Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,047,128 times

Advertisements

So before wasting tax payer money on unnecessary lawsuits, stop being a slacker, be more conservative and efficient, and do the work to read through the 2,000 pages 1st.

If you don't like RomneyCare 2.0 aka ObammieCare, if you're not the party of no, the party of no clue, if you're for states' rights, well then you're in luck.

"Why don't you use the waiver provision to let you go set up your own plan?" the senator asked those who threaten health-care-related lawsuits. "Why would you just say you are going to sue everybody, when this bill gives you the authority and the legal counsel is on record as saying you can do it without an individual mandate?"

Old 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
States may waive out of receiving services; however, they cannot waive out of the mandate to enroll, the fines, or the additional Medicare taxation on unearned income.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
States may waive out of receiving services; however, they cannot waive out of the mandate to enroll, the fines, or the additional Medicare taxation on unearned income.
According to the good senator, states can implement their own health plans, without the individual mandate.

We already pay when people use the emergency room as their personal doctor.

And as for Medi-Care, you should have supported this and then paying into Medi-Care would have been an individual choice.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
I was just reading about this. Imagine that - the bill actually encourages states to find their own solutions if they don't like what the feds have to offer.
I'm kind of surprised that there haven't been more comments in this thread.
Maybe it just took a lot of air out of a lot of sails

Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I was just reading about this. Imagine that - the bill actually encourages states to find their own solutions if they don't like what the feds have to offer.
I'm kind of surprised that there haven't been more comments in this thread.
Maybe it just took a lot of air out of a lot of sails
Why think when you can just say no?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Here's some of the text from the H.R. 3590:
SEC. 1332. WAIVER FOR STATE INNOVATION.
(a) Application-
(1) IN GENERAL- A State may apply to the Secretary for the waiver of all or any requirements described in paragraph (2) with respect to health insurance coverage within that State for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2017. Such application shall--
(A) be filed at such time and in such manner as the Secretary may require;

(B) contain such information as the Secretary may require, including--
(i) a comprehensive description of the State legislation and program to implement a plan meeting the requirements for a waiver under this section; and

(ii) a 10-year budget plan for such plan that is budget neutral for the Federal Government; and
(C) provide an assurance that the State has enacted the law described in subsection (b)(2).
(2) REQUIREMENTS- The requirements described in this paragraph with respect to health insurance coverage within the State for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014, are as follows:
(A) Part I of subtitle D.

(B) Part II of subtitle D.

(C) Section 1402.

(D) Sections 36B, 4980H, and 5000A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
The individual mandate appears in Part I of Subtitle F, SEC. 1501. REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE, and Sec. 1501 isn't included in the list above. However ...

Here's some text from Sec. 1501:

(b) In General- Subtitle D of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new chapter:
`CHAPTER 48--MAINTENANCE OF MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE
`Sec. 5000A. Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage.
`SEC. 5000A. REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE.
`(a) Requirement To Maintain Minimum Essential Coverage- An applicable individual shall for each month beginning after 2013 ensure that the individual, and any dependent of the individual who is an applicable individual, is covered under minimum essential coverage for such month.
If I've pieced this together correctly, it is possible for states, under certain circumstances, to waive the individual mandate.

As often as I have looked at this bill, I had NO idea this was here.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM

With the options states have available, they should check out Maryland.

"As a result, he says, Maryland hospitals have a steady profit margin, unlike hospitals in other states that often make more money during boom years and less during a recession."

Maryland also handles its Medicare issue pretty well.

"The deal makes sense for the government because for Medicare, the elephant in the middle of the room is health care inflation."

Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Looks like ObammieCare's Papi, RomneyCare, might be getting a tune up.

"The options with the largest estimated savings, such as payment reform, typically offer a clear and direct mechanism for reducing spending. Bundled payment has been shown to be effective in prior public and private demonstration projects and would directly affect the amount paid for health services. Hospital rate setting would impose statewide controls on the price of hospital services."

Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM

States can adopt the proposal sponsored by Denny:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Dennis Kucinich had introduced an amendment to the House bill to allow for states to create their own single payer health insurance plan.

Despite being scored by the CBO as deficit neutral, Pelosi & Obama, in placation to special interests struck it down.

I wish more Dems had
the guts of Denny.

It would be a shame if Denny's proposal is not mentioned tomorrow (which is the likely scenario).
Or the one offered by Grayson:

Quote:
Grayson, a simple, sensible cost effective health plan.

"Our Medicare You Can Buy Into Act now has over 80 cosponsors in the House and over 40,000 citizen co-sponsors at WeWantMedicare.com. It's a simple bill, to let you and me buy into Medicare. You want it, you buy it, you got it."

Freedom of choice and fiscally responsible.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Here's some of the text from the H.R. 3590:
SEC. 1332. WAIVER FOR STATE INNOVATION.
(a) Application-
(1) IN GENERAL- A State may apply to the Secretary for the waiver of all or any requirements described in paragraph (2) with respect to health insurance coverage within that State for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2017. Such application shall--
(A) be filed at such time and in such manner as the Secretary may require;

(B) contain such information as the Secretary may require, including--
(i) a comprehensive description of the State legislation and program to implement a plan meeting the requirements for a waiver under this section; and

(ii) a 10-year budget plan for such plan that is budget neutral for the Federal Government; and
(C) provide an assurance that the State has enacted the law described in subsection (b)(2).
(2) REQUIREMENTS- The requirements described in this paragraph with respect to health insurance coverage within the State for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2014, are as follows:
(A) Part I of subtitle D.

(B) Part II of subtitle D.

(C) Section 1402.

(D) Sections 36B, 4980H, and 5000A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
The individual mandate appears in Part I of Subtitle F, SEC. 1501. REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE, and Sec. 1501 isn't included in the list above. However ...

Here's some text from Sec. 1501:

(b) In General- Subtitle D of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new chapter:
`CHAPTER 48--MAINTENANCE OF MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE
`Sec. 5000A. Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage.
`SEC. 5000A. REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN MINIMUM ESSENTIAL COVERAGE.
`(a) Requirement To Maintain Minimum Essential Coverage- An applicable individual shall for each month beginning after 2013 ensure that the individual, and any dependent of the individual who is an applicable individual, is covered under minimum essential coverage for such month.
If I've pieced this together correctly, it is possible for states, under certain circumstances, to waive the individual mandate.

As often as I have looked at this bill, I had NO idea this was here.
Neither do a lot of people. Thanks genie, more Americans need to know about this aspect of the bill.

More from Denny & Grayson below.

Quote:
Grayson and Dennis in their own words on this health care mess.

This fight is far from over as evidenced by their words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies