Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 AM

986 posts, read 2,807,577 times

Advertisements

When I talk to my mom who is almost 80, she with out a doubt loves this country. I do not get that same feeling when I talk with people my own
age (53). We are about to celebrate July 4th, so my question... are the boomers patriotic? What does this mean for our next generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
America: Love It or Leave It patriotic? My Country, Right or Wrong patriotic? Dissent Equals Disservice patriotic? Get US Out Of The UN patriotic? In my view, patriotism is a somewhat more complicated and challenging thing than some would take it to be. We would need to know what it is we are searching for before deciding whether we can find it more over here than over there...

Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
heh
Yes, the vibes are much the same as they were during the Age of Aquarius.
Is love of country supposed to be blind? Personally, I think not.
Ours is not the greatest generation, nor is it the worst.
IMHO we got off to a good start (Freedom Riders, Woodstock) but then we got distracted.
For those who come after us, well, they might have a bit of cleaning up to do.
I only hope we are able to let go when our turn is over.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:14 AM

626 posts, read 992,691 times
Somewhere along the line, fighting for civil rights became unpatriotic and anti-American. The real unpatriotic people are the ones who tell people to "love it or leave it". There's nothing more anti-American than bowing down to tyranny, at home.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I have found it to be so with more conservative people and more religious people in general, no matter the "generation". For the rest, am sure they will want "patriotism" defined, so they will not feel excluded.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
heh
Yes, the vibes are much the same as they were during the Age of Aquarius.
Is love of country supposed to be blind? Personally, I think not.
Ours is not the greatest generation, nor is it the worst.
IMHO we got off to a good start (Freedom Riders, Woodstock) but then we got distracted.
For those who come after us, well, they might have a bit of cleaning up to do.
I only hope we are able to let go when our turn is over.
wood stock, patriotism? was a good start? where are they now? do you think jerry garcia is grateful now?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Somewhere along the line, fighting for civil rights became unpatriotic and anti-American. The real unpatriotic people are the ones who tell people to "love it or leave it". There's nothing more anti-American than bowing down to tyranny, at home.

Hear, Hear !

Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I have found it to be so with more conservative people and more religious people in general, no matter the "generation". For the rest, am sure they will want "patriotism" defined, so they will not feel excluded.
Right. No one is saying that disagreeing with our leaders is unpatriotic. What is unpatriotic is people like Michael Moore spreading propaganda, and outright lies to get attention and make a buck!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
wood stock, patriotism? was a good start? where are they now? do you think jerry garcia is grateful now?
Surely not as grateful as Scooter but Jerry was a much better guitar player

Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Right. No one is saying that disagreeing with our leaders is unpatriotic. What is unpatriotic is people like Michael Moore spreading propaganda, and outright lies to get attention and make a buck!

But Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, et al spreading propaganda and outright lies to get attention and make a buck are patriotic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies