Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Texas
451 posts, read 836,051 times
Reputation: 134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A little biased question isn't it? Why didn't you include Michael Moore in the group as he was the one originally accused of spreading lies with no supporting evidence.

I think Rush lies when he rants about druggies belonging in jail and then buys his way out of his own drug problems. If he believed what he sid he'd be locked up.

And little Annie with her rants about 9/11 widows enjoying their situation?
Biased? I'm not sure what you mean but ok.

So when did Rush rant about "druggies belonging in jail" and how did he buy his way out of his own drug problems?

I listen to Rush from time to time and if he has a habit of spewing out lies I would like to know. A little hypocrisyor factual mistakes can be forgiven as human nature as long as they are rare.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
626 posts, read 993,587 times
Reputation: 141
Every time Rush rants about "libs", he's using a strawman argument, which is a lie. He says things like "Libs want to come into your home and take all your money". That's a lie. He does it in every show. I was raised to be a ditto head. Thankfully, I woke up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Biased? I'm not sure what you mean but ok.

I say biased because when I mentioned Rush and Ann spreading lies it was in response to someone saying Michael Moore was spreading lies with no examples being given, seemed a bit biased that you only questioned 2/3.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
So when did Rush rant about "druggies belonging in jail" and how did he buy his way out of his own drug problems?
I'm not a watcher/listener but snippets of his anti-drug stance were shown when he was having his own drug issues. He stayed out of jail with a $30,000 payment in FLA that no matter how you label it amounted to a "Stay Out of Jail" card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I listen to Rush from time to time and if he has a habit of spewing out lies I would like to know. A little hypocrisyor factual mistakes can be forgiven as human nature as long as they are rare.

Thanks.
Do a search for "Limbaugh lies". hardly seems a rare occurence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Texas
451 posts, read 836,051 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Every time Rush rants about "libs", he's using a strawman argument, which is a lie. He says things like "Libs want to come into your home and take all your money". That's a lie. He does it in every show. I was raised to be a ditto head. Thankfully, I woke up.
Thanks for your input but,

literally
literally - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education


figuratively
figurative - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
Reputation: 7373
That's true, Limbaugh has really become kind of a cartoon character of himself. The process of setting up the strawman argument and then beating it to death with his callers, plus his own multiple personal problems while lecturing others, really marginalizes him to just his own audience.

My view of Rush today is that he has about 15-20 million folks who are true believers, and that is his audience. His continuing value, though somewhat limited, is to get them fired up enough to ensure a large % vote on election day. Since his listeners are largely from the current Republican states (admittedly from stuff I had seen a few years ago), I don't know if this really has much value in the major elections, but perhaps can swing some local and congressional elections the Republican way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Texas
451 posts, read 836,051 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I say biased because when I mentioned Rush and Ann spreading lies it was in response to someone saying Michael Moore was spreading lies with no examples being given, seemed a bit biased that you only questioned 2/3.





I'm not a watcher/listener but snippets of his anti-drug stance were shown when he was having his own drug issues. He stayed out of jail with a $30,000 payment in FLA that no matter how you label it amounted to a "Stay Out of Jail" card.



Do a search for "Limbaugh lies". hardly seems a rare occurence.
I guess to each his own propaganda. I checked a few of the "Rush lies" sites and they make a pretty good case that Rush slants things to the right. I'm still looking for his indisputable record of lies.

Thanks though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Texas
451 posts, read 836,051 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
That's true, Limbaugh has really become kind of a cartoon character of himself.
I have had the same thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I guess to each his own propaganda. I checked a few of the "Rush lies" sites and they make a pretty good case that Rush slants things to the right. I'm still looking for his indisputable record of lies.

Thanks though.
When someone says they believe in something but shows by their actions they don't I think it makes them a liar as well as a hypocrite.

I'll stand by my original statement: "Let's be honest, there's fast talking money grubbers on both sides of this fence and their combined hot air is probably the real cause of global warming "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
 
2,970 posts, read 2,261,825 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Sorry, that is ridiculous. You can not approve freedom of speech only if it agrees with your viewpoint. We have discussed and proven ad nauseam that Moore's latest film is overall a pretty accurate depiction of healthcare issues in our country. That is a patriotic action. Our "leaders" if you are referring to Bush and Cheney spread more propaganda than that film on any given day on the 6:00 news.

If we happen to agree with the majority of Americans- that the Iraq war is a disaster that is causing more terrorism than it is preventing- and tearing apart our military infrastructure, that does not make us unpatriotic. On the contrary, it is those that follow our "leaders" guidance when they have proven themselves to be clueless time and again that are the real threat to our freedoms and way of life.
bily4 maybe you should reread my post. My stating someone is out for the money and to attract attention to your interpretation that I am trying to curb his speech is quite a leap. Be careful with words you try and put into other peoples statements.

Mike Moore is free to spout his propaganda but the sad thing is that people may actually believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
986 posts, read 2,809,518 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
There is much work to be done here in America that is a fact. However, it is by far the greatest "Nation" on the planet. I guess that makes this "Baby Boomer' patriotic. I have and will continue to defend the principles by which this nation was born. ( I have fought and will fight again if need be).

We Americans are generous and kind hearted for the most part. More so than other nations IMO. It is this spirit that will sustain us. I feel we must continue to give because it is the right thing to do. We have the ability to contribute to the solutions that are available ie: Continue to fight "Terrorism" but let's plan on leaving Iraq in a reasonable amount of time. Is that unpatriotic? Let's make damn sure that our fighting Men and Women have everything they need both on and off of the battlefield. Let's listen to voices of dissent...Take what we need and leave the rest.......We are great because we can dissent,
checks and balances.....

We do need each other that I know . Don't leave America, love it by finding solutions that work best for us and that don't alienate the whole world. So many minds.... so much possibility. Come together !!!! That's patriotic.
Spiritwalker
This is what I am talking about..are we willing to fight or sacrifice for our country, like the "greatest generation" did. We are not perfect, but we have a great country even with Rush, Ann and Michael Moore in it!! I do not get the feeling that my age group really loves this country like the way my father loved his country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top