Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Your head is going to explode in November.
????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Bearing in mind that the bottom 50% pay no tax, it's hard to see how the rich are screwing the poor.

What is your justification for increasing taxes on the rich, other than "they have stuff, you want stuff, so you plan on taking their stuff."

How much of a rich persons money would they have to give you in order for you to consider it fair?
The vast majority of people who don't pay taxes are the elderly and the super rich.

This country is running in the red. We can't afford to keep giving reduced taxes rates to the top 2% who will never miss the few extra hundred they'll pay. And, yes, I blame the Bush administration for the trouble we're in, for not finding a better way to finance the wars other than to borrow from China. If they'd had a special war tax or sold war bonds or whatever, we wouldn't be in the terrible shape we're in. The interest alone is killing us.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The vast majority of people who don't pay taxes are the elderly and the super rich.

This country is running in the red. We can't afford to keep giving reduced taxes rates to the top 2% who will never miss the few extra hundred they'll pay. And, yes, I blame the Bush administration for the trouble we're in, for not finding a better way to finance the wars other than to borrow from China. If they'd had a special war tax or sold war bonds or whatever, we wouldn't be in the terrible shape we're in. The interest alone is killing us.
But the poorest 50% pay nothing.

I bet the top 2% will miss the few extra money they are being asked to pay.

So how much of their money do you want to take away from them to give to people who don't pay any taxes for the government services?

(By the way, I believe Obama's corporate bail out cost more than the Iraq war.)

Old 10-04-2010, 11:42 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
What is Republican hatred towards poor and middle class American workers?

There is no hatred, more common sesnse! they don't like the idea, of those who do absoutely nothing, who take take take, and bleed our system dry. So many of them out there.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
What is Republican hatred towards poor and middle class American workers?
We are middle class Amreica, always have been and certainly work for everything we have: we are also Republicans like most of our family and friends. Some have bucks, some do not. There is a difference between being poor or middle class and thinking the government owes you a living. Obviously you do not understand this.

As memtioned, check to see where much of Obamas money came from.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

No, my husband used to be a tax preparer, the majority are not in the catagories you memtion. Yes, many senior do not pay taxes, these a seniors that do not have money or investments, not seniors in general and rich do pay taxes.Where did you ever get the idea the rich do not pay taxes? Actually I don't think you really meant they don't pay, but you are thinking they don't pay their share...well, do you have any clue how much they pay or how, it is the rich that keep our charities going? Without them we wouldn't have as much cancer research, food banks, active help for the poor in other ways, etc. Oh, I know, you probably think the government should pay for that as well.

By the way, how would you have financed the wars? This is not a discussion on whether war was or is right or wrong, but how to finance them.

Nita

Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are middle class Amreica, always have been and certainly work for everything we have: we are also Republicans like most of our family and friends. Some have bucks, some do not. There is a difference between being poor or middle class and thinking the government owes you a living. Obviously you do not understand this.

I could not have said it better! I agree with you 100%.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
No, my husband used to be a tax preparer, the majority are not in the catagories you memtion. Yes, many senior do not pay taxes, these a seniors that do not have money or investments, not seniors in general and rich do pay taxes.Where did you ever get the idea the rich do not pay taxes? Actually I don't think you really meant they don't pay, but you are thinking they don't pay their share...well, do you have any clue how much they pay or how, it is the rich that keep our charities going? Without them we wouldn't have as much cancer research, food banks, active help for the poor in other ways, etc. Oh, I know, you probably think the government should pay for that as well.

By the way, how would you have financed the wars? This is not a discussion on whether war was or is right or wrong, but how to finance them.

Nita
They answered that question quite clearly. How did you miss it?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:

Bingo, thanks nmnita, could not have said it better myself, exactly what i was thinking, we are more a middle class America then anything else, we have always been. Your so right too, there is quite a difference in being truly poor, and believing in your heart, the the Government owes you a living. I don't think any babie's behind was slapped at birth, and promised, their life would be a bowl of cherries. There are some in life, who truly feel they can sit on their behinds, and just cash in, how incredibly lazy.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
This country is running in the red. We can't afford to keep giving reduced taxes rates to the top 2% alone is killing us.
Reduced tax rates to the top 2%? What the heck are you talking about?

Let's look at the total effective federal tax rates for the various income groups, shall we?

Top 1%: 31.2%
Top 5%: 29%
Top 10% 27.5%
Highest 20%: 25.8%
4th Highest 20%: 17.6%
3rd Highest 20%: 14.2%
2nd Highest 20%: 10.2%
Bottom 20%: 4.3%
http://www.cbo.gov/publications/collections/tax/2009/effective_rates.pdf (broken link)

Where are the reduced tax rates to the top 2% you're talking about? They're paying MORE THAN TWICE the tax rate of the middle class. You're being fed a line of manipulative BS, and you're falling for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies