Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,502,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
This is awful and tragic, but I am not sure they necessarily "broke any laws". Just my thoughts...
Yes they did. From the link:

Quote:
Under New Jersey's invasion-of-privacy statutes, it is a fourth degree crime to collect or view images depicting nudity or sexual contact involving another individual without that person's consent, and it is a third degree crime to transmit or distribute such images. The penalty for conviction of a third degree offense can include a prison term of up to five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Get over it. He chose to kill himself not the boys who did the prank. The prank was rude but get over it. It was their room, too.
Wow...how very callous IF I say what I really think of your post I'll get banned!.

The attitudes towards gays in this country has got to stop. Maybe he would have commited suicide if he were straight too...who knows, but I bet the being outed factor was a prominent part of his suicide.

PLEASE people STOP the HATE...thousands of gay youth commit suicide yearly; I nearly did in the 1970's when I came out as a gay male; this young man's family has now got to deal with never seeing their child reach his full potential in life or seeing him period.

May his family find solace and this young gentlemen rest in peace. .

Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,786,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I think five years in jail will pretty much make sure they are dismissed from the university.
They not only caused another's death, but they destroyed their own lives. Hard to get a job with no college degree and a felony on your resume...! Not to mention they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives.. I bet their parents are proud...!
Problem is, they probably are. They did bail him out. Even if I'd had the money for bail, lessons are best learned the hard way. When I was eighteen (almost 23 years ago) I had a stupid moment and was in jail for attempted theft (of a car stereo). I couldn't get released on my own recognizance and no bail. I didn't invade privacy or even drive someone to suicide. My Mother came to see me, after I waited two weeks to let her know, and the first thing she said upon the 'through the glass talk' was "I'll send money for your commissary, but next time, you're on your own". Best thing she could have done. I spent three months in jail that summer. Even the rich need these types of lessons. The lesson these parents are teaching (along with too many others) is, if you have enough money anything is excusable. Money over morals. Wrong.

Last edited by shroombeanie; 09-29-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,906,452 times
I googled the story and watched a news report on it. Made me cry.....I'm tired of seeing good people being driven to horrible things. It's not easy being young and gay. There was also some other stories of kids as young as 11 committing suicide because of the ruthless tactics of hateful people. I pray things will continue to get better for gay youth. Here's a great story on a Youtube channel created to help youth having trouble dealing with the bad feelings caused by hate:

Dan Savage Creates YouTube Channel to Help Gay Teens

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM

Gay student secretly taped having sex kills himself | News Blog from 365gay.com

Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,435,634 times
shroombeanie, you have a great mother who obviously loves you very much. And you are very lucky you do.

Such a sad, completely pointless happening.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,514,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Would be a good time for schools to get back to teaching personal responsibility and respect for others. Respect he'll probably see little of for the rest of his life.

Mr. Ravi may get to experience the joys of sex of which Mr. Clementi became deprived. With cameras, but alas, without the kisses. Sweet dreams.
Oh yeah. He's gonna be having some fun up in Rahway.

I hate to say this, but these idiot kids came from my town and school district, the one I send my kids to. I hope everyone in our town learns from this. The schools try to teach respect - my kids are proof of that - but it seems that not everyone listens during class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think you mean good time for parents to get back to teaching personal responsibility and respect for others.
That too. Obviously in this case someone wasn't doing their job.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Gay teen dies after 10 days on life support, following suicide attempt over anti-gay bullying – LGBTQ Nation

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7220896.html

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/boy-che...1737544&page=1

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 09-29-2010 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,385,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm sorry? But, they lived in the same dorm room? I don't understand what they did wrong except for the live stream of the sexual act. Let the district attorney handle this. You are not an attorney so butt out now.
Instead of telling people to "butt out" of a public discussion forum... why don't YOU butt out? You have all the sensitivity of a rabid rottweiler.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,937,400 times
This is sad. You never know how fragile a person is. It doesn't take much for some people. I am sure that the person who recorded this didn't think it would go this far and I hope that he learned a very valuable lesson. I can't believe how insensitive some people are...SMH at some of the comments here. I have heard from several gay people that they contemplated suicide before coming out. I know some probably didn't live to share their story. We wonder why kids who seem to have perfect lives decide to kill themselves. Many of them probably had parents like some of the intolerant idiots posting insensitive comments in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies