Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Obama...
Let's all try that together- OBAMA, OH-BAH- MAH... (remind anyone of OO-BLAH-DEE, OO-BLAH-DAHH? La-la how our life went on)

See how easily it rolls off of the tongue? Is it animal, vegetable or mineral? Perhaps it's the newest name for tabletized, time released panacea, like PAXIL or VICODEN.
Hell, just what IS in a name? If we received a visitor from space, wouldn't Obama be so much easier explained as a force, much like inertia or gravity, having one lone
descriptive title, Obama? Most people are into "one word fits all" titles, stars and personalities like Elvis, Cher, Sting or even that nasty guy Cheney (no, not Lon).
These titles or monikers are one word-ers for impact, added value is measured by brevity in this the texting age. Why laugh out loud when you can ROFLMAO?
I'm an old man now, but shucks, I still call Snoop-Dogg, Snoop, I mean, how can you hope to be kewl or trendy if you have to add the fruit salad of a full title, when in
this day there's a simple, one word fits all, totally encompassing,- OBAMA?

^ I just spit out some beer. ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Oh lord, if I had a dollar for every time I heard or read someone call former President Bush by his last name alone, I would be a millionaire.

I could retire comfortably on the dimes alone.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 PM

590 posts, read 554,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I respect the office, not the man...

He shows the people no respect, he'll get none in return.

He works for us...
Very well said.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
I'm thinking the whole using the last name only thing took off after Kennedy was assassinated. Probably a consequence of modern media communication. T.V. Formality really went out the window in the 60's.

I cant stand Obama. If I ever met him and had to address him it would be "Mr. President"

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
got a quick question...

the other day a guy on facebook threw a little hissy fit because so many people were "disrespecting" President Barack Obama by not using the word "President" before his name...and simply calling him "Obama" was disrespectful no matter your affiliation/party.

he went on to ask when all this came about...is this a new thing, or has it been going on for a while?
Hmmm, so calling Illinois "The land of Lincoln" is disrespectful? Who knew?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post

I could retire comfortably on the dimes alone.
Heck. I'd settle for millage off that one. I figure 'Obama' is muttered in disgust by one hundred million Americans per day. At just one Mill, that's a hundred thousand dollars, every sun-shiny mornin'.

That's $36,000,000.00 and some change, per annum. I could afford roughly $90,000,000,00 worth of house, in that case. Let's see... a nice place in Southampton is around 40, anything decent in Beverly Hills is about 40. That would leave me 10, for a tiny pied-a-terre in Positano or Aspen. Decisions.... Decisions.... So who do I gotta bribe to get a law passed to give millage on that word to Me?

BTW, I loved your earlier post. I can see the commercial now....

A pretty, multi-ethnic woman is cycling at water's edge, she stops to share the wonderful story of her life-transforming discovery. "I used to not have any friends. So I went to my Doctor. He sent me to my Pharmacist. Now, I have lots of friends...
They're named Abreeva, Spireeva, Boneeva.... and now, best of all, OBAMA! Ask
your Doctor if OBAMA is right for you!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
[MOD CUT/off topic]

i've never called any president by thier official title.

i would if i was in the oval office, but not in daily discourse.

welcome to America.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-08-2010 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
got a quick question...

the other day a guy on facebook threw a little hissy fit because so many people were "disrespecting" President Barack Obama by not using the word "President" before his name...and simply calling him "Obama" was disrespectful no matter your affiliation/party.

he went on to ask when all this came about...is this a new thing, or has it been going on for a while?
happens all the time... i remeber when bush supporters got angry at me because i didn't support his Judicial based infiltration of sacred office, and that should actually have been a crime commited by the Judges. I would say Bush in disgust, we was NOT the president untill his second term... in which case President Bush was the appropit way to speak about him and the stupidity of conservative America.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I think the disrespect comes when people refer to him as "Obamama,Obongo, Barack Hussein Obama(they emphasize the "Hussein" as if he is evil.

Or the idiotic poster who wrote that doesn't sound "American". First off,America isn't an ethnicity or language,so were do you came off saying"it doesn't sound American?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps this person on Facebook slept through all the names and insults given to Bush???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies