Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times

Advertisements

Ramsay has saved thousands from food poisioning by helping to shut down roach motels around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

Point taken but something pushed this man over the edge and I am sure that appearance was the end of his business.
You're sure of that? How can you possibly be?

ovcatto, your post was spot on, but I can't rep you at the moment.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Point taken but something pushed this man over the edge and I am sure that appearance was the end of his business. Maybe the guy was looking to improve his business and Ramsey put the final nail in his coffin with his belittling. (no pun intended)

I have seen Gordon Ramsey and I cannot stand his abusive behavior. People do watch the show which adds to his ratings. High paid thug if you ask me. JMO
Eh, I doubt it. I was not aware that the chef in question appeared on said show three years ago and just recently did this. If there was a shorter time period, I'd buy it, but not under the given conditions.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Ramsay's UK kitchen nightmares is much better. More focus on food rather than the drama.
agreed. i love the concept of the show but hate how it falls into a standard formula.

as crass and rude as ramsey can be i think he provides a valuable service to the people who agree to his torment ( at least on "kitchen nightmares" ). the man knows his stuff and sometimes it takes a sledgehammer to the head to get the point across.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Point taken but something pushed this man over the edge and I am sure that appearance was the end of his business. Maybe the guy was looking to improve his business and Ramsey put the final nail in his coffin with his belittling. (no pun intended)

I have seen Gordon Ramsey and I cannot stand his abusive behavior. People do watch the show which adds to his ratings. High paid thug if you ask me. JMO
From the OP's link:

"Cerniglia's business managed to survive after Ramsay made a series of changes and held a grand reopening.
In fact, patrons yesterday said the eatery had been thriving."

Essentially this entire article is typical of the NY Post who simply like to print stories with the most 'celebrity' value possible. They are simply trying to sell papers by capitalizing on this poor man's suicide and his previous relationship with Mr. Ramsey. There is not a single word or sentence in the article that suggests that his experience with Mr. Ramsey contributed in any way to his suicide, but, of course, they want you to think that there is, 'cause it sells more papers/drives more traffic to their website. If they were genuinely interested in this man's life, they would have concentrated on what was going on this year, not three years ago.
Seriously, they might as well be the National Enquirer.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:01 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
From the OP's link:

"Cerniglia's business managed to survive after Ramsay made a series of changes and held a grand reopening.
In fact, patrons yesterday said the eatery had been thriving."

Essentially this entire article is typical of the NY Post who simply like to print stories with the most 'celebrity' value possible. They are simply trying to sell papers by capitalizing on this poor man's suicide and his previous relationship with Mr. Ramsey. There is not a single word or sentence in the article that suggests that his experience with Mr. Ramsey contributed in any way to his suicide, but, of course, they want you to think that there is, 'cause it sells more papers/drives more traffic to their website. If they were genuinely interested in this man's life, they would have concentrated on what was going on this year, not three years ago.
Seriously, they might as well be the National Enquirer.
Its the NY Post, what else do you expect.....

Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
#1 He's a bit of a food snob
and
#2 He seems to yell and curse a lot. That isn't help. You can help others and be nice to them at the same time.
Geezus Kriste TK, you don't get a Michellin Star much less 12 of the damned things for cooking like the Olive Garden!

So, he yells and screams, from time to time in my youth I found myself working for some extremely hard to please restauranteurs that made Ramsey seem like Mother Theresa. Having said that, despite Ramsey's histrionics reading the testimonials of the folks who have undergone his interventions, the vast majority credit him with not only saving their businesses but also bring families much closer together. Jus'saying.

Here is what Cerniglia had to say at the time:
Joe Cerniglia was helping the casting company scout restaurants for the first season of Kitchen Nightmares when he decided to propose his own place, Campania in Fairlawn, as a candidate. He had bought the Italian restaurant in 2005 but was losing money. Like Posner after him, he thought Ramsay would spur changes he couldn’t pull off on his own. “If I did it without him, I would have incurred a lot of fallout [from regulars], and I thought it would be the kiss of death for me,” he says.

He wound up with a near-death experience. On camera in the dining room, with customers around, Ramsay criticized the huge portions Cerniglia, a self-taught chef, was serving and said they made no economic sense. This led to an on-camera shouting match, but in the end Cerniglia came around to Ramsay’s point of view—that he was losing money because his menu was too big, meaning a lot of unordered food was going to waste, and because portions were excessive.

As part of the menu makeover, Ramsay and Cerniglia collaborated on a recipe that Ramsay suggested Campania bill as “New Jersey’s best meatballs.” Cerniglia put them on the menu as a spaghetti-and- meatball entrée and as a side dish, and they continue to sell well. “The most important change was streamlining the menu, going from this encyclopedic menu to a nice, two-page menu focusing on seasonal picks. Overall, it helped our food costs and execution. That was the most important change,” Cerniglia says.

“I almost feel guilty about how well it worked out for us. I’m just extremely grateful we had the opportunity, and it was exactly what we needed to really get us from losing money to breaking even to making money now.”
Kitchen Nightmares with Chef Gordon Ramsay Features a Restaurant in Whitehouse Station-www.njmonthly.com

Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
What passes for "entertainment" for the general public is a shame. I feel like a better person for not watching any of them. Yes, I feel superior to the masses.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,741,931 times
^^^ I agree Ceece

I made a huge mistake of venturing in here...I thought I was believe it or not the Food/Drink thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies