Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times

Advertisements

Suspects are in the hands of the authorities in the London bombings, and it looks like all roads to lead to the Middle East.. .

Surprise surprise. In an earlier thread that was closed, some were offended and said those who suspected radical muslims as the culprit were "bias."

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 05:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Suspects are in the hands of the authorities in the London bombings, and it looks like all roads to lead to the Middle East.. .

Surprise surprise. In an earlier thread that was closed, some were offended and said those who suspected radical muslims as the culprit were "bias."

Thoughts?
I think assigning blame for a crime before any evidence is gathered or evaluated is not a smart way to go and may well lead you down a blind alley. Assuming these doctors are proven guilty should we then assume the next incident was perpetrated by doctors?

And I know even Saddam was granted a trial before hanging.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
What I thought was interesting is that the men were well educated doctors. I have read that the people that are normally utilized to bring of these terrorist attacks are not well educated.

I am wondering if these men acted on their own or if they were support by Al qaeuda...has that come out yet?

I am hoping that this occurence will be another signal to the UK and the US that its open door immigration policey needs to be re-examined.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 PM

467 posts, read 324,987 times
I believe that what the people you disagree with in that thread were trying to say is that jumping to that conclusion is a dangerous way to do business and we cautioned against painting all Muslims with the same brush.

I think the most stunning aspect of these bombings is that they appear to have been done by medical professionals who have been radicalized. It is one thing to try to combat the radicalization of poor uneducated Muslims by trying to win their hearts and minds and showing them we aren't all that bad, but you have to assume doctors are as educated as they'll ever be and they have so many advantages over the poorest of their countries - THIS is how they fight for their people? I just don't get it.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
What I thought was interesting is that the men were well educated doctors. I have read that the people that are normally utilized to bring of these terrorist attacks are not well educated.

I am wondering if these men acted on their own or if they were support by Al qaeuda...has that come out yet?

I am hoping that this occurence will be another signal to the UK and the US that its open door immigration policey needs to be re-examined.
So true. And I guess this puts an end to the line that it is all the down-trodden poor who have nothing to look forward to except those 34 virgins awaiting them in the afterlife that are recruited to carry out their "missions." These were well-educated respected citizens. What will the apologist have to say about this?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Actually it is 72 virgins. Sounds pretty good, what do we get....just milk and honey??

Just kidding.

There are some respected Middle Eastern experts that state were we to stop invading Iraq, the al quaeda would go elsewhere. They are there specifically because we present an easy target there. Lay a bomb on the road, kill some Americans. Beats all the bother of trying to get a false passport and then having to learn to fly an airplane.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM

467 posts, read 324,987 times
Spunky - I'm not sure what you mean by apologist. If you equate not wanting to assume all car bombs are al qaeda then I guess that makes me an apologist, but I'm just not sure how.

There are many different kinds of terrorists and they are all awful terrible people. I don't think anyone in the other thread, and I doubt any in this one, will apologize for ANY terrorist act. That argument just doesn't hold.

What we were trying to say is simply this - you can't assume every Muslim you meet is a terrorist and you can't assume every attack is Muslim related.

We live in a really LARGE and scary world comprised of many threats from many regions. Lots of people suspect that Condi Rice didn't focus on Muslim threats because she was so focused on Russia. You can't tunnel vision terror.

We have to always be vigilant and keep an eye out for the known threats - obviously, but that doesn't mean that we jump to conclusions that might lead us in the wrong direction.

I actually am one of those crazy liberals that believe profiling is a good thing as long as you have witnesses to a crime. However, considering there are many different terrorists groups that use bombs - it is just negligent to assume only Muslims are threats to us.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
So true. And I guess this puts an end to the line that it is all the down-trodden poor who have nothing to look forward to except those 34 virgins awaiting them in the afterlife that are recruited to carry out their "missions." These were well-educated respected citizens. What will the apologist have to say about this?
I'd say if they're guilty they should hang That doesn't mean that in the future when a bombing occurs we should just assume it was Muslim doctors before any evidence has been gathered.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
I just know that when the next car bombs explode or beheaded bodies are found, my money won't be on the Friends of Timothy McVeigh, Quakers, Irish nuns or Baptists. I'll leave the evidence gathering, arrests and trials to the proper authorities where I think it belongs. I'm only guessing as a non-player.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Spunky - I'm not sure what you mean by apologist. If you equate not wanting to assume all car bombs are al qaeda then I guess that makes me an apologist, but I'm just not sure how.

There are many different kinds of terrorists and they are all awful terrible people. I don't think anyone in the other thread, and I doubt any in this one, will apologize for ANY terrorist act. That argument just doesn't hold.

What we were trying to say is simply this - you can't assume every Muslim you meet is a terrorist and you can't assume every attack is Muslim related.

We live in a really LARGE and scary world comprised of many threats from many regions. Lots of people suspect that Condi Rice didn't focus on Muslim threats because she was so focused on Russia. You can't tunnel vision terror.

We have to always be vigilant and keep an eye out for the known threats - obviously, but that doesn't mean that we jump to conclusions that might lead us in the wrong direction.

I actually am one of those crazy liberals that believe profiling is a good thing as long as you have witnesses to a crime. However, considering there are many different terrorists groups that use bombs - it is just negligent to assume only Muslims are threats to us.
I believe it could be considered negligent, or at least fool-hardy to assume that Muslims are not a threat to us.

But not only Muslim. My reference is to the earlier thread where someone were cautioning us that we should not jump to conclusions who the culprits were. But the funny thing is that I don't think that anyone had! I believe that poster was the 1st one to mention Muslims in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies