Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Possession of small amounts of marijuana should be:
Completely legal 50 79.37%
An infraction (equivalent to a traffic ticket) 10 15.87%
A misdemeanor 2 3.17%
A felony 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not everyone who smokes is a 'hippie'. I actually know quite a few very successful people who smoke to wind down, especially if they're in high stress jobs.

Weed makes me sick, even the smell makes me nauseated....so I don't partake.
I could hardly be called a "hippie".

Most of the people I know that smoke are die hard conservative Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Too bad, the California public schools probably could have used that fine money. As always with marijuana it is the children who lose. Now it not only will detrimentally affect their families but also their education funding. Hopefully the taxes forcasted are enough to cover all the ill effects the state will have to address.
Finland
Possession, manufacture and use of cannabis products were prohibited by law in Finland in 1972. The parliamentary discussion and the following vote resulted in a stalemate, so the issue was resolved by drawing lots - which resulted in cannabinoid products becoming illegal. In practice, possession or manufacture of cannabis products is considered to be a minor misdemeanor punishable by a minor fine (normally in the range of 60-500 euros). A supreme court decision of 2004 set up a "half a dozen" precedent: Cultivation of up to 6 plants for personal use is subject to the same penalties as personal use. The same applies to distribution and use within a "closed circle of users". However, open distribution is generally punished very severely. Aside from criminal penalties, users are often persecuted by welfare authorities on the pretext of child welfare (if the user has offspring); withdrawal of driving license is also commonplace.
In 2010 police first time used the law passed in 2006, which makes selling equipment for creating or growing drugs illegal. This resulted in closing of a gardening store Viherpeukku and 200 home searches through the customer register. The owners of Viherpeukku were charged for selling gardening equipment with knowledge, that they could be used in home growing of Cannabis. Some controversy rose from the home searches due many of them being done into legal chili farmers houses.

If you didn't know, Finland is ranked as the worlds best education system.

So much for your argument about "the children".

Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I'm from the Netherlands and we have find out over there that making it legal doesn't work if all surrounding Countries/States aren't doing the same. It will cause drug trafficing and other crimes.

I think it is ridiculous to have someone sent to jail or prison for 1 joint.

Disclosure: I never ever smoked a joint and never had the feeling to do so! It actually smells bad when some one comes close to you and smokes whatever...I hate smoking and smelling sigarette smoke!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
I've always herb, that many people toke about how reasonable Gov. Arnold is?

Steve

Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
I couldn't vote, you left out my choice:

Mandatory

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,791 times
why is cigarette smoking so bad that is being ban every where,but pot smoking is suddenly not so bad.dont get it!!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
why is cigarette smoking so bad that is being ban every where,but pot smoking is suddenly not so bad.dont get it!!
No one is advocating smoking Marijuana out in public, or in public places. Just like drinking a beer at home though, there should be nothing illegal about that.

Also, you do know there are multiple ways to partake in Marijuana without smoking it or burning it? Personally my favorite is to make cannabutter, and cook some muffins.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
I think it should be legal all over. I think it is a little crazy that we put the pot heads in jail and let the hard core criminals out early because we have so many pot heads in there.

As for the person that talked about kids in school. I got news for you as it has been in school by back when I went to school and I graduated in the 70's.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Completely legal.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 PM

767 posts, read 489,082 times
Awwnold. A republican politician who is not a lunatic flat Earther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies