Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,724,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
This is what Obama wants. HE wants the people to depend on the government.
Limbaugh has totally brainwashed you!

You actually believe that Obama wants people living below the poverty line and unable to buy food to feed their families?

Is there any logic in that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 03:01 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,789,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The number of people getting food stamps, the number of people we are supposed to feel sorry for and spend more money on, is GREATLY EXAGGARATED. Just like the number of homeless people is. It's all BS.
On which planet is it that you live? Did you just crash land from another planet? Denial does not discount the truth. No one said you feel sorry for anyone either. That's on you.

This may be too long or perhaps too truthful to hold your attention but here it goes anyway...

State of the Homeless 2010 | Coalition for the Homeless

...this includes unemployment as well. Our governor is a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
You need to come to Phoenix & see how the food banks are busted & the homeless shelters are filled to capacity....It is not BS
We have over 300 hundred thousand out of work & many more who are only working part time & have taken pay cuts that don't allow them to even feed their families.
The Salvation Army food shelf here in Plattsburgh NY goes bare on a daily basis. They have trouble with the free lunches they give Mon. - Fri. too. I know this, because I 'work' in the thrift store and speak with the very busy manager/coordinator that stops several times a week. But it's all just exaggerated.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Jay, I don't think anyone will disagree that there certainly is some fraud.
There is however way more fraud going on in this country, insurance,banks,mortgage companies, corporations & government.
The amount that goes on with food stamps is minute in comparison.
We should focus on embarrasing some of the bigger fish committing fraud than wasting time on food stamp recipients.
Short, sweet, and to the point. Mine exactly.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM

58,701 posts, read 26,982,562 times
Answers.com - How many federal agencies are there
"Louisana State University Federal Agency Directory lists over 1,300 distinct organizations across all three branches of federal government: Legislative branch (Congress); Executive branch (President and departments and independent agencies); and Judicial branch (Supreme Court and Circuit Courts)". link: LSU Libraries -- (http://www.lib.lsu.edu/gov/fedgov.html - broken link)

Food stamp fraud may steal $400M from stimulus funds - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

"The program is poised for a historic expansion with the addition of $20 billion in federal stimulus money. About $400 million, or 2 percent, of that will be lost to fraud, according to government estimates".

The point is, there is a lot a fraud in the federal gov't. There should be an ongoing action to ensure the taxpayers money is used for which it was designated.

As one congressman said, Ibelieve, "a million here, a million there, soon we are talking about a lot of money" or something to that affect.

100 to 400 million in food stamp fraud is NOT acceptible.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,634,878 times
Quote:

Oh & that will be great for the country won't it?
Grow up & realize but, for the grace of God go I.
If you think losing your job,home & health can't happen to you, then I hope it never does.
Wow, sarcasm is really lost on you

Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
More people are getting food stamps because they are no longer making the wages they did previously or they are out of work.
This is not a conspiracy by Obama or the Dems. Our economy is in the toilet & the fault lies with both parties.
Tighter control of what people can buy with food stamps equals MORE gov control. Isn't that against a certain parties principles or is it another one of those things we are supposed to ignore while they shout 'less government' & really mean ' only when WE say so'?
Working together to bring our jobs back & create more of them is what we need to do.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,732,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Wow, sarcasm is really lost on you
Maybe so....sometimes

I get really heated when I read posts from some who think the problems this country has are the fault of those who need help.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If there are that many and 11 million of them have joined up in the past 2 years it appears that there is something awry in our nation. What could it possibly be?

"Record 40.8 Million People On Food Stamps" - Patriot Update (http://patriotupdate.com/stories/read/5242/Record-40-8-Million-People-On-Food-Stamps - broken link)
With 18-20 million illegal immigrants and more legal immigrants, getting to 40,8 million is not much of a stretch. I'm surprised that there aren't more.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM

52,411 posts, read 34,133,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What gets me is that here in CA they were going out of their way and spending money to advertise food stamps because there was more money in the program than there was people applying. The big push was to get everyone who qualified enrolled. I say WTH? If someone doesn't want or need a handout why in the world would we try to force the issue? Apparently there were concerns that illegals weren't signing up becasue they feared being turned in. SO WHAT?

The number of people getting food stamps, the number of people we are supposed to feel sorry for and spend more money on, is GREATLY EXAGGARATED. Just like the number of homeless people is. It's all BS.
here's an interesting claim made on the NYT link someone posted earlier:

Quote:
California enrolls just half of those eligible for aid, a proportion lower than any other state.
i have no idea if that's true but it could explain why CA seems to be falling all over themselves to get people to sign up.

and another story on EBT cards-

Quote:
Walmart shoppers fill the stores around 11 p.m. on the last day of the month, loading their carts with staples such as infant formula, milk, bread and eggs.
They mill about, then line up to checkout at midnight, at the moment their electronic benefits cards, or food stamps, are refilled. This is the scenario at Walmart stores across the country, said Bill Simon, president and CEO of Walmart's U.S. division, who spoke during a Goldman Sachs Retail Conference last week.
Economics of Walmart predict more hard times | NewsOK.com

Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,724,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I think its spelled O-B-A-M-A.

YouTube - GOP Kills Welfare-To-Work Extension - Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies