Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,476,109 times

Advertisements

I just have to put this out there. I have noticed that not many people on the left, especially Liberals and Progressives actually know what the Separation of Church and State actually means. They, for some reason, think that you can't pray on public property. That is so false it is funny. Jefferson used to hold Church sermons in the Federal Buidlings in DC. All it means is that the Fed Govt. can't establish a state sponsored religion. That's ALL it means!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times
That doesn't make for any good talking points though... They need dirt and smut, even if they have to create it.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
It has been interpeted to mean that providing space in public buildings for religious icons or texts is in effect establishing a religion by providing public support. I object to any government support of a particular religion or any at all.

PS: I am not an atheist most of the time.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It has been interpeted to mean that providing space in public buildings for religious icons or texts is in effect establishing a religion by providing public support. I object to any government support of a particular religion or any at all.

PS: I am not an atheist most of the time.
What you described is not the original intent. How did Jefferson get away with having Church Sermons in Government buildings?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM

13,713 posts, read 9,039,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I just have to put this out there. I have noticed that not many people on the left, especially Liberals and Progressives actually know what the Separation of Church and State actually means. They, for some reason, think that you can't pray on public property. That is so false it is funny. Jefferson used to hold Church sermons in the Federal Buidlings in DC. All it means is that the Fed Govt. can't establish a state sponsored religion. That's ALL it means!

Strange, I have noticed just the opposite: that many Liberals and Progressives realize that the First Amendment states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now, you do have 'nuts', of all types, who misread that useful Amendment. However, knowledgeable people know that a public school teacher, for instance, may read from the Bible in a classroom, teach comparative religions, etc.

May also know that the Courts have always upheld the In God We Trust motto on coins. Each day a religious leader opens the House and Senate deliberations with a prayer, and so on.

However, it is fun to open a new thread accusing a group of some thought crime; then pronouncing said group guilty of said thought crime without any evidence whatsoever, and then chuckling over your perceived surperiority.

I may well start a thread thusly:

I have noticed that many people on the Right engage in sexual relations with underage boys and girls. They seem to think that the 'age of consent' mandated in all 50 states is a 'suggestion' but not a law. It is not. Conservatives are fools to think that they may rape children under the age of consent, regardless of how rich they are. Plying children with Whiskey also does not mitigate the crime, regardless of what Conservatives may think. The fact that a well-known conservative radio commentator believes in having multiple wives does not excuse statutory rape. Aren't Conservatives stupid, and have odd looking children?

But, that would be silly of me, so I won't do it.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Strange, I have noticed just the opposite: that many Liberals and Progressives realize that the First Amendment states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now, you do have 'nuts', of all types, who misread that useful Amendment. However, knowledgeable people know that a public school teacher, for instance, may read from the Bible in a classroom, teach comparative religions, etc.

May also know that the Courts have always upheld the In God We Trust motto on coins. Each day a religious leader opens the House and Senate deliberations with a prayer, and so on.

However, it is fun to open a new thread accusing a group of some thought crime; then pronouncing said group guilty of said thought crime without any evidence whatsoever, and then chuckling over your perceived surperiority.

I may well start a thread thusly:

I have noticed that many people on the Right engage in sexual relations with underage boys and girls. They seem to think that the 'age of consent' mandated in all 50 states is a 'suggestion' but not a law. It is not. Conservatives are fools to think that they may rape children under the age of consent, regardless of how rich they are. Plying children with Whiskey also does not mitigate the crime, regardless of what Conservatives may think. The fact that a well-known conservative radio commentator believes in having multiple wives does not excuse statutory rape. Aren't Conservatives stupid, and have odd looking children?

But, that would be silly of me, so I won't do it.
I guess you either can't read or are just not paying attention. Look at what the progressives here post. They actually think it is Freedom FROM Religion and you can't pray on public property. Read and learn...

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,664,232 times
I'm a liberal Atheist and I don't give a crap if you pray on public property. Pray up a storm! Pray all you want!

Just don't erect religion statuary or monuments and don't force others (i.e. lead prayer at a public event on public property) to pray with you and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,596,583 times
Lightbulb Seperation of Church and State

I just have to put this out there. I have noticed that not many people on the rightt, especially teabaggers and right-wing fundies actually know what the Separation of Church and State actually means. They, for some reason, think that America is some sort of Christian nation. That is so false it is funny. Jefferson himself coined the phrase, separation of church and state. All it means is that the Fed, State or Local Govt. can't support a particular religion. That's ALL it means! But that's a lot!

There are plenty of examples of countries where the church and government are the same thing. Countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. America, with its religious freedom, is MUCH better.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM

13,713 posts, read 9,039,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I guess you either can't read or are just not paying attention. Look at what the progressives here post. They actually think it is Freedom FROM Religion and you can't pray on public property. Read and learn...

I obviously can read and understand much better than you. By the way, simply yacking about "them" and "they" does not actually prove any argument you advance.

Hey, why not try Wikipedia as a source???

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I just have to put this out there. I have noticed that not many people on the rightt, especially teabaggers and right-wing fundies actually know what the Separation of Church and State actually means. They, for some reason, think that America is some sort of Christian nation. That is so false it is funny. Jefferson himself coined the phrase, separation of church and state. All it means is that the Fed, State or Local Govt. can't support a particular religion. That's ALL it means! But that's a lot!

There are plenty of examples of countries where the church and government are the same thing. Countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. America, with its religious freedom, is MUCH better.
I'm glad you know what it means, too bad others don't and like to argue their ill conceived facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies