Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,129 times

Advertisements

I remember around age of 12 they delivered a nice book to me by mail that explained pros and cons about the choices. After careful consideration I chose hetero.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamutrun View Post
Here we go with the categories. Let's be detailed and honest about this. If you look up the word "homosexuality" in the dictionary, it says:

sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex.

That would definitely describe me. I have spent more years being homosexual than heterosexual. Many many more. So how homosexual do I have to be in order to fit your definition of homosexual?

Look, I have no problem with gay people saying that SOME gay people are born gay, or that MOST gay people are born gay, but I am just saying that NOT ALL GAY PPL ARE BORN GAY. Some people just ebb and flow through life, deciding to be gay/homosexual/whatever, or not. I know MANY of these people.

There is no one definition, no one category, no one label. It's a lot more complicated. Notice I am not talking about how the straight people label us, I am talking about how the gays label us.
I am not "yanking anyone's chain," why do people have to hurl insults when someone says something they disagree with?
Hmmm. I am not sure what to think. I do know that I have many friends who happen to be gay and they have all said that they knew they were "different" from a very young age. I realize you don't like "labels", but you brought up the subject, so you are obviously going to have labels thrown around. I don't really care how or what you categorize yourself as, but I can tell you that my gay friends (male) would rather staple their head's to the carpet than have sex with a woman. That to me is HOMOsexual. However, I have one friend who enjoys sex with men and women, he says he is BIsexual. I stand by my beliefs that we are born how we are born, some gay, some straight some bi....who cares?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
I am gay and I was NOT born gay. I am a woman and I lusted after and dated men until my early 20s. Then I fell in love with a woman and have been with her for nearly 20 years. I still lust after men. I could very easily see myself with a man, in love with a man, having sex with a man.

NOT EVERYONE who is gay is "born" gay, whatever that means. In addition, why is it so bad for people to "choose" to be gay? I believe in free choice. Yes, my life would be easier had I fallen in love with or chosen to be with a man, but I am fine with my choice and live a great life in a great city in a great STRAIGHT suburban neighborhood.

Let's stop categorizing, shall we?
I'm not sure that a woman who has chosen your path and a flaming, flaming gay man would necessarily be an apples-to-apples comparison, so categorizing may not be the problem but rather insufficient categories.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
It's individual evidence. If you don't agree with the majority and live your life differently then that is fine, too. The majority should not dictate how you live your life or perceive your sexuality or preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Thank you, I have always argued that being gay is a choice. Only to be confronted by a lying, psychotic brigade that believes in something for which there is no genetic evidence.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
That's what happens when you make assumptions without doing your research. Your son turned out to be gay. And you did research by talking with him. And your attitude changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I used to get annoyed when this would come up. I always thought that the gay community was pushing the "gay people are born that way" idea for political reasons. I thought this was their way of becoming a recognized minority. After all, if it's a choice, then you aren't really being persecuted, this was a life you chose.

But now that my son has leaped out of the closet (he said he is bisexual), I see things differently. Looking back, he always said he did NOT want to get married when he grew up. This was one thing he was always consistent with. Also, when we had our first sex talk and he was 8 yrs old, his first question was about gay sex. Is that normal for a hetero 8 yr old? Little things like that tell me he was probably wired this way.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
I am gay and I was NOT born gay. I am a woman and I lusted after and dated men until my early 20s. Then I fell in love with a woman and have been with her for nearly 20 years. I still lust after men. I could very easily see myself with a man, in love with a man, having sex with a man.

NOT EVERYONE who is gay is "born" gay, whatever that means. In addition, why is it so bad for people to "choose" to be gay? I believe in free choice. Yes, my life would be easier had I fallen in love with or chosen to be with a man, but I am fine with my choice and live a great life in a great city in a great STRAIGHT suburban neighborhood.

You're not gay, you're bisexual.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:

Um. You're not gay. Being gay involves more than just sleeping with a woman. Sorry. You may be in a homosexual relationship, but unless you exclusively lust after women, you are not gay.

Gay is not an action. Even if a gay woman never slept with another woman, the fact that it would be her overwhelming preference is what makes her gay. Not just shacking up with some chick.

Fail.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote:

Because it gives more power to the gay community to claim that being gay isn't a choice because if it were a choice that would somehow invalidate their situation as being "brought upon by themselves" - and "who would choose to be gay". If someone can choose to be gay or straight, then why would gays need to have the same so-called "rights" afforded to non-gay people if they can simply become straight and have what they want?

There are straight people who don't choose to be straight and haven't given their sexuality a single thought because they just "are".

If you're sexually attracted to men and women then some may say you're bisexual.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
The research where they located identical twins who had been separated at birth or in infancy and raised totally apart sheds very interesting light on the relative strength of nature and nurture. In general, nature turned out to be stronger than the researchers had expected. On the matter of homosexuality, it was found that there is a very strong genetic component. I can't remember the percent of identical twins where one twin was homosexual and one was not, but it was pretty small. If it were purely genetic, then 100% would be either homosexual or straight or bisexual (i.e., the same as whatever the other twin was). Well, it's not 100% but it's very high.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:

Classic bisexuality. It's the desire, not the actions.

One of my Mormon friends in college admitted to being gay, but said he would never act on it because it would be too much of a disgrace to himself and his family. Whether he kept his promise is anyone's guess, but he is married, and has kids, and probably lives life just "like he should". He lives life as a straight person. He appears straight, but he's not straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies