Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times

Advertisements

It's an ancient Buddhist and Hindu symbol that was adopted by the nazi party in the 20th century.

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
So every kid that wears a sheet over his head on Halloween is a Klan member??
No, because it's widely accepted that a sheet over a kid at Halloween represents a ghost. Other than Nazism can you tell me the other meanings of a swastika in modern western pop culture?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
It's an ancient Buddhist and Hindu symbol that was adopted by the nazi party in the 20th century.

Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup, we went over that on the first page.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
No, because it's widely accepted that a sheet over a kid at Halloween represents a ghost. Other than Nazism can you tell me the other meanings of a swastika in modern western pop culture?
Not yet because it's still taboo. You probably won't be around when it's in common use again.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not yet because it's still taboo. You probably won't be around when it's in common use again.
Thank you for being honest. You made my point

If you asked 100 people what a kid in a white sheet was supposed to be I bet 100 outta 100 would say a ghost. If you showed those same 100 people the tie that Byron Scott was wearing and asked them about the symbol on it, 100 would discuss it's association of Hitler, Nazism and the intended genocide of over 8 million people; zero would say that it's a Hindu symbol.

Another poster made a good point; do you think it would receive the same non reaction had a white coach wore it? Or what would the reaction have been had he wore a tie with the confederate flag on it, as another poster mentioned? I enjoy sociology and these are quite interesting questions.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
Try walking through a Jewish neighborhood wearing THAT tie?
You'd get the same "welcome", as a KKK march through Harlem.

Steve

Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:

If you asked 100 people what a kid in a white sheet was supposed to be I bet 100 outta 100 would say a ghost. If you showed those same 100 people the tie that Byron Scott was wearing and asked them about the symbol on it, 100 would discuss it's association of Hitler, Nazism and the intended genocide of over 8 million people; zero would say that it's a Hindu symbol.

Another poster made a good point; do you think it would receive the same non reaction had a white coach wore it? Or what would the reaction have been had he wore a tie with the confederate flag on it, as another poster mentioned? I enjoy sociology and these are quite interesting questions.
It will be tried and tested during our time though and knowing that means I'm not going to get upset. If people aren't saiyng "look at me I'm a Nazi" when using this shape I don't care if it's used. After awhile it will be OK for everyone. Time matters when it comes to stuff like this.

We place a lot of importance on symbolism, sometimes ridiculously so.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,047,317 times
In terms of historical context... it may only be a footnote as far as when it was used in the 20th century... If it's a silk tie, it was probably made in China...

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It will be tried and tested during our time though and knowing that means I'm not going to get upset. If people aren't saiyng "look at me I'm a Nazi" when using this shape I don't care if it's used. After awhile it will be OK for everyone. Time matters when it comes to stuff like this.

We place a lot of importance on symbolism, sometimes ridiculously so.
I agree, but I am also interested in the potential of a double standard that other posters mentioned in this thread. What say you about that?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:

I'm trying to remember who composed that political cartoon that had a couple of cops shooting a monkey with the caption Now they'll have to get someone else to right the Stimulus package. The outcry was that the cartoonist supposedly intended the monkey to be Obama. Of course in all likelihood that was not the case. And then there's the Hallmark card "Black Hos" fiasco. Every post I wrote concerning those events stated that basically people were seeing things that weren't there, and now and then we have to give each other the benefit of the doubt, especially here in a multi-ethnic society.

Personally I don't know what the reaction would be if a white head coach wore such a tie. I'm thinking it would get a couple of rolled eyes and a chuckle or two, which is pretty much what Byron Scott has received. But who knows. Maybe it would have snowballed into something silly. Obviously it's happened before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies