Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you react to heterosexuals who are anti-homosexual?
I usually agree with them 25 19.08%
I usually disagree with them 88 67.18%
I'm neutral on the subject 18 13.74%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,918,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You and others here aren't willing to understand. If gay people want to have the SAME LAWS and SAME RIGHTS as everyone else, then nothing needs to be done.

Right now, there is absolutely nothing in the law that questions sexual preference when a person applies for a marriage certificate. If you want this to change, you are advocating a change to the system that is already blind to sexual preference.

Are you being intentionally oblivious here?
No, I think you are the one being oblivious here.
Until there are laws in ALL states allowing same-sex marriage, or better yet, a nationwide law (read; amendment) there is discrimination.
Here is a link for the rundown state-by-state, you will see that not every state allows it, many states have passed amendments banning same sex marriage.
You keep reiterating that the laws are already in place, that is simply NOT the case.
Same-Sex Marriage in United States Marriage License Laws -- Gay Marriage Laws in the US

Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,606,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No, I think you are the one being oblivious here.
Until there are laws in ALL states allowing same-sex marriage, or better yet, a nationwide law (read; amendment) there is discrimination.
Here is a link for the rundown state-by-state, you will see that not every state allows it, many states have passed amendments banning same sex marriage.
You keep reiterating that the laws are already in place, that is simply NOT the case.
Same-Sex Marriage in United States Marriage License Laws -- Gay Marriage Laws in the US
So you seem to think that a special law stating that gay people can get married is "MORE FAIR"? what about the polygamist? Is a law allowing that going to follow?

Bottom line is that we all have the right to marry--the question is whom and how. You want to be able to marry people of the same gender---something none of us have. That's not "equal" right---that's "special" rights--as they apply to only a very small fringe minority.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is the same type of "blame the victim" nonsense spewed by the Family Research Council which recently said that gay teens aren't killing themselves because of bullying, but because they've chosen "an unhealthy lifestyle".
I'm really not certain how you twist a suggestion a movement to take the high road into "blame the victim". I never suggested any such thing.

Any further attempts by you to completely twist my words and their meanings is not only unwelcome and inaccurate but will be viewed as an intentional personal attack and reported as TOS violations.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times
Quote:
You and others here aren't willing to understand. If gay people want to have the SAME LAWS and SAME RIGHTS as everyone else, then nothing needs to be done.

Right now, there is absolutely nothing in the law that questions sexual preference when a person applies for a marriage certificate. If you want this to change, you are advocating a change to the system that is already blind to sexual preference.

Are you being intentionally oblivious here?
It's not nice to play word games and intentionally mess with her--it's mean, and you don't help your case. You know better than that. If you have a point, then make it. You're right--gay people can get married, as long as they marry a person of the opposite sex. In that sense they do have the same rights as everyone. They don't have the same right to form a legally binding relationship (with all the benefits that go with those legal rights) with someone of their own sexual preference. That's the issue here at heart--is there a rational reason, outside of individual religious preferences, to deny someone that right. If there is, then great. I just haven't heard one yet.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,835,818 times
Quote:
Are you intentionally ignoring the point of the argument? .
No...YOU are intentionally ignoring the point. You cannot have a fair argument by making the comparison. Because gay people don't have urges against CHILDREN, ANIMALS or other adults who do not consent.

Your "argument" is invalid because you are attemepting to compare apples with oranges.

No one here is advocating that a criminal act should be legal. No one.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So you seem to think that a special law stating that gay people can get married is "MORE FAIR"? what about the polygamist? Is a law allowing that going to follow?

Bottom line is that we all have the right to marry--the question is whom and how. You want to be able to marry people of the same gender---something none of us have. That's not "equal" right---that's "special" rights--as they apply to only a very small fringe minority.
You are deliberately obfuscating this entire debate, bless your heart!
The same tired argument you are presenting could have been applied to the whole civil rights movement, which has been mentioned here......so according to your line of thought, African-Americans should have just sucked it up and dealt with the laws as they were, and gays should just suck it up, too.
Wow......... scary stuff there.
Just glad you werent around to debate women getting the vote.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,835,818 times
Quote:
Criminality is irrelevant to the argument here. The point is that you feel when it comes to sex that some people can't control themselves so they should be allowed special exceptions.

Using your "logic"....heterosexual men should not be allowed the same rights either because guess who commits the most acts of child sexual abuse? Yep that's right! Heterosexual adult men. So since it's proven that heterosexual men who are pedophiles can't control themselves, where exactly does that fit into your argument about gay?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,190,445 times
Quote:

So...by your logic...any time the minority of citizens disagrees with the majority, and expects their rights to be protected (as long as they're not hurting the community or others around them) they're asking for "special" rights?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's not nice to play word games and intentionally mess with her--it's mean, and you don't help your case. You know better than that. If you have a point, then make it. You're right--gay people can get married, as long as they marry a person of the opposite sex. In that sense they do have the same rights as everyone. They don't have the same right to form a legally binding relationship (with all the benefits that go with those legal rights) with someone of their own sexual preference. That's the issue here at heart--is there a rational reason, outside of individual religious preferences, to deny someone that right. If there is, then great. I just haven't heard one yet.
Thank you, thats very civil of you.........he sure is not the first person that I have dealt with that wont play nice in the sandbox......thats about the level of maturity that I sense at play here.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So...by your logic...any time the minority of citizens disagrees with the majority, and expects their rights to be protected (as long as they're not hurting the community or others around them) they're asking for "special" rights?
Thats what I am taking away from all of this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.