Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times

Advertisements

my thoughts~ in the order they came up

1. those cupcakes are pretty~ it's something I'd order for my granddaughter's birthday party

2. why did the people ordering make a big deal of the symbolic thing?

3. guess the baker doesn't know how to layer to make rainbow cake

4. Why didn't the baker just say he didn't know how to make rainbow cakes instead of making a big thing of it? Would have defused situation petty fast.

5. Are his daughters even aware that rainbow cupcakes are subsersive?

6. Was anyone that read this post aware that rainbow cupcakes were a symbol of gay rights till they rtead the story?

7 Big todo about nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It's not the cupcakes, it was these overly colorful cupcakes stand for.
Whoosh.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM

61 posts, read 68,744 times
Maybe this will help clear up allot of the arguments and maybe start some more?

LegalMatch: Business Law: Civil Rights

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It's not the cupcakes, it was these overly colorful cupcakes stand for.
Gays can correct me if I'm wrong, but it stands for their right to exist. Anyone taking it upon themselves to 'vote gays out' of their citizenship can expect a lifelong argument and protest from me because nobody has that right. Nobody. Period.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
If they don't normally make rainbow colored food then they shouldn't have to make it by request. It's not a good business decision to refuse, but they can be inflexible when it comes to a request for them to make something they don't usually make. I don't agree with the bakery, just to be clear, and if I stay in this thread I'm sure I will have to say that more than once.

Our business, while it's not related to food and is not open to the general public because of our specific field, will customize anything for anybody. We're not interested in what people do in their private lives, and we are interested in staying in business.
If they want to turn people away during this trying time, then too bad for them if it comes back to bite them in the behind. Again, they shouldn't be required to make a specific style of baked good that they don't normally make, but it's not a good business move.

And the next move will be someone from that group returning and placing an order such as a cake with writing along the lines of "John Loves Dave", and they will refuse that. Then they will have a real problem on their hands.
The bold is how I think most businesses operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I agree with this.

I think its awful that this business is refusing service, but I do think its their right to do so.

Would it be any different if the shop owner refused to make cupcakes for a political campaign if he didn't agree with them? Or bake a cake for a KKK rally because he thought they were wrong?
I think the cupcakes for a political campaign the owner didn't agree with should not be refused, if he's interested in making money. The KKK I'd have a little trouble with if it were me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I think using the children as an excuse to disguise their fear of someone who's sexual preference is different than their own is disgusting.
It is their right as business owners to refuse who they want but, one can hope they will pay for their bigotry by suffering loss of revenue.
They are idiots.
I agree.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bold is how I think most businesses operate.

I think the cupcakes for a political campaign the owner didn't agree with should not be refused, if he's interested in making money. The KKK I'd have a little trouble with if it were me.

I agree.
I'd have no problem making cupcakes for a KKK meeting. I don't think they'd enjoy them though.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM

228 posts, read 507,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
To force everyone to accept an abnormal lifestyle as normal. It's not.
They are not forcing anyone to accept an abnormal lifestyle. You don't like the lifestyle, I don't like the lifestyle but I keep my mouth shut and allow them to live the lifestyle. It's not my place or yours to take their right to live it away from them. To accuse them of trying to force their way of life on us is a roundabout way of saying you are willing to take away that right for people to choose the lifestyle they want to live.

Again, I don't agree with their lifestyle myself, but as long as the United States is a free country, there is a price for that freedom and that price is we have to tolerate a great many things we don't necessarily agree with. As far as I'm concerned, this country belongs to me as much as it belongs to you and the gays and the people who post on CD everyday.

Just remember that if The Constitution can protect the homosexuals then it can protect the rest of us.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbug View Post
Shouldn't Bakery Be Allowed to Refuse Gays? | The Stir

Bigotry in the baking business

Owner
Owner
If I was the bakery owner, all I would've done is tell the group is that we don't have the ingredients or we don't know how to make the rainbow cupcakes. Then I'd tell them to call a competitor. I would never let personal politics get in the way of my business because of the possibility of bad press or losing potential customers.

As the article said, it's not like they asked for anything provocative or something grossly inappropriate (like those NJ parents who named their kid Adolf Hitler).

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM

85 posts, read 105,041 times
I am always amused when I meet someone who thinks, say, a March for Rights is "cramming liberal beliefs down one's throat," but thinks that using loaded terms like "far left liberal crybabies" or "extreme gay agenda" or "forcing unnatural lifestyles" - or especially, quoting anything Rush Limbaugh says as "truth" - is Just Par For The Course and no, not pushing any ideology at all.

About that whole "abnormal lifestyle" thing...many of the "normals" of American society - amassing mountains of credit card debt, buying more house than you can afford, staying married to someone you can't stand because it's "the right thing to do," and adhering to specific gender roles whether or not they work for you because doing anything else is abhorrent all seem messed up to me.

But hey, whatever floats boats, you know?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
No such thing as lazy in business. Additional charge for labor intensity would have been the polite way, but instead they decided to make it personal and be rude to customers. Perhaps someday when the gay florist decides to deny bigots service or hand bigots an estimate of $5,000 for funeral flowers that shouldn't be more than $500 they'll understand how morally repulsive their own behavior really is. The gay cop could drag his feet getting there if they're being robbed. The gay mortician being less than compassionate, the gay banker refusing a business loan, the gay doctor putting you last on his rounds... once people entitle themselves to abuse others this never ends. Knock it off.
I agree. The door swings both ways, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies