Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times

Advertisements

why is anyone shocked at this?
Obama knows the dems are toast
I still want to know who gave millions on line to him in '08
lots of sleaze and slime from the ONE who was going to make change of Washington
he was going to bring us all together
he is the worst president yet and gets lower by the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 03:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
If all of this money is thrown into the general fund and if the question of the hour is how is this money separated? and the answer is, we have a system----then by god show the system so everyone can have a bowl of shut it stew and we can move on to other crap that is more important.
Wrong.. You clearly lack the ability to understand basic accounting...

If $200,000,000 comes in from the USA, and $1,000,000 comes in from out of the country. You can spend $199,000,000 before you start to spend money from out of the country. You dont need seperate systems nor do you need to show the world your books.

Care to post your bank, login name, and password here so I can log into YOUR bank accounts to make sure you arent funding terrorists? I doubt you will but if you dont show me, then I charge you are supporting terrorists! What do you have to hide?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong.. You clearly lack the ability to understand basic accounting...

If $200,000,000 comes in from the USA, and $1,000,000 comes in from out of the country. You can spend $199,000,000 before you start to spend money from out of the country. You dont need seperate systems nor do you need to show the world your books.
By law they aren't obligated. And again, the answer has been, we have a system in place and lawyers that ensure that laws where applicable are followed, and HOW DARE YOU ASK US?

Oh, I dare.

Even if you and I combine our finances, we don't make enough to pay for a half of a politician. It sounds like a real good plan to clearly watch who IS paying to have their interests bought and paid for.

The question is, and onemoretime, we have something on the table that is being blocked because it is election time, should there be more transparency?

Yes. And should people know who is sending a particular ad or lobbying for a certain cause? Yes. All cards on the table. Why?

Quote:
Care to post your bank, login name, and password here so I can log into YOUR bank accounts to make sure you arent funding terrorists? I doubt you will but if you dont show me, then I charge you are supporting terrorists! What do you have to hide?
Am I running for office? Am I a lobbyist? At some point this becomes as silly as posting naked pictures on line.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:43 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why? There is no law saying they must do that. Again, obama can lie through his pie hole, making baseless claims with not a shred of evidence, and the one he is attacking should just roll over?

When the Lefty organizations start doing what you want...maybe.

When obama can account for his undisclosed MILLIONS...maybe. (How come it didn't bother you when he was raking in the cash in 2008?)

The ONLY reason they want the list of donors is to intimidate, attack and put pressure on them....to silence their opposition.
Make the Lefty organizations do the same damn thing. Sanrene, we have reform on the table that is blocked due to election time. We will also have future elections. So, now is the time to start asking for transparency all over the table and push for that, even after this election cycle. Even if we take this bill a part line by line.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
If all of this money is thrown into the general fund and if the question of the hour is how is this money separated? and the answer is, we have a system----then by god show the system so everyone can have a bowl of shut it stew and we can move on to other crap that is more important.
Well...that's kind of the question. I just assumed that the "foreign" companies donating to the Chamber were multinational and had a US corporate entity they could donate through, but it looks like I was wrong (some of them do, some of them don't). I honestly thought they were going off on a tangent about the Chamber, but now I'm not so sure. I'm far from a CPA, but I'm not sure an auditor would be OK with co-mingling restricted funds with general revenue in a 501(c)6. I don't know though--they might just be happy with an accounting of the funds, as long as the Chamber can clearly show that at least 50% of their total organizational expenditures were composed of unrestricted funds, and used for non campaign activities.

This needs to be fixed quick--the whole structure for 501(c) nonprofits was never intended to work this way, because they were never allowed to take in such big donations before from single entities. Now there's no limit on the dollar amount, and it's all shielded from the public. Voters should have the right to know who's behind the campaign ads they're watching. They need to tighten up the rules for those nonprofits on just exactly what they have to do to prove their meeting the 50% rule as well--it sounds like a big chunk of organizations are bending the rules to the breaking point on what constitutes "lobbying." or "public education".

Old 10-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
By law they aren't obligated. And again, the answer has been, we have a system in place and lawyers that ensure that laws where applicable are followed, and HOW DARE YOU ASK US?

Oh, I dare.

Even if you and I combine our finances, we don't make enough to pay for a half of a politician. It sounds like a real good plan to clearly watch who IS paying to have their interests bought and paid for.

The question is, and onemoretime, we have something on the table that is being blocked because it is election time, should there be more transparency?

Yes. And should people know who is sending a particular ad or lobbying for a certain cause? Yes. All cards on the table. Why?

Am I running for office? Am I a lobbyist? At some point this becomes as silly as posting naked pictures on line.

If SCOTUS is going to allow such large chunks of corporate funding, the rules might say they don't have to open their books now, but the system is ripe for abuse if isn't changed. Like said, it was never the intention for nonprofits to operate like this, on this scale.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Make the Lefty organizations do the same damn thing. Sanrene, we have reform on the table that is blocked due to election time. We will also have future elections. So, now is the time to start asking for transparency all over the table and push for that, even after this election cycle. Even if we take this bill a part line by line.
The democrats EXEMPTED the unions from the law. Is that fair?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. The SCOTUS pretty much gutted the McCain/Fiengold campaign reform law--that was absolutely a joint effort between the dems and the r's. This isn't a dem or r issue, it's an American issue. The parties need to work together to fix this again, even if it takes a constitutional amendment,

Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
I'm far from a CPA, but I'm not sure an auditor would be OK with co-mingling restricted funds with general revenue in a 501(c)6.
Who says they are? Pandamonium?

Please, tell me why anyone should believe his speculation?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I am all for openess. ALL contributions should be posted immediately on the Internet.

Having said that, in this case why should the Chamber have to show anything?

Obama and his crew levied the accusation. Let them show some prove of their charges. Then the chamber can defend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies