Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Ok but what does Obamacare do to fix it? Seems to me that it's adding more bureaucracy to a system that is bloated already. By adding more layers of the same BS we aren't going to make it cheaper.

Of course people are trying to make money on peoples health. We all try to make money to survive. People sell food too. Doesn't mean they are bad.

Yes, modern devices cost money as well as pharmaceuticals. But when you need that device or that pill you want it to be available. Probably true in most industrialized countries.

If the problem is that there are all these "groups" trying to make money on health care then how is Obamacare dealing with that specific problem? Why did this need to be shoved through at a rediculous price when it doesn't address the real problem, but makes it worse.

Businesses do studies to try to find ways to streamline operations and make them MORE effective at less cost. This does neither IMO.
It's OK for companies to try and make a living, but when I consider the fact that the five biggest US pharmaceutical companies alone made profits of more than $40b last year, it becomes quite clear to me that something is wrong there...
Regarding the system as a whole, as with all such systems they keep growing and being modified in a more or less chaotic way over the years and decades, but hardly ever are they really overhauled and streamlined because there is a lot of resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think it is a change that must be accommodated for. The answer to a physician shortage is not to let 30 million people go without insurance.

I think the best way to help our doctor shortage would be to make it take less time to become a doctor. I don't understand why doctors here in the US have to take years of business and liberal arts classes before they can apply to Med School.

I can't understand why it should cost trillions to insure 30 million more people. The numbers don't add up and the root problems aren't being addressed.

And it doesn't make sense to attack the problem this way. To me it's like saying none of us can go to the movie if we can't all go. So we decide we all get to go to the movie...we just have to leave at the intermission and never get to see the end. Nobody wins if everyone can't win.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
however it DOES NOT excuse a physician from liability, civil or criminal, for injuring or killing a patient.
Not correct.
As long as the physician complies with the established procedure, he is legally immune.
Even when that procedure should have been ignored, he is held blameless.

The only time you can criminally charge a licensed physician is when he acts outside the established guidelines.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
My GP works for a medium-sized practice owned by a small-partnership of older Md's with about 50-60 people on staff.

They are revving up to convert to a fee-only practice by accepting no insurance payments, and refuse additional Medicare patients due to fee reductions and extra paperwork (hello baby-boomers!).

My GP also explained the partnership has reached the point where they are considering dissolving the entire practice, which would break my heart as I've been seeing this guy for 15 years. I suspect, like a whole lot of other people whose live will be disrupted by this unnecessary bill, I will soon be in the market for another doctor.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I can't understand why it should cost trillions to insure 30 million more people. The numbers don't add up and the root problems aren't being addressed.

And it doesn't make sense to attack the problem this way. To me it's like saying none of us can go to the movie if we can't all go. So we decide we all get to go to the movie...we just have to leave at the intermission and never get to see the end. Nobody wins if everyone can't win.
You will not die if you can't go to a movie. 30 million people not having health insurance will result in countless of them dying. Totally not the same scenario at all.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
People will only go into medicine if it'll provide a good life. Yes, there's a humanitarian component in being a MD, but without the financial incentive, it would be like the failed Cuba health care system.

That doesn't mean a six figure salary. Cover student loans and implement tort reform. Make it so you don't leave med school with six figures of debt and at any time a greedy lawyer can drive you out of business. Then maybe docs will work for less.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
And now for something completely expected...

Health reform to worsen doctor shortage: group | Reuters

Critical shortages expected in cardiology, oncology, emergency medicine.
Surprise....surprise...find you tourist medical care now in Thailand India or perhaps the Czech Republic? I'm sure they will pass a law soon to make it illegal to go outside of the US for medical care(if it isn't already in the bill)...(or as Queen Nancy said "we have to pass this in order to find out what is in it")don't you just love 'em. That Congress... .. always looking out for you and me?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
That doesn't mean a six figure salary. Cover student loans and implement tort reform. Make it so you don't leave med school with six figures of debt and at any time a greedy lawyer can drive you out of business. Then maybe docs will work for less.
You really think a six figure salary is excessive? For 8+ years of schooling/internships/fellowships..basically kiss your 20's goodbye.

A typical workweek that is 50 hours plus. On call schedules that dictate 24 hour availability. Oh, and the little matter of making virtually life and death decisions on a routine basis.

Would you do that for $95,000/year? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

Why the heck should they work for less? You really want an unmotivated doctor who sees you as nothing more than an annoying slab of meat? This is America, not some backwater country. You people kill me.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Why the heck should they work for less? You really want an unmotivated doctor who sees you as nothing more than an annoying slab of meat? This is America, not some backwater country. You people kill me.
Six figure salaries for doctors are not the root cause of the astronomical health care prices. The main components are:
1) Huge malpractice insurance premiums: a MD once told me that in 1982 when he started his practice the insurance was <$2K annually. Today it is >100K. This component needs to be capped by law.
2) Administrative stuff - One doctor employs 4-5 administrators for basically BS related duties. That's a huge burden on the system.
3) Expenses of drugs and medical equipment: they are sold for a fraction in places like CA and Europe. US subsidizes the rest of the world.
4) Unreasonable profits expected from the drug companies.
5) Unreasonable salaries and bonuses paid to executives of drug companies, hospitals, clinics and medical insurance corporations. No, we aren't talking 6 figures here.

Other then that, the shortage of doctors is a myth. For example, most clinics in our area open at 9:00 and close their doors at 4:00 sharp including a 1:15 hour lunch brake. It is ridiculous. In other countries, you can see your doctor at 9:00 pm. Basically a double amount of patients. If you have a cold at 5:00 pm you are referred to the E.R. which puts a huge pressure and makes a mockery of the hospital. That is done primarily to cover some asses. Clinics that run all night and care for thousands of running noses, twisted ankles and bees stings can save millions in health care costs.

Last edited by oberon_1; 10-01-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies