Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM

624 posts, read 1,119,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
yes, why are they so poor? Why does someone who fills potholes all day with tar and tools in the hot sun, saving lives from major car accidents, be paid less than a pro football player?
because they make less money! that football player attracts millions of fans and viewers that buy advertised products/tickets/and other things. that worker that fills the potholes has no education, no talent, no nothing! why would he deserve a better wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,592,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
because they make less money! ....
ahh, that explains it

Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,750,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Every election Steve Forbes trots out his tired flat tax. It all sounds wonderful until people do the math.
28% Federal Tax
6.2% Oasdi
whatever your State and local taxes are:
Probaably wind up paying over 40%
that sounds like an overall tax reduction to me, since many pay over 50% of their income in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The point is they know how to hide their assets.....they are buying property in New Zealand, not Pocatello Idaho
whats your point? real estate means NOTHING.

Quote:
yes, why are they so poor? Why does someone who fills potholes all day with tar and tools in the hot sun, saving lives from major car accidents, be paid less than a pro football player?
perhaps because nearly everyone can fill potholes, but being a running back in the NFL is rather a lot tougher? when filling potholes you dont have to worry about a 350lbs lineman with blood in his eyes trying to tackle you.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A poor person pays payroll takes, excise taxes, gasoline taxes, state sales or income taxes, telephone/cable/power/utility/fishing/hunting/ etc. fees or other add ons and ends up, if he/she's lucky being out about half of what they earn on the front end.

A rich person sloughs off a sales tax, an income tax, a gasoline tax, various fees and hires an accountant to be sure he doesn't pay more than 20% total.

The screwing continues...the screwing goes on.
What are you babbling about? I pay all those taxes AND send a whopping 38% of my salary to the feds.
At least know what you are saying before you start mouthing off.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,798,703 times
Quote:

That's the worst analogy I've ever seen but OK,I'll play along...

Actually Pavers make some pretty decent money,not not millions per year like an athlete but far more than minimum wage and should be able to provide a good living for a family. An athlete has a talent which yes,some are lucky enough to be born with but they still have to train and work extremely hard to maintain their skills. Again,you sound JEALOUS for those who were fortunate to be born with a talent or those who actually went out and bettered themselves and made something of themselves and are now reaping the benefits....MORE MONEY!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,650,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A poor person pays payroll takes, excise taxes, gasoline taxes, state sales or income taxes, telephone/cable/power/utility/fishing/hunting/ etc. fees or other add ons and ends up, if he/she's lucky being out about half of what they earn on the front end.

A rich person sloughs off a sales tax, an income tax, a gasoline tax, various fees and hires an accountant to be sure he doesn't pay more than 20% total.

The screwing continues...the screwing goes on.
The rich have stolen over 40% of the value of our dollars and are now investing their stolen wealth in China. Foreign firms have been paying off politicians to lower wages of American workers to make America a third world country, but as long as Americans keep electing them why would they stop

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,468,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
'no exceptions'

A flat tax is only flat for wage-slaves.

Every businessman decides each month how much his take-home will be, and then your back with accountants once again.
Hence the "no exceptions". Your taxes at a rate and that rate period. No deductions, no earned income credit, no children deductions.

Quote:
Every election Steve Forbes trots out his tired flat tax. It all sounds wonderful until people do the math.
28% Federal Tax
6.2% Oasdi
whatever your State and local taxes are:
Probaably wind up paying over 40%
It was either with 2008 or 2009 numbers, but according to the numbers, being budget neutral, and paying 1% towards the debt would bring the tax rate to 26%.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Most of my cousins moved in US just with a bag a T-Shirt and 0$(ZERO). Today after 10-14 years they are all in the middle/upper middle/class. One has his own business, other is the main designer for a luxury company that creates furniture for the "evil" rich and other is a M.D. They dropped out of college when they left Europe. If they made it I really don't understand why a person that is born there, has good English skills and family there can't make it! I really don't understand!

First off Congrats. to your cousin for knowing that they had every opportunity to come here and better themselves.

There's to many people now a days who are just plain lazy and don;t want to work hard anymore to better themselves. I've been in business for 24 years now ( construction) and chose not to go to college and worked my a$$ off,70-80 hrs a week for years. I've seen what's out there as far as trying to hire employees and most do not want to work hard, get dirty, work long hours and start at the bottom and work their way up. They want it all now and sit back and complain that "poor me " I have nothing while the big bad rich person is getting everything! Like you I don't understand it because like I said before everyone has the same opportunity to better themselves just most don't go for it!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The POLITICIANS have stolen over 40% of the value of our dollars and are now investing their stolen wealth in China. Foreign firms have been paying off politicians to lower wages of American workers to make America a third world country, but as long as Americans keep electing them why would they stop

I fixed it for you!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 AM

624 posts, read 1,119,434 times
Quote:
The rich have stolen over 40% of the value of our dollars and are now investing their stolen wealth in China. Foreign firms have been paying off politicians to lower wages of American workers to make America a third world country, but as long as Americans keep electing them why would they stop
Since China offers better opportunities and better profits why not? What are you doing to make the US attractive for the investors? Crying for a better wage? Oh... well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies