Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The only thing that seperates gays from normal society is their sexual preferance. Being gay is all about sex.
Yep, you've got it. When I'm not eating, sleeping, or posting on this forum, I'm having sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I once had a person come to me with the thought they might be gay. I asked why. They said they listened to a radio program and the message that was related was , if you hate gays and you hate the life style and react to it then you must be gay and fighting it because you react to it.

I assured the person they were not gay because they reacted to it in a strong way. It was a spirit trap that was set in his mind to give confusion and doubt. It was a potential seed of the spirit of homosexuality to wonder about ones own sexuality. I assured this person that the message was false and that they were not gay. Some are vunerable to subtle messages and their belief system of who they are is fragile.

I do think that lots of people who are gay really struggle with it, because until very recently, gays were complete outcasts in society. When you couple that with hearing messages at church about it being an issue of sexual perversion, it makes the situation even more difficult, complex and painful. There are many well know cases of people who've made a life career out of publicly condemning homosexuality, and who've in turn been caught in gay encounters. I also think when people are young, they can have confusing feelings about their sexuality.

I really do respect what you have to say, but lots of people don't look at it the same way, or believe the same thing. As long as we're not trying to force our own viewpoints on how other people should live their lives (as long as they're not hurting themselves or others), the world works pretty well. I really do want to thank you though--this is a new perspective for me. It's always good to learn new things.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The gays get lots of support. That is what surrounds them and makes them strong. Their belief is strong and they love to talk about their gayness. That is why they work constantly for acceptance to become stronger in their beliefs.

When they come out of the gay spirit , they do it. It is their choice.
I will make sure to pass along this bit of wisdom to my gay uncle and brother-in-law, and my gay colleagues as well, I am sure they will be quite relieved.
Gee, I wonder why my uncle and brother-in-law never talk about their gayness to me?
Oh, I know why.....they know I dont care who they sleep with, as long as they are happy, productive human beings. Almost forgot about that little bit.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If that's what you believe, is it something that the faith group you belong to teaches? Is it a widespread belief?
I've never heard that before either. Not in my own catholic upbringing, not in my grandparents faiths, not at any non denomination/ interfaith group I've ever had relationships with my whole life. This interpretation sounds like it might be coming from evangelicals, but I cannot say with certainty. Tartova doesn't appear to be interested in declaring her faith. If it's truth, if it's a religious teaching, why avoid declaring truth? If it's a personal interpretation, why not just declare it that way?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yep, you've got it. When I'm not eating, sleeping, or posting on this forum, I'm having sex.
I thought you had sex during your posting. I pegged you as a multi-tasker long ago.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I've never heard that before either. Not in my own catholic upbringing, not in my grandparents faiths, not at any non denomination/ interfaith group I've ever had relationships with my whole life. This interpretation sounds like it might be coming from evangelicals, but I cannot say with certainty. Tartova doesn't appear to be interested in declaring her faith. If it's truth, if it's a religious teaching, why avoid declaring truth? If it's a personal interpretation, why not just declare it that way?
I've heard of this line of thought/belief before, and have had for many years, but will not comment on it before the poster does.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I thought you had sex during your posting. I pegged you as a multi-tasker long ago.
Yeah, right????
The way he bounces back and forth between threads, I thought he could do a 1/2 dozen things at once!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I never thought of that, but thanks for the idea!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I do think that lots of people who are gay really struggle with it, because until very recently, gays were complete outcasts in society. When you couple that with hearing messages at church about it being an issue of sexual perversion, it makes the situation even more difficult, complex and painful. There are many well know cases of people who've made a life career out of publicly condemning homosexuality, and who've in turn been caught in gay encounters. I also think when people are young, they can have confusing feelings about their sexuality.

I really do respect what you have to say, but lots of people don't look at it the same way, or believe the same thing. As long as we're not trying to force our own viewpoints on how other people should live their lives (as long as they're not hurting themselves or others), the world works pretty well. I really do want to thank you though--this is a new perspective for me. It's always good to learn new things.
I agree and I realize this. I hope this thread doesn't come across as shoving an agenda, cause it really is just meant as an explanation, so that hopefully others can see where many gay people who do come out are coming from. Even when we disagree it helps to understand another point of view better. I also come across a lot of confusion, thinking that gay people come out with the desire to talk about sex, and so I made this to clarify that coming out is not about wanting to discuss rated x subjects, it's just about letting people know since as often happens with minority groups, you either have to let people assume or let them know.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree and I realize this. I hope this thread doesn't come across as shoving an agenda
Not at all, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Your thoughts on this subject are rational and thoughtful. I greatly appreciate them - and I'm sure many others do as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies