Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times

Advertisements

The thing I hate about this subject is you can argue in circles all day and no one is convinced either way. Bottom line. I enjoy weed, I work over 40 hours a week and don't expect anything in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
The thing I hate about this subject is you can argue in circles all day and no one is convinced either way. Bottom line. I enjoy weed, I work over 40 hours a week and don't expect anything in return.
I support that right. Honest. It's the rest of the drug culture that's a problem and it's all moshed together. I absolutely agree that this war on drugs is gross mismanagement & fuels drug dealers & gang violence. If the vote we make were line item issues you'd see a different picture. There is no way I want to be the juror convicting you of possession of a joint. I want out of that juror box permanently.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Fifteen states have already legalized pot for medicinal use. How has that made the cops job harder?

And when it comes to pot, we don't have a "drug problem"..that's nothing but government and DEA propaganda. Reefer Madness BS. What we really have is too many laws trying to dictate to people what they can put in their own bodies.
so mexican violent drug dealers don't deal pot? And, the legalization in those 15 states... I bet the cops don't like it. They have probably just given up trying to nab the criminals from the medical users.

So, yes, we do have a drug problem as long as violent drug dealers are dealing pot

Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I support that right. Honest. It's the rest of the drug culture that's a problem and it's all moshed together. I absolutely agree that this war on drugs is gross mismanagement & fuels drug dealers & gang violence. If the vote we make were line item issues you'd see a different picture. There is no way I want to be the juror convicting you of possession of a joint. I want out of that juror box permanently.
So . . you couldn't bring yourself to acquit?

Especially after being a fully informed juror?

Fully Informed Jury Association

Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so mexican violent drug dealers don't deal pot? And, the legalization in those 15 states... I bet the cops don't like it. They have probably just given up trying to nab the criminals from the medical users.

So, yes, we do have a drug problem as long as violent drug dealers are dealing pot
Much if not most of the pot smoked in this country is grown within our own borders..

And frankly, other than to recite government drug war gravy train BS, you appear to have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Much if not most of the pot smoked in this country is grown within our own borders..

And frankly, other than to recite government drug war gravy train BS, you appear to have no idea what you're talking about.
so the drug dealers don't deal pot, just the other drugs? hey, I'm just showing that there are consequences to legalizing marijuana. Maybe you like to smoke pot, and would rather it be legal? Thats cool
But, there are many others who will jump to other harder drugs.
So, until we eliminate or minimize those consequences then pot will remain illegal.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm centrist so I can't speak for conservatives but I can say that I tend to support their position against legalization for this reason: I do not see that people who use any substance (alcohol, pot, heroine, meth, whatnot) are responsible for themselves. I see addiction costing america big time and our sloppy policies managing vampires isn't working. There is evidence to support for instance that genetic material from alcoholic fathers are the common thread in children born with ADD/ADHD. There are other phenomena going on surrounding the issue here... Gender of Alcoholic Parents Affects Child’s Risk for Psychiatric Illness Yes, this is talking about alcohol but when the other substances people have been abusing are illegal gathering scientific evidence is hampered. I suspect we will find similar results of other chemicals. Bottom line is the rights you think you have shouldn't be the burden of children. If you want legalized drugs the terms and conditions are-- give up reproductive rights, give up x #'s of potential professions, and don't be a burden to your community. Off to your commune elsewhere because letting yourself off the hook for abiding standard business contracts or common decency in open society really doesn't work for the rest of us.

On the one hand they claim to want their rights, but out of the other side of their mouths when they conduct themselves inappropriately or make a mess of their lives they negate all responsibility claiming themselves victims, disabled, and wanting sympathy as if this were a bolt of lightning from the sky illness they had no active hand in designing. They've done it to themselves and ought to pay for it themselves. It's really that simple. You'll say it's comparing apples to oranges because pot isn't physically addictive as alcohol is. You're right. It's psychologically addictive and impairs judgment not just in the moment it's used. People use it as a crutch and build a philosophy around it that negates personal responsibility and hobbles the will. They're happy as rusted transmission couch potatoes going nowhere and doing nothing for decades. I've seen heavy pot smokers over long periods of time begin to resemble the wet brain symptoms of chronic alcoholics. These are extreme examples but we can't ignore that they exist at all. By and large and most infrequent users of pot are as responsible as someone who has an occasional beer. No one complains about either because there's nothing to complain about. They aren't making a nuisance of themselves disrupting civilization or petitioning the community for sympathy. Clean up the sloppy policies surrounding addicts then we can have a meaningful vote. As it is it's loaded dice with too many unanswered ancillary issues surrounding it.

Birdseye view seeing this issue in terms of impact assessments the only way I'm willing to say yes to any mind altering substance is when policies are put in place forcing people to pay for their own choices (self destructive especially) directly. If you're willing to sacrifice your responsibilities (rights) as citizens in exchange for drugs, you'll have my vote. That's what it takes to get along. This isn't about me trying to control others so much as it's a demand they control themselves.
Very well said. I agree 100%. It seems to me that the Dems want all these very liberal agendas passed but when they become “victims” (by their own hands) they want free medical care, time off work with pay, and the taxpayers to foot the bill. Can’t have it both way folks.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Drugs and Conservatives Should Go Together | Jeffrey A. Miron | Cato Institute: Commentary

Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have wroked with some and say no thanks just like drunks.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Come again?

The Libertarian stance on weed is legalization. The Republican stance on weed is 'Oh my, I'll loose the church vote if I support it.' The Democratic stance on weed is 'It's okay to do it, just don't get caught.'

The Libertarians are th only ones who want to legalize it. The two establishment parties just want to control the population with it. Make sure it is available to the public, because that's how we get it, but keep it illegal so I can pander to the statist 'conservative family values' types by making felons out of people who commited no act of violence against another human being. This keeps the prison population up and makes for great tactical training for drug enforcement types so that when the mundane citizens of this country are finally fed up and decide to take their country back by force, we will A-have a sufficient number of them as federal employees who will not want to jeopardize their jobs, B-have the upper hand in weapons and tactics and be able to punish them accordingly.

Bottom line, the 'War on Drugs' is almost as effective as the war on poverty, the war on terror, and most recently the war on childhood obesity. Why you ask? Because it's good for the growth of government.
Wow, just wow. The libertarian view is leagalize it, The conservative view is varied some like Bill Buckley favor (favored in Bill's case) legalization. Some oppose due to gateway issues. But if you prefer to make it some infantile all or nothing deal have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies