Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
How can you apologize to a dead person? How can a dead person forgive?
It's to influence the jury pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
How can you apologize to a dead person? How can a dead person forgive?
Umm....an apology to the family of the deceased.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:51 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Umm....an apology to the family of the deceased.
Only the victim can forgive.

Have you ever read the sunflower?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Absolute rubbish. This has nothing to do with your God. I notice in your chain email that the Golden Rule only applies to people of faith? What about atheists, people of color, people of different nationalities or sexual orientations or political beliefs. I am so tired of this double standard. Either you truly believe in the Golden Rule, or you don't, you can't be selective.

I am an atheist. My children have been brought up to be respectful of others, and treat others kindly. This has nothing to do with the removal of your God from the public square, this has to do with parents being parents and not enabling bullies, and as has been demonstarted on this thread, the growing trend of blaming the victim is shameful. These kids are punks, what they did was wrong.

I posted someone elsey's reply to the situation---go tell her, not me.

BUT, there is something to be said for heavenly retribution when parents are not there to discipline. The all seeing eye as it were. Kids who believe their actions are answerable to a higher power besides those who see them or can catch them doing wrong, do stop to think longer if something is wrong. How do I know?---it influenced me---from personal experience and from my friends.

Of course, you can be moral without believing in God but thinking one will disappoint ones parents and God puts a double responsibility on a person's shoulders. You may think that is bad, I personally think that is good.

The poster I quoted thinks it is good to have a spiritual influence for ones actions. Those kids hatched their evil plan in secret---you can't have secrets from God. Maybe if they stopped for one second to think about that, it may have stopped them from going ahead with what they did.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Is anyone here denying it is bad? The quesiton is criminality and hate crimes?
Criminality? Absolutely.
Hate Crime? I don't believe in them specifically since they always involve "crime" in the first place.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Men have taped the women with whom they've had sex millions of millions of times. Why do people get all up in arms the minute it's a MAN being taped? It's wrong- no matter who taped who. Him being gay has nothing to do with it. In fact, it's a crime!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:53 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Men have taped the women with whom they've had sex millions of millions of times. Why do people get all up in arms the minute it's a MAN being taped? It's wrong- no matter who taped who. Him being gay has nothing to do with it. In fact, it's a crime!
That reminds me, the only reason the hofstra hoax guys got off criminal charges and got the woman to confness she made it up, was because they had filmed it. She probably didn't even realize they filmed it, as she would have known they could prove her to be lying..

So they filmed her without her permission, having sex. Is that a crime?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/26/ny...26hofstra.html

Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
That reminds me, the only reason the hofstra lacrosse hoax guys got off criminal charges and got the woman to confness she made it up, was because they had filmed it. She probably didn't even realize they filmed it, as she would have known they could prove her to be lying..

I suppose it is a crime in certain cities to film people without their permission. It's just odd to me how this is getting so much airplay simply because the guy was gay. If I had been him, I'd have said so what- I'm GAY...show the damn thing, who cares? Why is he so ashamed? Be gay already.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
That reminds me, the only reason the hofstra hoax guys got off criminal charges and got the woman to confness she made it up, was because they had filmed it. She probably didn't even realize they filmed it, as she would have known they could prove her to be lying..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/26/ny...26hofstra.html
Your story doesn't say that the men recorded her having sex, only that someone using a cell phone recorded parts of the encounter which indicated that the sex was consensual. Her version of what transpired did not match the men's account, and was contradicted by the cell phone recording one of the guys made, as well as by security footage by cameras on the Hofstra campus.

Since you claim to be an attorney, you should research things more carefully before asserting something like, "they filmed her having sex without her permission." That statement is not supported by the facts.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I suppose it is a crime in certain cities to film people without their permission. It's just odd to me how this is getting so much airplay simply because the guy was gay. If I had been him, I'd have said so what- I'm GAY...show the damn thing, who cares? Why is he so ashamed? Be gay already.
I don't think he was totally out yet. You have to feel comfortable to come out otherwise it leads to problems. He probably wasn't ready for his parents and family to find out yet. I heard that his roommate was bullying and harrasing him for a few weeks after he found out he was gay. It also seems like he was trapped and had no one to talk to. Its a sad story and thats why its getting so much attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies