Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Celebrating another special holiday of our country the 4th of July and the people are given a special gift from the president George W. Bush in the news of yesterday. How sad that the world is troubled, and our country is in the worst condition it has ever been for what I’m seeing. The history of this great Nation has had leadership that provided guidance and direction that took this country and the world to a higher level. George seems to have forgotten both the history we’ve had and the problems of the Nation we are dealing with each day. He appears to be a leader that has failed at everything in the past 6 ½ years of office. The country and the world is NO better off today then it was before he took office, yet he brings to the public the news of allowing criminal actions of his administration be allowed to go unpunished. Failure to lead, failure to protect, failure to provide to the people of our great Nation are ongoing problems for him and his administration.

George Bush and his administration has made a mockery of our government and this Nation. This is not the country that I served for in the military. This is not the country that my family, friends, and loved ones have given their lives for. This is not the country that Americans want or should have. This Bush administration is criminal in action and should be held accountable. I want my country back.

"RECOVER AMERICA"

http://www.tvc.state.tx.us/images/REMEMBER2A.jpg (broken link)
"What Noble Cause?"
God bless those who have given so much for this Nation in so many ways!

"In the end, we will remember
not the words of our enemies,
but the silence of our friends."
--- Martin Luther King, Jr. ---
Hey if we can have a spanish version...........

First verse...

Ohhhhh say can you see, by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed, which has now left us screaming
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, which evil men hide behind
O'er the tv we watch, as our country is still bleeding.
..and the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night, that our kids are still there
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of Allah, and the home of OUR brave. (for now)

....maybe one day I'll finish the re-write

~T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Wow. Sounds like y'all are about ready for a return to Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out....

Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
The country has to be better then this? We're all missing too much that was given to us from our fathers and grandfathers.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
**** all you *******s who voted for him,,,, at least Corporate America has never had a more successful 7 years
Now that's a constructive point of view. The U.S. needs a lot more of that.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 AM

451 posts, read 835,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The country has to be better then this? We're all missing too much that was given to us from our fathers and grandfathers.
I know the country has problems but I guess it's hard for me get really mad since I and many others have it so good and I know that this country has never been and will never be perfect.

There is not another country on earth where would rather live if there was I would move there.

I really hope that you will someday feel as content as I do.

I love America.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
I know the country has problems but I guess it's hard for me get really mad since I and many others have it so good and I know that this country has never been and will never be perfect.

There is not another country on earth where would rather live if there was I would move there.

I love America.
Good post. I can't think of any other place on earth to search out and pursue opportunities and raise my family.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
This kind of post really makes me thankfull that my glass is more than half full.
I was just thinking the same thing, myself. If it's so bad here, why do people go to great lengths to get into this country? I don't see anyone swimming to Cuba, for example.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:07 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
... Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man,
the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time
handed out military command, high civil office, legions - everything, now
restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses -Satire X, Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal)
If history teaches us anything, it's that when the barbarians reach the gates it's always the middle classes who are surprised the most. To be content is to deny what we all know but readily dismiss: the United States is on the verge of bankruptcy and a declining middle class. If this is not rectified, we will have handed our children a tyranny by creating a government so fearful of popular uprising that our liberties will be trampled.

The United States is fading. We are no longer the world's richest country (per capita), we are not the most economically advantageous, we are not the best educated, we do not have the highest standard of living, we do not have the best health care, we receive proportionately less from our taxes than other industrialized nations, we have the largest prison population in the world, and we are no longer the land of opportunity. We have fallen behind Spain in terms of economic mobility. We're not even in the top 10.

It's wonderful to take pride in one's country and to want it to be the best but you do your country no favors by turning your back on the problems with are festering just below the surface. I know it's easy to worry about whether to get the Viking or the Miele, the Land Cruiser or the Escalade, or just to look out the window of your uber-mortgaged McMansion and think you're doing OK; that the sunny landscape and kids playing outside are all that matter in the world. Your job is good, your making money, your investments are doing well too. Voices of doom? There are always voices of doom but my neighbors and I don't talk about that. We talk about Paris Hilton, or the President, or where we're going on vacation. Reality is just too inconvenient and besides, what can I do? Somebody will fix it all eventually.

The numbers, the history, and, if you listen hard enough, the words are all out there. Either plan for the future or become a victim of it. Be part of the political process and act within it. An informed electorate is part of the price we pay for democracy. To change our course will require drastic changes to our lives and American society but we can overcome them while there is still time.

Sometimes I think we're a nation of rich kids. Our parents had the highest standard of living in the world and we believe, were even taught, that each generation will do better than the one before. If our parents lived in a 1500 square foot house, then we will live in a 3000 square foot house. If our parents drove Fords, we will drive BMWs. If our parents invested and made 3-5% return, we will trade and make 12-25% return. If we have to abuse every credit card in our purses and demand our government mortgage our Social Security trust and Medicare funds, and inflate the monetary supply to the point that the dollar is worth 1/10th of what it was less than a century ago, to keep the real cost of our massive government out of our tax bill, then let's do it.

We won't complain because we're content.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Truth is

the USA is so badly splintered on so many cultural and economic issues at this point we may have to look toward 'separate nations'- based on these differences.

We have not been 'United' for many years now. That is a truth- no matter how many 'purists' want to think of us as.

If we where smaller-like Japan, or England- it would be less of an issue. But the current USA reminds me of the sprawling Roman Empire- and their vaunted 'Pax Romana' that was split as well-

I frankly do not think any politician at this point can resolve the deep cultural chasms that exist in this nation- even Abe Lincoln would not be able to- the difference between slavery and abolition was simple- the problems today are far more varied and complex.
Trek -

I know we don't agree on much of anything, but this was a great post. Agreed 100%.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:

I love America.

And I agree with this one even more. We live in the BEST country in the world.

Happy 4th to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies