Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, et al spreading propaganda and outright lies to get attention and make a buck are patriotic?
Michael Moore and Rosey are in a completely different class than Rush and Coulter.

Rush (whether people agree or not) wants the best for this country, while Moore wants to make a buck inspite of how his actions reflect on his country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,799,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Right. No one is saying that disagreeing with our leaders is unpatriotic. What is unpatriotic is people like Michael Moore spreading propaganda, and outright lies to get attention and make a buck!
Sorry, that is ridiculous. You can not approve freedom of speech only if it agrees with your viewpoint. We have discussed and proven ad nauseam that Moore's latest film is overall a pretty accurate depiction of healthcare issues in our country. That is a patriotic action. Our "leaders" if you are referring to Bush and Cheney spread more propaganda than that film on any given day on the 6:00 news.

If we happen to agree with the majority of Americans- that the Iraq war is a disaster that is causing more terrorism than it is preventing- and tearing apart our military infrastructure, that does not make us unpatriotic. On the contrary, it is those that follow our "leaders" guidance when they have proven themselves to be clueless time and again that are the real threat to our freedoms and way of life.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM

626 posts, read 993,665 times
Quote:
Michael Moore and Rosey are in a completely different class than Rush and Coulter.

Rush (whether people agree or not) wants the best for this country, while Moore wants to make a buck inspite of how his actions reflect on his country.
I don't like Michael Moore, but I think you're wrong, here. I think he and Rush Limbaugh are the same thing. They both use propaganda to make a buck, but they also care about the country. They're both misguided (extremists). They're not unpatriotic, at least not until they start calling people who disagree with them "traitors".

Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Michael Rush (whether people agree or not) wants the best for this country, while Moore wants to make a buck inspite of how his actions reflect on his country.
So................you can tell what people's motivations are merely by observation? Pretty neat talent.

Rush says drug users should be jailed, I guess you'd say he thinks that'd be good for the country yet he manages to buy his way out of his drug problems. I guess he's not ashamed to turn a buck so he can spend $30,000 to keep his butt out of jail.

Let's be honest, there's fast talking money grubbers on both sides of this fence and their combined hot air is probably the real cause of global warming

Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
No one is saying that disagreeing with our leaders is unpatriotic.
Yes, they most certainly are. Disagreeing with The Decider is tantamount to undermining the morale of our troops and abetting the enemy by making him think he can simply outlast us. You actually haven't heard any of this?

Quote:
What is unpatriotic is people like Michael Moore spreading propaganda, and outright lies to get attention and make a buck!
Do any of the right-wing disinformation media qualify as being 'like Michael Moore', or is that a For Liberal People Only category?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,606 times
Default America...Love It But Don't leave it !!!!!!

There is much work to be done here in America that is a fact. However, it is by far the greatest "Nation" on the planet. I guess that makes this "Baby Boomer' patriotic. I have and will continue to defend the principles by which this nation was born. ( I have fought and will fight again if need be).

We Americans are generous and kind hearted for the most part. More so than other nations IMO. It is this spirit that will sustain us. I feel we must continue to give because it is the right thing to do. We have the ability to contribute to the solutions that are available ie: Continue to fight "Terrorism" but let's plan on leaving Iraq in a reasonable amount of time. Is that unpatriotic? Let's make damn sure that our fighting Men and Women have everything they need both on and off of the battlefield. Let's listen to voices of dissent...Take what we need and leave the rest.......We are great because we can dissent,
checks and balances.....

We do need each other that I know . Don't leave America, love it by finding solutions that work best for us and that don't alienate the whole world. So many minds.... so much possibility. Come together !!!! That's patriotic.
Spiritwalker

Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 AM

451 posts, read 836,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, et al spreading propaganda and outright lies to get attention and make a buck are patriotic?
I have heard lots of negative things about Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter but I really don't think I've heard that they have spread lies. What did they lie about?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
We do need each other that I know . Don't leave America, love it by finding solutions that work best for us and that don't alienate the whole world. So many minds.... so much possibility. Come together !!!! That's patriotic.
Spiritwalker

Well Said!

I think people need a reminder every now and then that just because America may be the greatest doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. I don't think we got here by comparing ourselves with others, we got got here by doing what we thought was right. Let's hope it continues.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
So many minds.... so much possibility. Come together !!!! That's patriotic.
Yes, and it's more or less what we used to do until the likes of Rove and the neocons came along, and rather than having us agree to disagree on issues we could not immediately resolve between ourselves, they chose to use those as wedge issues to label and smear and to divide and dictate, rather than to unite and cooperate. Disastrous doings, those have turned out to be. Just as was predicted at the outset. And it's all a mess that will take rather a long time to clean up.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I have heard lots of negative things about Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter but I really don't think I've heard that they have spread lies. What did they lie about?

A little biased question isn't it? Why didn't you include Michael Moore in the group as he was the one originally accused of spreading lies with no supporting evidence.

I think Rush lies when he rants about druggies belonging in jail and then buys his way out of his own drug problems. If he believed what he sid he'd be locked up.

And little Annie with her rants about 9/11 widows enjoying their situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies