Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
word games...
yup, that's as good an explanation as any for the incredibly insipid 'logic' the teabagger!!!-screechers are using
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I live in teabag country, and was invited to multiple tea party events. When people first started getting involved in these events, and especially when they were trying to get people to mail tea bags to their elected officials, they did refer to themselves as teabaggers. It was cute, and reflected some of what they were doing. But when the sexual connotations became more widely known, people who had referred to themselves as teabaggers stopped, because they didn't find it amusing. They referred to themselves as tea-partiers, tea party goers, and so on.

I have no problem using the terminology that a group selects for themselves, and when they change terminology, I think it appropriate to change my terminology as well. I think this is part of what tolerance is about. Political movements are always changing, always in metamorphosis. Ignoring how a political movement is developing is about marginalizing it. I think marginalizing people and perspectives is never a good thing, especially in a political system such as ours where the will of the people is supposed to be the driving force.

I disagree with many tea party goers. But I'd rather argue about ideas and ideologies than about the names we use for one another.
i live in the same area, and never saw the self-labeling you describe. but as for the rest of your take - spot on.

by the convoluted reasoning so many leftists here are using, if one homosexual person in the world ever called themself - or another homosexual - a ***, for example- that one person speaks for and ultimately labels every other homosexual on the planet, and the rest of the world can joyfully and insipidly call all homosexuals **** from this point on

Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
» I’m Proud to Be a Tea Bagger - Big Government

I’m Proud to Be a Tea Bagger
by Andrew Breitbart (editor of The Drudge Report)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
» I’m Proud to Be a Tea Bagger - Big Government

I’m Proud to Be a Tea Bagger
by Andrew Breitbart (editor of The Drudge Report)
finally.

so andrew breitbart refers to himself as a tea bagger. i will ask you what i've asked many people whose lives seem to center around using the phrase 'tea-bagger' :

if a black person refers to himself as a [n-word], or a homosexual calls him/herself a *****, ***, or fairy - did they magically give you carte blanche to forever after refer to all blacks and homosexuals by those names?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
With all the words and labels that are considered hate speech and slurs in today's world, why have liberals taken to the double entendre term "Teabaggers" to show their HATE of the Tea Party Movement.

Just watch the smirks and smiles as liberal commentators use the term to describe a political movement.

Even this Forum puts up with this term for now as acceptable. No asterisks on the above term. Come on liberals lets hear your rationalizations for the term in question. Get ready for the hate because here it comes.

Even our wonderful President likes to use the term describing the oral fondling of male genitalia. Thanks for the change Mr President. I guess if the Pres can use the term its not hate speech yet.

Obama Calls Tea Partiers 'Tea-Baggers' | The Atlantic Wire

I guess its sticks and stones for the Teabaggers but libelous slander for the "you decide"
Honestly, I can't recall having ever used the term tea baggers. I don't like commentators and I don't think I should be responsible for the entire liberal section. I think I came across another post elsewhere of yours that said it was a sexual term. I had to look it up because I had never heard it used in that manner.

So, I'll tell you what. I won't hold you responsible for people and things beyond your control like Byron Williams or a local Fox alleged pedophile or people who state that they have "dabbled in witchcraft" if you stop trying to get me to come up with some explanation for god knows what all under the liberal category, like IDK, the term teabaggers or crazy people that hold people hostage.

I do think, however, that this deal will require pinky swearing. As it is the only truly unbreakable promise keeper left.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Honestly, I can't recall having ever used the term tea baggers. I don't like commentators and I don't think I should be responsible for the entire liberal section. I think I came across another post elsewhere of yours that said it was a sexual term. I had to look it up because I had never heard it used in that manner.

So, I'll tell you what. I won't hold you responsible for people and things beyond your control like Byron Williams or a local Fox alleged pedophile or people who state that they have "dabbled in witchcraft" if you stop trying to get me to come up with some explanation for god knows what all under the liberal category, like IDK, the term teabaggers or crazy people that hold people hostage.

I do think, however, that this deal will require pinky swearing. As it is the only truly unbreakable promise keeper left.
I'll pinky swear. I swear to never use the term teabaggers again. Henceforth, I will use the term "Palin's Posse" and make damn sure to use spell check whenever I post it.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'll pinky swear. I swear to never use the term teabaggers again. Henceforth, I will use the term "Palin's Posse" and make damn sure to use spell check whenever I post it.
Wait.....

Can't breathe....

Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Besides--they picked the name themselves. I don't use the term--not because I think it's WRONG to use it, but because it's a vulgar term.

No, they did not pick that term. They picked TEA Party and TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The Left is an evil bunch of cowards. They just love to slander people and use derogatory terms towards them. Actually the Left is the most childish bunch of people I've ever witnessed.
Ah.. the old "accuse the Democrats of the Republicans' weakness" bit. I haven't seen such childish behavior from adults in my life as how the Republicans have acted since Obama took office. We all know who the playground bullies grow up to be Republicans

Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
And as for the term "teabagger", the movement is so hilarious, it would be hard not to make fun of the morons who follow it. I know the Republicans would never make fun of DemocRATS, now would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies