Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

I haven't been able to find the study itself, just secondary comments summarizing the process:

the study authors looked at the gap between when employees arrived at the workplace and actually began working, as well as periods when they worked slowly or lost concentration, among other things.

Duke University researchers analyzed data from the 2006 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey and the 2008 U.S. National Health and Wellness Survey and concluded that the per capita costs of obesity are as much as $16,900 for obese women and $15,500 for obese men.

Obesity Among U.S. Workers Has Hefty Price Tag: Study - US News and World Report

On the surface, it looks like a study with a lot of assumptions. I'd like to know the multiple variables they considered in evaluating workplace productivity, and how they isolated the impact of each variable.

Oh yeah, I'd like to know who paid for the study too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are the only people being treated in hospitals obese? Wide loads? Are you in junior high?

Why would self-sufficiency advocates turn and 'angry eye" at anyone? I suspect they are worried about their own sufficiency and not that of others. thus the "self" part. Do you have proof that everyone who is obese becomes a "charity case" or is this more projection assuming that no one can do without the money of others?

Looks like another attempt to divide the American people. No one advocates for obesity but to attack one group that may not move as fast (another assumption) over others who may not move for a variety of reasons, is unproductive in and of itself.

LOL, most on the Right subscribe to self-sufficiency and they are very much worried about the sufficiency of others. Give me a break, most of yall don't even want to give people unemployment benefits!

And given that obesity rates are way higher than cigarette smoking rates (20%), obesity is THE biggest reason for needing extra health care, intervention if you will.

I can see I touched a nerve, lifelong MO be munching and typing all day long... what you go 200?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
LOL, most on the Right subscribe to self-sufficiency and they are very much worried about the sufficiency of others. Give me a break, most of yall don't even want to give people unemployment benefits!

And given that obesity rates are way higher than cigarette smoking rates (20%), obesity is THE biggest reason for needing extra health care, intervention if you will.

I can see I touched a nerve, lifelong MO be munching and typing all day long... what you go 200?
I am a healthy individual. I const no one a dime of their tax money in regard to my health and no cost no employer in regard to my work performance. In that regard I am luckier than mosty. By reading your posts in this thread one would think that only obese people get sick or fail to perform on the job. That simply is not so.

What I see is an ideology trying to divide the American people among as many lines as possible be it their chosen religion, their race, their sexual orientation, their gender, their political leanings, and with this thread, their weight. How much division is enough to destroy this Republic? Tell me that sans the personal attacks and projections of what may be your own condition upon someone else.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:11 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Why? Do you really produce more than you consume? Does your tax return prove it and net worth prove it?
This straight in from Missouri, the 11th fattest state out there...

...the point is that fatties and smokers cost extra money because of their bad health habits. Rather than giving a thumbs up to the "Let's tax landwhales!" I suggest giving healthy people a tax break. Don't smoke? Great! Bonus for you. Healthy weight? Great! Bonus for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not to mention health care costs. Excellent modern healthcare can keep obese folks alive for 20 more years but at huge expense. Evolution/nature normally would eliminate these wide-loads at about age 55.

So self-sufficiency advocates must turn an angry eye at the obese, they essentially become charity cases later in life.

... as harsh as this sounds...
You mean big pharma has drugs to keep them living.
Excellent modern healthcare, as you post, would have had them lose weight.

Big pharma has no desire to see everyone healthy as they would not make their money. Better to keep you where you with drugs that bandage the symptom, not cure the problem.

An obese person can go on a strict diet/exercise plan
OR
Have a collection of meds that alleviate the symptoms.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Give it time and meechelle will be proposing that Barry start taxing fat people. Then she can be proud for the 2nd time in her life.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
I am a healthy individual. I const no one a dime of their tax money in regard to my health and no cost no employer in regard to my work performance. In that regard I am luckier than mosty. By reading your posts in this thread one would think that only obese people get sick or fail to perform on the job. That simply is not so.

What I see is an ideology trying to divide the American people among as many lines as possible be it their chosen religion, their race, their sexual orientation, their gender, their political leanings, and with this thread, their weight. How much division is enough to destroy this Republic? Tell me that sans the personal attacks and projections of what may be your own condition upon someone else.
BS, like this is a Left wing meme. Obesity is a huge probelm that hurts the country in a number of areas.

I didn't say obesity was the 'only' reason workers get sick or don't perform, but perhaps only alcohol use contributes more to the problem.

We are divided all right but almost all of us (certainly on the CD politics section) contribute to the division. We haven't been this divided since the civil war, but we all seem to be wallowing in it: from Rush to Olberman to O'Donnell to Al Gore. We just have to hope our team gets bigger then the other...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Thing is, the PC people claim obesity is a disease, and thus not the fault of the person, and will try to make it some form of hate crime to come up with statistics like these..

I see obese people all the time, the types who either say it's "glandular" or that they swear they don't eat any junk food. In the lunch line, they might be getting a salad, but at the checkout is where they pick up the ice cream and cake.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
This straight in from Missouri, the 11th fattest state out there...

...the point is that fatties and smokers cost extra money because of their bad health habits. Rather than giving a thumbs up to the "Let's tax landwhales!" I suggest giving healthy people a tax break. Don't smoke? Great! Bonus for you. Healthy weight? Great! Bonus for you.
But just about everything is bad for you though..

Why not a tax incentive for people to not eat meat?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Thing is, the PC people claim obesity is a disease, and thus not the fault of the person, and will try to make it some form of hate crime to come up with statistics like these..

I see obese people all the time, the types who either say it's "glandular" or that they swear they don't eat any junk food. In the lunch line, they might be getting a salad, but at the checkout is where they pick up the ice cream and cake.
HFCS has replaced sugar due to it's low cost.
HFCS is in almost every food we eat.

They use corn to fatten up cattle quick before they go to slaughter.
Now they plow us full of corn and see how quick we are "fattening up" ?

2+2=4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies