Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I work for Wal Mart and this is not true. I have worked for companies that DID hire part timers so they wouldn't have to pay benefits but Wal Mart is not one of them. Part timers have, very nearly, the exact same benefits as full timers. When you apply for a job there you can ask for part time or full time, it's your choice. Part time IS 32 hours a week, which is what makes it good for seniors, but if you want 40 hours, you can have it.

Right now their employee insurance is $39 a pay day for one person but you have to be there six months to get it. Many employees at my store have been there from five to twenty years and I doubt they'd stay that long if they felt mistreated. I, personally, like working for them.
Apparently, the Walmart you work for hires full time people. That is not the case where I presently live nor is it the case in the town where my mother lived.
It makes me wonder what department you work in, too.

It's good that they've overhauled their benefit plan. Good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My son works at Walmart, and he showed me his options for health insurance choices. He ended up picking one with a lower premium and a higher annual deductible. I'm betting that his low cost insurance plan will not be available once 0bamaCare kicks in and he must purchase the more expensive 0bama approved plan.
That's not true.

Rest assured. The first phase of "Obamacare" has just gone into effect and the world as we know it has not ended.

As I understand it, businesses that provide health insurance to their employees will be rewarded with additional tax credits.

I'm sure WalMart has considered these upcoming changes in relation to their benefits overhaul.

As mentioned in the article, WalMart's health insurance "overhaul" was a marketing decision. It seems that it would be a really bad marketing choice for WalMart to cancel these benefits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Walmart started the 4 dollar scripts. Other stores followed. Yea for Walmart. I hope they offer health insurance for the general public. WM can teach our big bloated government how to operate.
Wow. You must be kidding.

You want to live in a nation that is run like WalMart ?

One Nation Under SAM.....

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-04-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:01 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
We should just let real business folks find a way to bring down health care costs, and it won't cost us trillions of dollars and and put the feds in charge of our lives either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/bu...mart.html?_r=1

Many of its most ardent critics have put down their pitchforks. Andrew L. Stern, whose Service Employees International Union set up an advocacy group to attack Wal-Mart three years ago, now concedes that “there is clearly a focus on covering more people.”

This year, after store managers bombarded workers with information, Ms. Wagner chose a plan costing about $500 a year with a $350 deductible. “It’s very affordable for me,” she said.
Ultimately, Wal-Mart may have an even bigger effect as it brings its legendary cost-cutting skills to the broader health industry, selling anything from wheelchairs to health insurance for much lower prices
WALMART prefers single payer, they have said so before. If it's Medicare for all then all they have to do is take the money out of employees paychecks and everyone is covered, like in most of the civilized world. That is one of the major reasons American Companies have a problem competing

Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
My son works at Walmart, and he showed me his options for health insurance choices. He ended up picking one with a lower premium and a higher annual deductible. I'm betting that his low cost insurance plan will not be available once 0bamaCare kicks in and he must purchase the more expensive 0bama approved plan.
I don't need the Wal Mart insurance so I guess I'm lucky in that way but I still think it's a pretty good deal for the people who do. How do we know that Obama's plan will be more expensive? I've seen no numbers on that.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
We should just let real business folks find a way to bring down health care costs, and it won't cost us trillions of dollars and and put the feds in charge of our lives either.
Because that has worked so well until now.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Apparently, the Walmart you work for hires full time people. That is not the case where I presently live nor is it the case in the town where my mother lived.
It makes me wonder what department you work in, too.

It's good that they've overhauled their benefit plan. Good luck to you.

That's not true.

Rest assured. The first phase of "Obamacare" has just gone into effect and the world as we know it has not ended.

As I understand it, businesses that provide health insurance to their employees will be rewarded with additional tax credits.

I'm sure WalMart has considered these upcoming changes in relation to their benefits overhaul.

As mentioned in the article, WalMart's health insurance "overhaul" was a marketing decision. It seems that it would be a really bad marketing choice for WalMart to cancel these benefits...

Wow. You must be kidding.

You want to live in a nation that is run like WalMart ?

One Nation Under SAM.....
I do two jobs at Wal Mart. I am a door greeter and cashier. I'll soon be only a cashier but am willing to work the doors when needed. One of the things I like about Wal Mart is that they do let you change your job preferences anytime you like but you do have to wait for an opening for what you want. We have plenty of full timers, not counting management, but I've only ever wanted part time. The ONLY thing I can see that part timers don't get, as opposed to full timers, is paid personal days because if we only work part time we have plenty of "personal days" off. Did you know that you also get paid for serving on jury duty? That was a big surprise to me. Last pay period I got paid for mileage by the county AND my regularly scheduled day at work.

I really wish people would stop dissing Wal Mart so much. It's true that some of their reputation was earned but they've changed a lot over the years and the general public isn't even aware of some of the things they do behind the scenes. One of those things is working on solving the problems of the poor in their own communities. You'd be surprised at what they do but they don't go around tooting their own horn.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I do two jobs at Wal Mart. I am a door greeter and cashier. I'll soon be only a cashier but am willing to work the doors when needed. One of the things I like about Wal Mart is that they do let you change your job preferences anytime you like but you do have to wait for an opening for what you want. We have plenty of full timers, not counting management, but I've only ever wanted part time. The ONLY thing I can see that part timers don't get, as opposed to full timers, is paid personal days because if we only work part time we have plenty of "personal days" off. Did you know that you also get paid for serving on jury duty? That was a big surprise to me. Last pay period I got paid for mileage by the county AND my regularly scheduled day at work.

I really wish people would stop dissing Wal Mart so much. It's true that some of their reputation was earned but they've changed a lot over the years and the general public isn't even aware of some of the things they do behind the scenes. One of those things is working on solving the problems of the poor in their own communities. You'd be surprised at what they do but they don't go around tooting their own horn.
The bold is common among emloyers.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Walmart started the 4 dollar scripts. Other stores followed. Yea for Walmart. I hope they offer health insurance for the general public. WM can teach our big bloated government how to operate.
Good luck with that.

... most Americans have no idea that the drugs they are buying at Wal-Mart are produced in India, made by companies that are copying another company's products.

... although India has the highest the number of U.S. FDA-approved facilities
(84) outside the U.S., no one knows how reliable the quality of Indian drugs really are. The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the global counterfeit and substandard drug trade is a $35-billion business, with little risk of prosecution.
Al Norman: India: Wal-Mart's Drug Connection

Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I'm sure if Walmart had ANY problems with people getting sick on the drugs they would be pulled at once. I get my scripts there and have no problems.

We do ALL our shopping at Walmart since they usually have the best prices on everything.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

This should boggle your mind .

HOW BIG IS WALMART?

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St.Patrick's Day ( Marc h 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11 This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store.
(Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart

Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street. Better yet . .. . let them run the dang Government

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's pretty sad that the anti-health care reform folks are so desparate to find examples of companies that are stepping up to the plate to give their employees health care are holding Walmart up as an example. It just shows me that they've got no real understanding of Walmart and how it really treats their employees and who makes up most of their employees.

The article mentions that "most employees are covered somewhere else". I'd be willing to wager that most are covered under Medicaid due to having children and their low pay.

And, since most of their employees are only allowed to work 20 hours a week or less, this "affordable health insurance" is still unaffordable. Twenty hours at minimum wage isn't going to leave much left to live on (or to pay that hefty out of pocket deductible for doctors visits) after you deduct $50 a month for the premium.

This only proves again that Walmart is the master of smoke and mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's disingenuous of WalMart to call that a "benefit". It is available to the general public, and is similar to the programs that Walgreen's and the major grocery chains in our area have.
For years Walmart's health care "plan" was referring their workers to Medicaid.

I'm sure the OP didn't read the fine print...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies