Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/op...3friedman.html

Personally I disagree with this article. I don't think there ever will be a viable third party. But I wanted to post this anyway and see what others thought.
I think there will be one, but not in the next 20 years. Either the Tea Party will form it's own real party or the libartarians will come into their own, but first, they have to run local candidates.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't know why the Tea party doesn't just form an actual party.
Because they are smart ! they are doing exactly what they need to be doing , working within the republican party and changing it from within.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:

Personally I disagree with this article. I don't think there ever will be a viable third party. But I wanted to post this anyway and see what others thought.

Whigs and Tories FTW.

Buggy whip manufacturers are fewer than they used to be. Times change.
I see a new party somewhere around ~ 2023. What happens in 2023?

Population demographics shift. Someone will step in to replace the Republican party. The Dems will battle it out with whoever takes the lead from them. Tea party isn't valid for the same reason. Too white.

Poor Immigrants: Asset or Burden? | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/population-demographics/demographic-groups/15144223-1.html - broken link)

"By 2023, over 50 percent of children in America will be non- Anglo," former U.S. Census Bureau chief Steve Murdock also told the group. By 2050, over half of the labor force will be so-called minorities. ("Anglo" refers to most anyone who isn't Hispanic, black or Asian.)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Progressives have become a part of both parties.
The American people adapt rather well.
Given that the Media elects candidates, the people are changing and flushing the Republican part of Progressive thinking and going back to the original Constitution.
There will be a very big divide in Parties as there was long ago, before the Progressive Era.

It will no longer be Republican vs. Democrat. It will be Progressive vs. Conservative. The two parties will reflect those ideas without common ground, for sometime.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Here's where third parties get tricky. You have to have a majority of the electoral votes to win the presidency. If you have three parties with stronger candidates, there's a very real chance that no one will accomplish a majority win. In that case, either one candidate has to throw his votes to another, OR the whole thing is turned over to Congress, and they decide. Which ever party controls Congress will make the decision, meaning that party's candidate wins.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
For instance--the tea party creates it's own party vs. running as republicans. They each win a third of the electoral college. Unless the tea party is willing to give it's votes to the R's (or vice versa) it goes to Congress. If the House is controlled by the Dem's, that's what they'll pick. You can interchange any of the parties at will.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,090 times
Quote:

Obama was not my first choice, but I think it would be a huge mistake to not take his momentum and go with it in 2012. He accomplished amazing things in spite of the rut this country was in in 2008. I already have hope and change for my credit cards and insurance benefits! No, its not the Single Payer I wanted, but President Obama kicked in the door of corporatist health insurance and grabbed that bull by the horns, and I AM impressed that this much was done! The rest of the world seems pleased with his foreign policies as well (although I do not like the Afghanistan surge, not the peaceful route. I think he was ill-advised, but I think he is learning that the hard way.).

Domestically, we have to keep on track with President Obama. I agree with you, I do not see a viable Third Party in 2012, although I really hope for one some day. My true wish is that Republican Party (corporatist anti-American people) files bankruptcy, and Democrat Party split into Liberal and Progressive Parties. Hopefully Green Party will spring into action someday too

The rest of the world is ahead of us on this, the people are uprising!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,839 times
yes there's a third party rising it's called "tea vomit"

Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't know why the Tea party doesn't just form an actual party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Because while people of the Tea party agree at the core, That being Transparency, Accountability, Taxes, and lower spending we differ after that forming several branches. As you have seen some members of the Tea Party differ on the roll of that religion plays in politics, how to spend, how much tax is to much, abortion, environment ect ect.
The Tea party can only survive as a non party of individual thinkers. As a political party it would implode in on it's self.
My personal reasoning for joining the Tea Party is to gain a balance of power in the Legislative branches of Government. When I have reached that goal I will want to keep it that way. Hence I will differ some Tea Party members but not all.
while demwik is right about the tea party, it may spawn a viable third party, probably for 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Progressives have become a part of both parties.
The American people adapt rather well.
Given that the Media elects candidates, the people are changing and flushing the Republican part of Progressive thinking and going back to the original Constitution.
There will be a very big divide in Parties as there was long ago, before the Progressive Era.

It will no longer be Republican vs. Democrat. It will be Progressive vs. Conservative. The two parties will reflect those ideas without common ground, for sometime.
this could very well happen, but it will be because of the tea party if this divide happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's where third parties get tricky. You have to have a majority of the electoral votes to win the presidency. If you have three parties with stronger candidates, there's a very real chance that no one will accomplish a majority win. In that case, either one candidate has to throw his votes to another, OR the whole thing is turned over to Congress, and they decide. Which ever party controls Congress will make the decision, meaning that party's candidate wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
For instance--the tea party creates it's own party vs. running as republicans. They each win a third of the electoral college. Unless the tea party is willing to give it's votes to the R's (or vice versa) it goes to Congress. If the House is controlled by the Dem's, that's what they'll pick. You can interchange any of the parties at will.
actually if no one candidate gets the required 270 electoral votes, when the electoral college meets, after the first ballot is cast, and no one still have the required electoral votes, then we get a brokered convention, where all the electoral delegates are allowed to cast their ballot for which ever candidate they choose. this continues until one candidate garners enough electoral votes to win the election. the house of representatives merely certifies the vote, unless the electoral college cannot elect a president.

for a third party to become viable these days, the people are going to have to essentially destroy one of the current two parties, and the third party will be born from the remnants of the destroyed party.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,419 times
Quote:

I actually think now or soon would be a great time for a third party. THe far right loons can have their party, the far left loons from the One Nation Rally can have theirs, and the sane people can have the third party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies