats) overwhelming supporting Jim Crow laws, and northerners (both democratic and republican) being opposed to them. That's why they had segregated drinking fountains, etc. in the south and not the north. During the late 1950s and early 1960s, activists started challenging those laws (remember Rosa Parks?)

In 1964, Barry Goldwater broke ranks with the northern republicans and ran on a conservative states rights platform as a republican--meaning let the states do what they want to do as far as civil rights. He opposed the civil rights act of 1964. The shift started then, when for the first time, many southern states went republican. Following the passage of the civil rights acts of 1964 and 1968, and the voting rights act of 1965, Lyndon Johnson (a democrat) backed by both northern democrats and republicans, promptly went to work enforcing the law. The southern democrats hated Johnson for it. In 1968, Richard Nixon saw an opportunity to take the south by following the "southern strategy" and running on a "states rights, law and order." campaign. He was aided by southern politicians like Strom Thurmond and Harry Dent, who changed parties during the mid 60s from Democrat to republican over civil rights. That's when the deal was sealed in the south, and the republicans took power.

I could care less what name a party uses--I care about what they stand for NOW. The same people who were racist democrats pre-1960s became racist republicans in opposition to the civil rights movement, and the moderate northern republicans who supported civil rights have now fit under the umbrella of the democratic party. Forty years later, the issues between the parties have diverged far beyond civil rights issues, but don't try to rewrite history by claiming the republicans (in modern history) were champions of that issue.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Jewish owned all the corporations/big businesses. They held the majority of the wealth in Germany. Jews is a racist term, if you didn't know.
Hitler knew he had to turn people against the wealth, to grab that wealth to build his Utopia. Why did he not let anyone know, he himself had Jewish blood. It was for a grab of wealth.
Hitler had jewish blood? There is no 100% proof of that.

Hitler was obsessed with race. He wanted Germany to be free of everyone that was not Aryan.
Also, anti-semitism didn't start with Hitler; it was present in Europe way before that.

Quote:
It was not very hard after an attack like 9/11. We were ready to take on the world at that moment in time. Smart off to us and we were ready to snap. Hussein smarted off, and the fact he tried to have GW's dad assassinated was just a push.
You mean not having WMD?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
[quote=steven_h;16064541] ... I'm voting Republican because it's the lessor of two evils. [/quote]

yes, to corporations.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
For heavens sake, read a history book. You can hold whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't make it true.

The republicans lead the reconstruction of the south post civil war--white southerners hated them for it, and the south moved solidly democratic. Southern democrats DID do the lynchings etc. at that time, but the parties were divided more along north south lines than party lines, with southerners (both the republicans and democrats) overwhelming supporting Jim Crow laws, and northerners (both democratic and republican) being opposed to them. That's why they had segregated drinking fountains, etc. in the south and not the north. During the late 1950s and early 1960s, activists started challenging those laws (remember Rosa Parks?)

In 1964, Barry Goldwater broke ranks with the northern republicans and ran on a conservative states rights platform as a republican--meaning let the states do what they want to do as far as civil rights. He opposed the civil rights act of 1964. The shift started then, when for the first time, many southern states went republican. Following the passage of the civil rights acts of 1964 and 1968, and the voting rights act of 1965, Lyndon Johnson (a democrat) backed by both northern democrats and republicans, promptly went to work enforcing the law. The southern democrats hated Johnson for it. In 1968, Richard Nixon saw an opportunity to take the south by following the "southern strategy" and running on a "states rights, law and order." campaign. He was aided by southern politicians like Strom Thurmond and Harry Dent, who changed parties during the mid 60s from Democrat to republican over civil rights. That's when the deal was sealed in the south, and the republicans took power.

I could care less what name a party uses--I care about what they stand for NOW. The same people who were racist democrats pre-1960s became racist republicans in opposition to the civil rights movement, and the moderate northern republicans who supported civil rights have now fit under the umbrella of the democratic party. Forty years later, the issues between the parties have diverged far beyond civil rights issues, but don't try to rewrite history by claiming the republicans (in modern history) were champions of that issue.

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You post is historically accurate and on point. The Conservatives have constantly used this argument about the Republican Party being the Party of Civil Rights it's only accurate to a limited extent and it's intellectually dishonest as hell.

Even the Republican Party pre-Civil Right Era has some blemishes on it's record as it pertains to civil rights for Black Americans. The Compromise of 1877 allowed a Republican, Rutherford B. Hayes, to assume the Presidency in an election that was closely disputed over electoral votes. In exchange for Southern Democrats giving the electoral votes for several Southern states to Hayes, the Republican Party promised to remove federal troops from the South. These troops were put there to protect the civil rights of Black Americans and prevent acts of violence and voter intimidation. If would take about another 80 years for Civil Rights Era to come for Black Americans to get back the civil rights that they lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies