Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you're exempt. You mentioned in another thread that you are in a union. So you aren't part of this forced obamacare.
The only one's "forced" into "Obamacare" are 10 Million Americans...3.3% of the population that could afford insurance but decided to free load off others by using the ER has their personal doctor's office. Passing the costs on to us when they skip out on their bills. I don't care about their plight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The only one's "forced" into "Obamacare" are 10 Million Americans...3.3% of the population that could afford insurance but decided to free load off others by using the ER has their personal doctor's office. Passing the costs on to us when they skip out on their bills. I don't care about their plight.
Child only policies are gone. Student policies are gone.
They are being "forced" into something else.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Child only policies are gone. Student policies are gone.
They are being "forced" into something else.
Less 1% of policies now being covered by other means. Via parents plans, via Medicare/Medicaed....so what?

30 Million more Americans, 10% of the country will now have insurance and it increased the size of the Federal budget by less than 2%.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Less 1% of policies now being covered by other means. Via parents plans, via Medicare/Medicaed....so what?

30 Million more Americans, 10% of the country will now have insurance and it increased the size of the Federal budget by less than 2%.
Right..so what ? Very flippant about issues that don't directly affect you.
Tell that to the college students who now have nothing.
That wasn't what Healthcare reform was all about.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:15 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
I wish that were true but everything I read just talks of subsidies.
I don't see any real reform..just more money changing hands while costs skyrocket.
The more profound reform will have to take place about the costs. Someone up yonder said "the worst of both worlds" and I tend to agree about the backward free market happening right now and so so agreement with the way medicade works. The elderly in my family thankfully have a pension that had supplemental insurance benefits that bridge the gap but she's still excluded from things like dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aid (she's legally deaf). This is the cadillac plan, mind you. I have no pension the way she has and pensions aren't available to most. Neither are insurance plans unless you work for fortune 500 sized companies. Defined benefits packages for employees have been dwindling to nothingness, COBRA is insanely priced, and catastrophic health conditions get dumped onto disability boards by default.

Everything that makes the statement 'the worst of both worlds' true needs to be addressed. Free market and govt oversight is not an anathema. People have had stable utility rates when monopoly like situations are managed via private industry having a gov't regulatory body capping profit margins. We are in many ways a captive audience for electricity, and in similar vein have been with health care.

As for what coalman said--- Doctors who are in it for the bling tend not to be good doctors. Nobody cares much for sadistic dentists either.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Right..so what ? Very flippant about issues that don't directly affect you.
Tell that to the college students who now have nothing.
That wasn't what Healthcare reform was all about.
No you don't seem to understand. The "children" ( that you couldn't care less about) are covered by other means.

So cry me a river.

Washington Post

Child-only plans represent only a small share of the non-group plans available on the individual market - with somewhere between 100,000 and 700,000 children currently receiving such coverage, according to administration officials.

In some states that have separate requirements concerning child-only plans, insurers will continue to offer new policies - New York, Maine, Ohio and Virginia, in the case of WellPoint's Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans, for instance.

Most poor children with preexisting conditions already qualify for insurance through programs such as Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program. And those who are not poor will be able to apply to new high-risk pools established by the law.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
The new minimums will. Already affecting student health plans at colleges because they offer less than the minimum mandated by Obamacare.
They are currently trying to get exemptions.
This part I'm thinking is a blessing in disguise. A false sense of security is far worse than knowing you have no security at all. If the coverage is that paltry is wasn't really insurance and those kids are better off staying on parents plan if their parents have one. Wasn't the age extended to 26 for that purpose?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yep. A corporation would be foolsih to continue to provide healthcare for thier employees and retirees.
They shouldn't have to provide health insurance...

Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
This part I'm thinking is a blessing in disguise. A false sense of security is far worse than knowing you have no security at all. If the coverage is that paltry is wasn't really insurance and those kids are better off staying on parents plan if their parents have one. Wasn't the age extended to 26 for that purpose?
Well I made use of that when I was in college as individual plans were too expensive. I did break my foot and the insurance covered me for the hospital trip. I don't understand why many think it's worthless.

For a few hundred dollars a year..I was covered. It was temporary while I was in school and provided what I needed at the time. At that age you really don't need much more than major medical to cover hospital costs for emergencies; most students are pretty healthy.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Here's a list of the companies that signed up for the governement subsidy for Early Retiree Reinsurance..reads like a "Who's Who" of corporate America and unions and local cities.
It's not just for business. Lots of local government/education/healthcare/unions are signing up for this.

A to Z List of Companies Participating in the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program - States | Early Retiree Coverage | Provisions | Understand the New Law | HealthCare.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies