Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,422,568 times

Advertisements

Well whats the difference between the "income redistribution" and the social programs that've been around for years. Kind of like taking parking spots from people who "don't need them" and giving them to the people who "really" need them. Now they're just doing it with your money. Soon the flood gates will be open and everyone will really "need" your money more than you do (so says a governmental agency and who are we to question their judgement right Apiesmom?) and you'll be left with what ever they deceide is ok for you. Sucks when it's the other way around right Apie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,824,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You don't get it. The two go hand in hand.

When corporations pay dirt wages which they can by bringing in truckloads of illegals to bring the wages down to rock bottom, the taxpayers are expected to fork out their hard earned money for the Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, Section 8, unemployment and much much more to maintain this. Not only must the unemployed displaced Americans be given unemployment and welfare handouts, the illegals brought in cannot support their large families on the wages given them.

There are reasons the elitists want to keep the borders open and immigration unlimited even when Americans are unemployed in very large numbers.
My family used WIC. I was a U.S. Air Force soldier at the time. Qualified without a sweat. IF I recall, we also qualified for food stamps. My wife wouldn't let me get them...she was too proud. I wasn't. To me, it's the same as free money. I paid taxes..... and it's kind of funny if you think about it. I paid taxes for programs that helped me when I wasn't making enough to not need them. Funny...or sad. Either way, gimme my free cheese, milk, juice and peanut butter.

Wanna hear something even more hilarious. You had to use it for "Store brands" - not Kraft cheeses - for example. However, we shopped in the base commissary....which doesn't have store brands. Hello, Kraft cheese.

United Farm Workers' Offer: Go Ahead, Take Our Jobs | NBC Los Angeles

Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers, said workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-illegal immigration activists for taking American jobs.

So the UFW is challenging citizens to apply for some of the thousands of agricultural jobs posted with state agencies.
And, they'll make it easy for applicants. Just fill out this form and you'll be trained and connected to farms in need of workers.

Last edited by 70Ford; 09-29-2010 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 AM

95 posts, read 141,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Those workers don't create wealth, they produce products for the executives who create the wealth. A factory worker is replaceable, the person who came up with the idea for the product is not.

OP - those are two VERY different topics. Starvation wages and cheap labor are NOT the same thing. Starvation wages are never ok. The concept of cheap is VERY relative though. If a person is happy with the wage they are getting, and it is enough to cover their needs, then it is OK. The concept of cheap labor is meaningless. What is considered cheap labor to a wealthy American (and by world standards, the majority of the people on this board are wealthy) could very possibly be a very comfortable wage that can feed a family in a third world country.

Starvation wages and cheap labor are NOT the same thing?

Tell that to the person trying to support a family on a wage consistent with most factories in the United States. Not everyone that has a low level job at a factory or retail store is single with no kids. Also, they may not have the ability to advance into a position above factory work.

Wealth is created on the backs of others, like always. Ideas for creating wealth are everywhere, the common denominator is having the people/resources in place to put those ideas in motion.

Workers in the United States have determined the minimum level of prosperity they want to enjoy. They want to own a home, and the things that go along with that. It used to be possible to attain that on a workers wages. I am not saying that it was easy, only that it was possible.

Today, the workers position is not respected, especially when you can offshore a lot of labor to other places. The "Idea" people think they are entitled to all of the credit when something becomes successful, while the the workers who actually made the dream a reality are never mentioned.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,629,280 times
The minimum wage is lower in the US than most other developed countries, and the historical policy reason is interesting - it was to encourage employers to take on more low-skilled employees than they otherwise might, pay the low wage, let the employee build up some skills/seniority, and have the government fill in the financial gap with welfare/workfare programs.

So instead of implementing something like an Australian minimum wage of $15 per hour, ours is set at $7.25, with the expectation that the government will pick up the slack (since, obviously, it is difficult to live off of $7.25 per hour, especially considering that a lot of those jobs are part-time only, or lack benefits of any sort).

However, the "conveyor belt" between those low-paid positions and better-paying work seems to be breaking down. You won't necessarily start out at $7.25 and then manage to "work yourself up" to a self-sustaining wage. You might be mired in the $7.25 to $9 range indefinitely. You might have to bounce from job to job and start over at $7.25 every time.

This isn't really how things were supposed to work in our economy, but it's happening anyhow.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,918,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
The title pretty much says it all.

I would like to hear how people justify confiscating money from the people that earn it so that they may give it to those who did not earn it.

Please answer the question only with intelligent and sound responses and remain on topic. Do not turn this into another verbal food fight by throwing out what ever you can think of. Any off subject responses will be considered trolling.

If you think you can intelligently articulate a sound basis for "starvation wages/cheap labor" please do so. If not, don't reply.
Starvation wages? That is simply FALSE! When Nike opens a factory, why do you think there is a line to apply. Why have many locals call it a "God Send?" It's cheaper to live there than it is here. Yes, they still can't have a lavish life or health care benefits, but it's still much better having those factories than not at all. Idiot lol!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,843,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You seem to think that we should just say start paying the fry cook at McDonalds$15 an hour

What do you think would happen if we did that?

Do you think McDonalds would have to increase their prices to pay for the fry cook earning 15.00 an hour

Also you dont seem to mind the gov confiscating peoples money that they earn.
Well McD's could learn that reasonable profit is acceptable and valuable to long term viability. The Fry Cook, might now actually be able to be able to feed his/her familiy, pay for clothes and housing, etc. Who knows, could go back to a trend when Corporations valued employees, recognized their well being is tied to the Corporate well being. If that concept was resurrected across the board, we actually could return to an economy where the people and Corps were thriving.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,197,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep on livin View Post
Starvation wages and cheap labor are NOT the same thing?

Tell that to the person trying to support a family on a wage consistent with most factories in the United States. Not everyone that has a low level job at a factory or retail store is single with no kids. Also, they may not have the ability to advance into a position above factory work.

Wealth is created on the backs of others, like always. Ideas for creating wealth are everywhere, the common denominator is having the people/resources in place to put those ideas in motion.

Workers in the United States have determined the minimum level of prosperity they want to enjoy. They want to own a home, and the things that go along with that. It used to be possible to attain that on a workers wages. I am not saying that it was easy, only that it was possible.

Today, the workers position is not respected, especially when you can offshore a lot of labor to other places. The "Idea" people think they are entitled to all of the credit when something becomes successful, while the the workers who actually made the dream a reality are never mentioned.
Did you actually read what I wrote or just fixate on that one line? Please re-read what I said and post again. thanks.

And by the way, owning a home is NOT a right. It is a luxury.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,356,365 times
Of course no one can. They'd be outed as the inhumane tyrants they truly are

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM

20,307 posts, read 19,899,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
.....I would like to hear how people justify confiscating money from the people that earn it so that they may give it to those who did not earn it..
"Confiscate"? As in forced wealth redistribution?

Like you, I find it very difficult to justify it.

Unfortunately, we have too many that elect politicians who relish the thought of taking from you and giving it to their constituents and pet voting blocs.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 PM

20,307 posts, read 19,899,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
....., while those who don't deserve it may be managers etc.
My employer gets rid of underperforming managers as they are not unionized.

You don't deliver, you don't stay on the gravy train.

The only thing that may get in the way of unloading the unproductive is an EEO charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies