Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Okay, I'll put in in language that liberals can understand, using a group liberals dislike, Israelis.

If a liberal activist breaks into a Israeli's home, and films him doing whatever, for the purpose of getting something to make israel/jews look bad, would that be a hate crime?

Or does the victim need darling status for it to constitute a hate crime?
Liberals don't dislike Israelis.

And a liberal activist who breaks into someone's home, anyone's home, should be charged with that crime first and foremost. If his motivation to commit the crime was because of bias, and that bias can be demonstrated or proven in a court of law, then additional penalties could be imposed due to hate crime legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll put in in language that liberals can understand, using a group liberals dislike, Israelis.

If a liberal activist breaks into a Israeli's home, and films him doing whatever, for the purpose of getting something to make israel/jews look bad, would that be a hate crime?

Or does the victim need darling status for it to constitute a hate crime?
If you break into someone's home, it's burglary (unless you are a law enforcement officer with a warrant, or I guess if you suspect they're a terrorist--I don't know exactly how the patriot act changed that aspect of the law on warrants without checking). Burglary is a crime. If you break in for any of the reasons listed in the hate crimes definition I linked there (for instance, specifically because he is a Jew) then it would fall under the hate crimes definition. Read the definition. And now I'm off to work...

Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Liberals don't dislike Israelis.

And a liberal activist who breaks into someone's home, anyone's home, should be charged with that crime first and foremost. If his motivation to commit the crime was because of bias, and that bias can be demonstrated or proven in a court of law, then additional penalties could be imposed due to hate crime legislation.
Including if the hate was directed at a religion, like christianity?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If you look at my topic title, it's about whether this is/shouldbe considered a hate crime.

Can you imagine how much speech will be limited if this is determined to be a hate crime?

You could be charged with a hate crime for LOTS of things if this is allowed. Do you get it?
I think I've amply demonstrated that I do get it. Personally, I have some profound problems with hate crime legislation as a concept, because I am wary of policing people's thoughts. However, motivation has always been a part of how we determine the seriousness of a crime. The taking of a life is classified in our court systems, from manslaughter to murder in the first degree. Based on intent, based on motivation, based on whether it was planned or spontaneous or accidental. Hate crime legislation adds more detail to the classification system of crimes, and has to do more with the penalties involved than anything else.

I've already stated in the other thread about this, that based on what we know about what happened, I don't think this is a hate crime, nor do I think the prosecution could make that case. Bias is difficult to prove. These are two young people, they will not have a plethora of writings or statements to establish such bias, and they already have people coming forward disputing the accusation.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Including if the hate was directed at a religion, like christianity?
Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies