Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
People dont care unless it happens to them What they fail to get is it very well could be them next.

People gave up their privacy.What do people give up next speech, guns?
Apparently, the next victim is gold with all of the progressives wetting their panties over Beck's goldline and the 1099 $600 mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You can say good job all day long, but the threat was found out to be false only after invading his right to privacy. How is that a good job? Don't like Arabs much?
In your opinion, anybody being investigated as a threat should be forewarned of that investigation? He wasn't being looked at because his was Arab, it was because of an assertion that he may be a threat.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
In your opinion, anybody being investigated as a threat should be forewarned of that investigation?
I just wanted to know what was the nature of the probable cause. Neither you nor I seem to be privy to that knowledge, yet you assume they did a good job.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I just wanted to know what was the nature of the probable cause. Neither you nor I seem to be privy to that knowledge, yet you assume they did a good job.
According to the article you linked, he was on the Federal watch list. There was a tip, albeit anonymous, that he may represent a threat. They investigated.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:33 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
Every Muslim in this country is a potential threat. I DO NOT want another internment camp like what happened to Japanese Americans during WW2 but I do want the threats investigated by our law enforcement agencies.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Every Muslim in this country is a potential threat. I DO NOT want another internment camp like what happened to Japanese Americans during WW2 but I do want the threats investigated by our law enforcement agencies.
Every Muslim? Attitudes like that are why there are many threats. The threats come from virtually anybody.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Every Muslim should be chipped and tracked!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Apparently - according to the article you linked to - this is legal.

Afifi, the son of an Islamic-American community leader who died a year ago in Egypt, is one of only a few people known to have found a government-tracking device on their vehicle.

His discovery comes in the wake of a recent ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals saying it’s legal for law enforcement to secretly place a tracking device on a suspect’s car without getting a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway.
This applies only to the Western states. I suspect it will go to the Supreme Court for a decision that will be applied to the whole country. Frankly, if law enforcement doesn't have enough to get a warrant, they shouldn't be allowed to do this.
The 4th Amendment is dead. You and I have no rights to privacy or of protection from unreasonable search and seizure. Wake up already!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
I do not like the fact that such surveillance can be started without a warrant. This article does not state that in this case no warrant was issued. It cites an agent as being "certain" that the agents installing it got a 30 day warrant. Who knows. Again, I am against such tracking without a warrant being a routine practice, but I am not against tracking with a warrant.

So in my opinion, as long as there is a warrant for surveillance for purposes of an investigation, I do not see the problem. Yes, we should be vigilant about abuses.

If your local police were investigating you for drug trafficking and put a listening device on your car, and you found it, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the police to ask for it back? This thread is one of many that seek to malign "government", which I'm interpreting the OP to mean "big government," as this case involves the FBI. But in my police example, this could happen with local small government, too. So what is the complaint? That no government agency, from the local county level to the Federal level, be able to invade a citizen's privacy in the course of a law enforcement investigation?

In this story, the man who found the GPS device was not arrested. But it seems he was a legitimate subject of an investigation.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He had been identified as a potential threat. The FBI investigated and found it to be unsubstantiated. Good job FBI.
The FBI should have investigated FIRST before putting a GPS tracking device on his vehicle.

The FBI did it a** backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies