Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should you be able to buy a Wedding Cake with Food Stamps ?
Yes - Why not ? Also liquor or trade for non-foods or cash .. 3 3.90%
Yes - Buy what you want , Uncle Sam does not care. 9 11.69%
No - Only Food . 41 53.25%
No - Only gov'ment issued cheeses, cereal and p. butter 6 7.79%
No -Food Stamps should be abolished. 11 14.29%
No- Only those drug tested should receive food stamps. 21 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I've been away from this forum for literally years and it's amazing how much WORSE it is than I remember.

My first post I get two bullies.... and they are the only ones posting.

You two should date!
After years of being away, you thought a good début post would be to perpetuate ridiculous stereotypes and express envy at how high on the hog the poor are living? How did you hope this was going to go? Everyone was going to join in on a good old fashioned hate-fest on poor people? Maybe throw in some thinly veiled racist remarks too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Gotcha. You first claim was that "She went back and came back up with Lobster Tails and Shrimp. When she paid, I realized that her method of payment was EBT Food Stamps... "
I'm sorry you misunderstood. There was no difference in my story.

Apparently, I should have indicated that she completed the first purchase and then came back through my line.

So sorry that I didn't make myself clear for you.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I live in Maryland, which has a high percentage of people on Social Assistance. I can say that the majority of people with EBT cards buy completely normal food. About the only time I ever see them buying luxury goods is getting crabs in the summer. And even that isn't a regular experience.
The people I see at the supermarket have their store flyers with them, watch the charges ring up like a hawk, and have a bunch of store and manufacturers coupons to make their dollar go further.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
After years of being away, you thought a good début post would be to perpetuate ridiculous stereotypes express envy at how high on the hog the poor are living? How did you hope this was going to go? Everyone was going to join in on a good old fashioned hate-fest for hate people? Maybe throw in some thinly veiled racist remarks too?
You know, it's funny. I actually had feedback from a previous post on this particular thread that got me thinking about it. The feedback was from February 2015.

There are no rules that say you can't bump an old thread. The issue is still current.

I'm not a hater and I'm certainly not a racist... but I do believe that the Food Stamp program is being abused.

You, on the other hand, are clearly not a very nice person. And, from reading through some other people's responses to some of your posts, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

You win. I'm outta here!~

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-22-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You know, it's funny. I actually had feedback from a previous post on this thread that got me thinking about it. The feedback was from March of 2015.

I'm not a hater and I'm certainly not a racist... but I do believe that the Food Stamp program is being abused.

You, on the other hand, are clearly not a very nice person. And, from reading through some other people's responses to some of your posts, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

You win. I'm outta here!~
So your never going to clue me in on your current food budget and diet? If you're jealous of people who have $4 a day to spend on food, I'd love to know what you're currently spending.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
So your never going to clue me in on your current food budget and diet? If you're jealous of people who have $4 a day to spend on food, I'd love to know what you're currently spending.
As I previously said, there are many weeks that I have no money left for groceries after I pay bills.

And, I've never received public assistance.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
As I previously said, there are many weeks that I have no money left for groceries after I pay bills.

And, I've never received public assistance.
If you're not eating for weeks at a time, you need to apply for food stamps, world. You'll likely qualify. No, you won't be eating steak and lobster every night, but you will be able to afford basic subsistence ... $4 a day doesn't go far.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
If you're not eating for weeks at a time, you need to apply for food stamps, world. You'll likely qualify. No, you won't be eating steak and lobster every night, but you will be able to afford basic subsistence ... $4 a day doesn't go far.
You are so smart about food stamps, you must already know that people who work and make minumum wage don't usually qualify for food stamps --- because they make too much money.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
You are so smart about food stamps, you must already know that people who work and make minumum wage don't usually qualify for food stamps --- because they make too much money.
That's not true. If you're making minimum wage, you probably qualify for an extra $70 a month or so. If you seriously are not eating for weeks on end as you claim, you should look into it.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Food Stamp Benefit Calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies