Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times

Advertisements

I think that the question involves two different things: the country (geography) and the government.
Many Americans love their geographic country, but dislike the servants in government, and how they operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
As a child of immigrants and a well-traveled immigrant of sorts myself, I love this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchAmerica View Post
ah I love people who love their country!

home in paris, people are crazy about new york city! lol

Yeah but New York City is not representative of America.

Mr. Frenchie, why don't you spend time in typical parts of America and you'll see your tune change. Go to small town America where evolution and climate change are seen as hoaxes. They will wallow in their religion, backwardness and gun collection. They are fundamentally against change, but change is inevitable and necessary.

BTW, you lose most of your appeal because you are here. If I met you in Lyon, I'd be interested in you and your culture. If I met you in NYC, you are just another Euro-misfit tourist or whanabe.

So can I assume you don't love France cuz you are here?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

Mr. Frenchie, why don't you spend time in typical parts of America and you'll see your tune change. Go to small town America where evolution and climate change are seen as hoaxes. They will wallow in their religion, backwardness and gun collection. They are fundamentally against change, but change is inevitable and necessary.

BTW, you lose most of your appeal because you are here. If I met you in Lyon, I'd be interested in you and your culture. If I met you in NYC, you are just another Euro-misfit tourist or whanabe.

Before you bash small town U.S.A., I suggest you spend more time there. Some of our best people come from places like this. Some of the most love and acceptance come from there. Friends helping friends. Neighbors helping neighbors.

Or you can continue to live in Stereotypeville and wallow in D.C. corruption and pronounce everyone else provincial and stupid. Kinda shallow if you ask me.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Europe is a nice place to visit but I'd never want to live there. I enjoy my Constitutional freedoms too much to give them up voluntarily.

Paris and London were beautiful during my visits during the 80's & 90's. Too bad about the radical Islamic populations, doubtful I'd return because of them. Glad I had the opportunities to see the museum treasures, historical cities, and the landscapes.

Me, my home is the USA, always will be. I love the US Constitution and its recognition of my God given rights. This soil runs through my veins, none other.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Europe is a nice place to visit but I'd never want to live there. I enjoy my Constitutional freedoms too much to give them up voluntarily.

Paris and London were beautiful during my visits during the 80's & 90's. Too bad about the radical Islamic populations, doubtful I'd return because of them. Glad I had the opportunities to see the museum treasures, historical cities, and the landscapes.

Me, my home is the USA, always will be. I love the US Constitution and its recognition of my God given rights. This soil runs through my veins, none other.
Even today you won't have any problems when you go to London or Paris, you won't even meet any of those radicals. There are certain areas and suburbs you should avoid at night, but that was no different 20 years ago.

The only reason I would not want to go there again is because I never found those places interesting in the first place.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Yes...France, Austria, and Switzerland are/were gorgeous places. Really enjoyed my visits to those places. The rest...eh. But still wouldn't want to live there.

Really enjoyed Singapore and Japan, as well. Not so much Hong Kong, Thailand...though living in Indonesia had its perks.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

You should try swallowing some the pills you're prescribing

Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
"No matter where you to, there you are!"

Buckaroo Bonzi

Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You should try swallowing some the pills you're prescribing
Seriously. If you want to see backwards and provincial, you should try small villages in europe...holy crap!

And as one of the only people of color wandering the streets of Wurzberg (actually considered a big town in Germany), I got a few looks, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies