Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What constitutes fair, who makes the determination of what a fair share is...
We could start by exploring equating tax liability with share of income. Currently, the taxes paid by various income groups are WAY out of proportion to their share of income.

Or we could eliminate any guesswork at all, and move to a flat tax - everyone pays the exact same percentage of their income. Earn less; pay less. Earm more; pay more. Everyone's income is treated equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Do yourself a favor and don't post political parody to prove a point.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
#10) In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one.

Also keep in mind that these executives continue to reap these outragious wages even when they run their companies into bankruptcy and then walk away with hefty pensions and bonuses while they leave the workers with absolutely nothing.
I don't know where exactly you got that quote (when I google it, it appears to be repeated on hundreds of sites & thousands of blogs) but I don't see how it can be true.
Consider;
According to the website Salary.com,
Quote:
the median expected salary for a typical Chief Executive Officer in the United States is $650,365.
If we divide that by 300, we get $2168. You can't possibly expect anyone to believe that the average worker in America is earning only $2,200 per year. If, instead, we divide it by 30, we get $21,679. Note, the numbers I gave are for CEOs only, not all executives, as your statement says. Clearly, the average executive is NOT earning 300 times the average workers salary.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 10-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: fixed html tags

Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I don't know where exactly you got that quote (when I google it, it appears to be repeated on hundreds of sites & thousands of blogs) but I don't see how it can be true.
Consider;
According to the website Salary.com, If we divide that by 300, we get $2168. You can't possibly expect anyone to believe that the average worker in America is earning only $2,200 per year. If, instead, we divide it by 30, we get $21,679. Note, the numbers I gave are for CEOs only, not all executives, as your statement says. Clearly, the average executive is NOT earning 300 times the average workers salary.
I've heard a variety of examples of percentages, size of gap between top and bottom and I couldn't find the specific detail either. I did however run across a piece ran in the San Fransisco Chronicle that used a variety of sources for its charts and graphs. I'll let financial gurus argue over the specifics but I can understand where the underlying sentiment of lower and middle class people is coming from. Which again is why I must chuckle as prospective party supporters come out to defend the most wealthy team boosters.

I guess take from this what you will.

15 Mind-Blowing Facts About Wealth And Inequality In America

Old 10-05-2010, 05:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Consider;
According to the website Salary.com, If we divide that by 300, we get $2168. You can't possibly expect anyone to believe that the average worker in America is earning only $2,200 per year. If, instead, we divide it by 30, we get $21,679. Note, the numbers I gave are for CEOs only, not all executives, as your statement says. Clearly, the average executive is NOT earning 300 times the average workers salary.

22 Statistics That Prove That The Middle Class Is Being Systematically Wiped Out Of Existence In America

Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Your primary motive for taking THEIR MONEY is theft.

You appear to believe that a good reason to take other people's money is just because they happen to have it.
Does Bernie Madoff, Enron and the Wall Street banksters ring a bell?

The Great Tax Con Job

When I was in Denmark last year doing my radio show from the Danish Radio offices for a week and interviewing many of that nation's leading politicians, economists, energy experts, and newspaper publishers, one of my guests made a comment that dropped the scales from my own eyes.

Off the air, he made the comment to me that was so enlightening. "You Americans are such suckers," he said, as I recall. "You think that the rules for taxes that apply to rich people also apply to working people. But they don't. When working peoples' taxes go up, their pay goes up. When their taxes go down, their pay goes down. It may take a year or two or three to all even out, but it always works this way - look at any country in Europe. And it's the opposite of how it works for rich people!"

t r u t h o u t | The Great Tax Con Job

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Does Bernie Madoff, Enron and the Wall Street banksters ring a bell?

The Great Tax Con Job

When I was in Denmark last year doing my radio show from the Danish Radio offices for a week and interviewing many of that nation's leading politicians, economists, energy experts, and newspaper publishers, one of my guests made a comment that dropped the scales from my own eyes.

Off the air, he made the comment to me that was so enlightening. "You Americans are such suckers," he said, as I recall. "You think that the rules for taxes that apply to rich people also apply to working people. But they don't. When working peoples' taxes go up, their pay goes up. When their taxes go down, their pay goes down. It may take a year or two or three to all even out, but it always works this way - look at any country in Europe. And it's the opposite of how it works for rich people!"

t r u t h o u t | The Great Tax Con Job
My Dad always said this while I was growing up, "the man" keeps the working man's nose just above water, when it gets below that due to taxes and insurance, then and only then is there a raise.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
My Dad always said this while I was growing up, "the man" keeps the working man's nose just above water, when it gets below that due to taxes and insurance, then and only then is there a raise.

And.....you bought into that and still obviously believe it to this day.
How sad for you. Fortunately there are people like me who understand that this is the USA. This is a land of opportunity where everyone has choices and your life is what you make of it. "The Man" only holds down those who let him. There are those who lead, those who follow, and those who get out of the way. Which one are you? That's rhetorical BTW.

Did dear old dad also tell you to believe everything anyone says as long as they have a (D) next to their name and that you should always vote for those people no matter what? That's also rhetorical BTW......

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
And.....you bought into that and still obviously believe it to this day.
How sad for you. Fortunately there are people like me who understand that this is the USA. This is a land of opportunity where everyone has choices and your life is what you make of it. "The Man" only holds down those who let him. There are those who lead, those who follow, and those who get out of the way. Which one are you? That's rhetorical BTW.

Did dear old dad also tell you to believe everything anyone says as long as they have a (D) next to their name and that you should always vote for those people no matter what? That's also rhetorical BTW......
Why don't you back up what you say with historical facts and links? You are the one towing the party line with partisan rhetoric and immature bravado rhetoric at that! Get out of the way while Wall Street, Big Oil and corporate crooks and cronies step on us on their way to the top of the heap? You take this lying down sand get stepped on if you choose, the rest of us will advocate for what is more fair and just as long as we still have a vote and are not living in a Fascist State and Oligarchy as people like you will support and enable. As I said in another post... Bernie Madoff, Enron, Wall Street banksters...these are the entities you admire and want to bow to? Go right ahead...there's a sucker born every minute.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
First the lowering and raising of taxes is all done by law so no theft is taking place. It's all legal. Second, as I mentioned I'm one of the people that PAYS taxes. I'm not sweating the tax increase.

Fair enough, you can pay twice - once for you and once for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies