Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
There is no way Democrats will avoid a "catastrophe".

2010 is a Republican year. Historically, Americans have prefered divided government. And I say this as a Democrat and Obama supporter.
Never count your political chickens before they are hatched. There are five weeks to go before election day. There are some closes races out there and the apparent Republican landslide of a month ago not is not so clear cut. I'm not saying they aren't going to pick up seats in the House but overall I'm withholding the opinion of doom and gloom for the Democratic Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Moore is not partisan and calls it as he sees it...
Ha ha ha ha. Moore is not partisan. That is the funniest statement I have heard today.

He is IMO vindictive, nasty, vulgar, and evil. Partisan is one of his more benign qualities.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:

Dems Feel Michael Moore's Wrath
Dems Feel Michael Moore's Wrath | 44 | washingtonpost.com
Dude, he's still being partisan in the article the in the OP:

Quote:
"People need to be reminded over and over that it was the REPUBLICANS who concocted and led the unnecessary invasion of two countries, putting us in our longest war ever, wars that will eventually cost us over $3 trillion. Bush and Co. also caused the biggest collapse of our economy since the Great Depression. "

"Dems: Do not pull a single punch on this. Quit being a bunch of wusses and let the bastards have it!"

"And as you're trying, announce that you will force the Republican senators (who until now simply have had to say they "intended" to filibuster in order to kill a bill) to have to actually filibuster! Make them stand on the floor of the Senate and read from the phone book 24/7. They won't last a day. And America will see them for who they really are."

"Declare That No Democrat Will Accept ANY Wall Street Money in the Next Election Cycle.
Pick a day in the coming week. Have all your fellow Democrats in Congress stand in front of the Capitol (with President Obama) and pledge that if America allows you to retain control of Congress, none of you will take a penny from Wall Street for the 2012 election."
That's not partisan to you?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Ha ha ha ha. Moore is not partisan. That is the funniest statement I have heard today.

He is IMO vindictive, nasty, vulgar, and evil. Partisan is one of his more benign qualities.
Exactly. Hes just a liberal version of Rush Limbaugh or any of the partisan hacks at Fox News.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself!
+1

Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
When consumer spending and business investment are down government has to step up and stimulate the economy or things get WORSE not better.

The average American has no historical perspective of how economic problems were dealt with in the past and little understand of finance or economics in general. What you have is lot of people running around ignorant and scared as hell and it makes them easy to manipulate.
The problem isn't Americans' short memory, the problem is that well-educated people STILL don't agree on the lessons from the past. There are those of us who have studied the New Deal quite a bit and have come away feeling that it extended and worsened the Depression instead of helping it.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
This multi-chinned bowel movement cheerleading for the democratic party is 'not partisan'?
Just when ya think paddy can't possibly get any more delusional

Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:

Dems Feel Michael Moore's Wrath
Dems Feel Michael Moore's Wrath | 44 | washingtonpost.com
Why, this flies in the face of popular "wisdom."

So does this: A Fine Whine | MichaelMoore.com

Gee, and so does this: Never Forget: Bad Wars Aren't Possible Unless Good People Back Them | MichaelMoore.com

Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM

513 posts, read 541,479 times
Hey Mr. Moore - all those huge profits from your movies sure could buy a lot of healthcare coverage for those little people that you claim to care about!

Luckily, I'm sure they keep those riff-raff away from your Penthouse so you wouldn't have to - you know - associate with them!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Hey Mr. Moore - all those huge profits from your movies sure could buy a lot of healthcare coverage for those little people that you claim to care about!

Luckily, I'm sure they keep those riff-raff away from your Penthouse so you wouldn't have to - you know - associate with them!
"

Hannity's question teed up the ball nicely for Moore to address what is the defining difference between a liberal point of view and a "compassionate conservative" point of view. And Moore hit it out of the park.

I won't transcript it, because it was rather long, but his point is essentially three-fold and it is a point that wins:

1. He does donate to the people in need in his films. (but he also mentions a time-table in one instance "for people to get on their feet." This isn't patronizing - Moore is helping people until they can help themselves. THat will play well with the folks I know that Moore is trying to speak to.)

2. The need is far greater than the ability of charities to provide for the need....

3. The real problem is a system that creates such need....

"

Daily Kos: Michael Moore gets it right on charity question from Hannity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies