Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The Tea Party wants people to take personal responsibility for themselves and stop waiting for the government to fix things. That means paying the $75 for a years worth of fire protection.
The Tea Party wants less government. This is perfect example of the Tea Party mentality. If you want governemnt services, pay for them. If you can't then you don't get them. The incident is a perfect example of extreme Conservatism in action.

This guy made a bad decision by not paying for fire protection. I don't feel sorry for him. He felt like he could afford "Less Government" and he paid the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Did you read the article? The person in question lived outside of the city limits where the taxpayers funded them. He had the choice to pay a $75 annual fee (probably less than what the taxpayers paid btw) and chose not to. Why should the taxpayer's have to pay for his coverage, if he didn't choose to himself?
We do this sort of thing all the time! Why do illegals get medical coverage and don't pay for it? Why do illegals get police and fire protection and pay no taxes? This is my only gripe about this story. Seems we send Americans packing but give illegals everything.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,446,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The Tea Party wants less government. This is perfect example of the Tea Party mentality. If you want governemnt services, pay for them. If you can't then you don't get them. The incident is a perfect example of extreme Conservatism in action.

This guy made a bad decision by not paying for fire protection. I don't feel sorry for him. He felt like he could afford "Less Government" and he paid the price.
Are you a government drone? Firemen are not the government!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
...I bet there are some of those firemen that live in the area that didn't pay the $75 either because they think they don't have to if they are the ones putting out the fire, but do you think they will let their own house burn down? Never in a million years...
Given the size of the town and the circumstances, I would suspect that many of the firefighters are volunteers, like our organization is. The firefighters put in their own time for training, respond to calls at all hours of the day or night, and put their lives on the line to fight fires. Their equipment is expensive, and is paid for by the taxpayers of this city, and by the fees paid by those that choose to have coverage that live outside of the city limits. Why should they put their lives on the line, and risk other people's equipment, for some cheapskate that can't be bothered to pay the $75 per year fee?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
We do this sort of thing all the time! Why do illegals get medical coverage and don't pay for it? Why do illegals get police and fire protection and pay no taxes? This is my only gripe about this story. Seems we send Americans packing but give illegals everything.
That's very true, but a different scenario.

The people that lived in the county, outside of the city limits, have a choice to start a fire department in that area. We don't know the circumstances in this case, but commonly it's cheaper to contract as individuals with another agency.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Given the size of the town and the circumstances, I would suspect that many of the firefighters are volunteers, like our organization is. The firefighters put in their own time for training, respond to calls at all hours of the day or night, and put their lives on the line to fight fires. Their equipment is expensive, and is paid for by the taxpayers of this city, and by the fees paid by those that choose to have coverage that live outside of the city limits. Why should they put their lives on the line, and risk other people's equipment, for some cheapskate that can't be bothered to pay the $75 per year fee?
If they accept taxpayers money they must serve everyone.
If they accept no taxpayer money they should not have an area
They owner should sue and own their trucks

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My property taxes help fund a volunteer county FD. Sounds like this was a city FD and not a county one. Maybe the OP, who is from Kentucky, will chime back in on how the FDs there are funded.
I believe our's is like your's. Property taxes. I know for sure it's not a subscription fee. Why and the hell can't the area in question just get a tax-funded volunteer FD like a normal area? That is the million $ question.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:

Nothing to do with government, i'ts about paying for services.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
Are you a government drone? Firemen are not the government!

Did you even go to the link and read the article or watch the clip? The fire sevice is provided by the City of South Fulton. When you call 9-1-1 in that area you are calling a government agency for the City of South Fulton.

This is an example of conservative government mentality in action. Less government and if you don't pay for services you don't get them. This is an extreme example of what lower taxes and lower services mean.

It would be intersting to know if this guy supports the Tea Party.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,170 times
Quote:
But these people live outside of the city. This is "Tea Party Government" in action. Less governemnt and lower taxes. You get what you pay for. If you pay for nothing you get nothing.
This isn't a political issue, people should take an active role in securing their own homes. This job belongs to nobody but the home owner, it's called taking responsibility for your self, your home and your family. This man didn't do that properly and was aware that he didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies