Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 PM

467 posts, read 777,689 times

Advertisements

RJ - I can certainly agree with you about the safety of marijuana, but it's more of a symbolic issue now. Do you honestly think the majority of supporters decide marijuana should be legal due to their educated research? Nope, it's more like 'hells yes we wants our weeds!!!'. Consider the audience, who are you catering to? You're catering to the stoner majority and the minority legitimate users will benefit, so there's a bit of a silver lining.

How are officers going to enforce it? There must be something other than a field sobriety check, otherwise people are going to keep ankle braces in their care and say they twisted it...and half the people out there can't say the alphabet backwards even when they're sober. So what's the 'breath test' equivalent? If this means additional equipment for every police car, who's going to pay for that?

Have you ever taken a hit of green after abstaining for a while? Some of it is called one-hitter-quitter for a reason, you are super fkt up after one hit, the equivalent of a half dozen beers in 5 seconds. Have fun with all those guys hanging out in front of your local quickie mart.

I'll give you this, if marijuana were truly used for people who needed it (Cancer, MS, ect.) I would be 100% for legalizing it. Do you have your card? Do you know easy it is to get? It's a joke. The vast majority are going to be using it for recreation regardless of what anyone thinks or hopes for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:42 PM

You guys are so annoying and wrong with your assumptions of my 'fear', and try to tell me that weed has never been a 'gateway drug'.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
I'm always dismayed when I hear or read of those who do not have an educational level, allowing them to see and understand...
Jeez, me to. Hey by the way, that sentence reads a little funny...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:46 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
The bottom line, cedew, is that it doesn't take intensive research and it's not just people who smoke it who want it legal. If you just pay attention it's easy to see that it's just not worth the trouble to keep it illegal and that not much will change if it isn't. There are plenty of legal things that could be MADE illegal for the same reasons as pot, but we don't do that. WHY?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Dollars and cents, I get it, doesn't mean I have to agree with it. If people could be responsible and considerate with it, that would be great, but my experience is that people are neither of those things.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
If legalized, I believe it will have devastating impacts on our economy, and negatively impact student performance.
Worse than alcohol already does?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
Dollars and cents, I get it, doesn't mean I have to agree with it. If people could be responsible and considerate with it, that would be great, but my experience is that people are neither of those things.
I agree people aren't and that bothers me to no end. But illogical and damaging laws bother me too. I don't think legalizing pot will make the world a better place, I just don't think it will make it worse either.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM

And I can respect that as well. Yayyyy, common ground! Cheers.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
You guys are so annoying and wrong with your assumptions of my 'fear', and try to tell me that weed has never been a 'gateway drug'.
The gateway theory is being proven highly false:

Risk of marijuana’s ‘gateway effect’ overblown, new UNH research shows | Science Blog

New study debunks marijuana 'gateway theory' - CNN has yet to hear // Current (http://current.com/news/91902926_new-study-debunks-marijuana-gateway-theory-cnn-has-yet-to-hear.htm - broken link)

RAND | News Release | RAND Study Casts Doubt on Claims That Marijuana Acts as "Gateway" to the Use of Cocaine and Heroin (http://www.rand.org/news/press.02/gateway.html - broken link)

If you are going to state pot is a gateway drug then what about Caffeine, Nicotine, and Alcohol? I'd say almost everybody uses those drugs first (which are addictive and can lead to death unlike marijuana which you can't overdose on and only 1% of users become physically addicted).

I'll debate your other post tomorrow as I have to get going to see a co worker in the hospital and then head into work.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Alright then, have a good one.

I don't care too much about the studies because that is not my experience. The difference between those two drugs has a lot more to do with how you do them. I can go to Starbucks and buy a cup of coffee with a smile, there's no seedy underlying process involved. When I went to smoke weed, we had to do it sneaky style, with homemade goods, in a hidden location, and of course I was doing it with other people who coincidentally...were dirtbags. Those same people helped get me started in other things, and it all stemmed from our weed relationship. From a purely scientific perspective, those studies may be correct, but from a real world perspective...unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies