Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should inmates be allowed to read books other than the Bible?
Yes, they should be allowed to read other books 21 95.45%
No, they should only be allowed to read the Bible 1 4.55%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A South Carolina jail was sued Wednesday over its policy barring inmates from having any reading materials except the Bible.
ACLU sues S.C. jail over Bible policy - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

The jail is obviously going to lose. The policy violates prisoners' rights to freedom of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
I agree. They should be able to read other books. But at the same time, I'm going to say that if the situation was flipped around, and The Bible was outlawed there, the ACLU wouldn't have given a ten cent sh*t. Neither would have the liberal media.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I agree. They should be able to read other books. But at the same time, I'm going to say that if the situation was flipped around, and The Bible was outlawed there, the ACLU wouldn't have given a ten cent sh*t. Neither would have the liberal media.
You'd be incorrect. Here is a current case where a Christian prisoner was denied his right to practice.

Quote:
The plaintiff in this case is a Texas state prisoner who was denied the opportunity to participate in Christian worship services. He sued, seeking injunctive relief and damages.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You'd be incorrect. Here is a current case where a Christian prisoner was denied his right to practice.
Thank's for the link. That's good to see. If you stand up for one side you would have to stand up for the other regarding the First Amendment. Gotta keep current.

I presume this is a rarity, though. Generally, conservatives dont get/seek ACLU backing on their cases.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Thank's for the link. That's good to see. If you stand up for one side you would have to stand up for the other regarding the First Amendment. Gotta keep current.

I presume this is a rarity, though. Generally, conservatives dont get/seek ACLU backing on their cases.
You're welcome.

One big reason that you don't see as many cases brought on behalf of Christians is that Christianity is the majority in the US. Majority belief systems tend to oppress minority belief systems, not the other way around. They may not realize that their activities are oppressive, or they may believe that they are correct and merely suppressing "incorrect" philosophies.

Another reason may well be the incorrect assumption that the ACLU does not defend Christians on these issues, when, in fact, they do. However, they are looking at the merits of the case, not who is involved in the case.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:

But that really only comes from their basic ignorance and brain washing.
"This is a rarity, though." really? what is a rarity is a conservative...or any christian in general... actually reading their idol scriptures, instead of just swallowing the propaganda their overlords feed them.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth;16168240 what is a rarity is a conservative...[B
or any christian in general[/b]... actually reading their idol scriptures, instead of just swallowing the propaganda their overlords feed them.
Thats funny. The mass majority of christian blacks and latinos voted Democrat the last election. Who is it exactly that you are so bitter towards? Or are you an atheist that just hates religion in general?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
Most jails only allow books and magazines sent from the publisher. Tom Freeman cant send Jail Ed a book from the book store but Tom can order a book from Random house and have it mailed to Ed.
Additional jails have a commissary system that usually allows for books. Also each inmate can only have so many. I think most is 2 books or magazines total. I know inmates in GA get all sorts of books and magazines including puzzle books.
The claim is that drugs and other contraband can be sent across the guard line. I agree with the safety measure. However I am really surprised that a county jail has stopped all publication. Except the bible. The only thing I can think is that there was an issue that they were unable to resolve so it got put on the back burner. That never works out. That happens allot in county jails.
usually I won't support the ACLU as to many times they have a double standard that focuses toward what the press will report on. If this is as they say then it needs to be corrected but I think from what I have read there is more to the story.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:26 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I didn't vote, since I am against any books for prisoners. Weights, also.

I read an article recently that spoke of the 'violent' reading material that some prisoners (I think in California state prisons) have access to. I wish I had a link for it was appalling what they were reading (books describing how to kill people, how to create general mayhem, etc).

There was an old Stephen King book (about the guy wrongfully in prison; made into a movie) that had a statement like this "And if there were maggots in their pudding, wasn't that too damn bad".

Although 'liberal' in some areas, I tend to believe that felons should be fed, maggots and all, but other than that? Sit in your cell. Contemplate the shiny toilet. Let their muscles atrophy.

In my calmer moments I probably would temper my statements, but we will let it ride. Here in Texas I viewed with horror the rulings of the Federal Judge William Wayne Justice.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Thats funny. The mass majority of christian blacks and latinos voted Democrat the last election. Who is it exactly that you are so bitter towards? Or are you an atheist that just hates religion in general?
Sounds like you're a christian who doesn't know jack about the average atheist. Most of us don't give a good god damn what fairy tales you want to believe, what imaginary friend you want to pray to, and what religious shill you prefer to give your money to. We just get annoyed when you try to insert your dogma into laws that govern our lives. Believe what you want, just leave us out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies