Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
He had been identified as a potential threat. The FBI investigated and found it to be unsubstantiated. Good job FBI.

What if Conservatives identified you as a potential threat to American life as we have known it. So they decided to place a device to track you?

It is a two way street. Your opening a big can of worms, allowing this to happen without a judge issuing just cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What if Conservatives identified you as a potential threat to American life as we have known it. So they decided to place a device to track you?

It is a two way street. Your opening a big can of worms, allowing this to happen without a judge issuing just cause.
I have nothing to hide nor do I fear that someone will "make up" something. I there was such an assertion, and the FBI tracked me and determined there was no basis for the assertion, I would say, good job FBI. But, I suppose, if you are one of those who sees a Commie behind every tree as Glenn keeps saying....?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:45 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You can say good job all day long, but the threat was found out to be false only after invading his right to privacy. How is that a good job? Don't like Arabs much?
Better to be safe than sorry.
They could track me all day, who cares if you are not doing anything wrong?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Then why don't you list all of your e-mail accounts and passwords, plus your bank accounts and passwords, and we'll have cameras installed in every room in your home, and GPS devices installed on all of your vehicles.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
It is precisely this type of ignorance that allows tyranny to establish itself, one step at a time.

The facts are .... there are something like 5,000 federal laws on the books, and an estimated 300,000 federal regulations that can be prosecuted criminally ... with dozens of new ones being added constantly.

Consequently, not even the police or judges or lawyers are familiar enough with even a fraction of them to say who is or who is not breaking one of them, which is why there are volumes and volumes of books on the law library shelves. Not even the congress critters who pass these laws know what they are actually passing, because they don't bother to READ the legislation they routinely pass into law.

Given that fact, you haven't the SLIGHTEST CLUE whether you are breaking one or more of them .... and in actuality, you probably are, or have broken several of them without even realizing it.

Are you aware of the efforts in congress to pass legislation that would make it a crime to grow vegetables in your backyard garden? It has not made it into law YET ... but they're trying. This is how ridiculous things are getting ... criminalizing the act of growing a freaking tomato plant!

There ARE MANY inane laws on the books that virtually guarantee that you'll break one at some point, which is why there are so many of them ... pass enough laws which can then be selectively enforced at the whim and discretion of YOUR MASTERS, and EVERYONE can be labeled a criminal.

And this doesn't just pertain the US Law, but also FOREIGN LAWS too! "That's right you little slave, we can put you behind bars for violating laws of a foreign country ... hahahahaha ...."

Take the case of Abner Schoenwetter, a Miami seafood importer, who spent six years in prison and paid tens of thousands of dollars in fines and legal expenses, and is now a convicted felon who cannot own a gun, nor can he even vote. His crime? Agreeing to purchase lobster from a seafood supplier he had been doing business with for more than 10 years ... only this particular time, the federal authorities said these lobster tails violated harvest regulations in Honduras, which, under the federal Lacey Act, makes it a crime to import fish that violates foreign laws.

And most federal laws and regulations are structured as "strict liability" which means that you can be prosecuted and put behind bars without the need to establish criminal intent or even knowledge that you were breaking a law.

So now, you are not only obligated to know the 5,000 US Federal Laws ... the 300,000 US federal regulations, all of the State, City and County laws and regulations and ordinances ... but also, apparently, every law and regulation of every country around the world too?

Of course ... YOU have them all committed to memory, and you can safely declare that you haven't nor will you ever break one of them?

Congress looks at laws that criminalize non-criminal behavior | McClatchy

Foolish, foolish people. “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 10-09-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 04:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
It is truly my hope that florida.bob, mag32gie, and people of their ilk have their vehicles electronically tracked, phones tapped, cell phone calls monitored, electronic and postal mail hacked/opened, finances placed under a microscope, and homes electronically bugged by the government for a period of a couple of years. If I knew who they actually were, seeing as I could view them as a potential threat, I might even consider reporting them to law enforcement as "potential threats". I'd like to see how well they would wear the shoe with it being on the other foot.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:01 PM

387 posts, read 532,979 times
Maybe the FBI wanted to play with their new gadgets?
But I agree they could have investigated the problem first. They would have every right to investigate if they had a sound tip. If the guy is on their watch list. Then it makes sense to investigate. But the GPS should be placed on the vehicle only if they found something to be really suspicious of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The FBI should have investigated FIRST before putting a GPS tracking device on his vehicle.

The FBI did it a** backwards.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
But I agree they could have investigated the problem first.
You're assuming they didn't. There's really no information in this article about what the FBI did or didn't do except that they apparently placed this device on his car and got caught. It may turn out he gets arrested tomorrow for anything anyone here knows.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Worst argument ever. I guess privacy is no concern to some people. why not undress in front of the open window, why cclose the bathroom stall? Who cares who watches because you're doing nothing wrong, right? Privacy is very important and I can't believe some would so easily opt out of having it.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Yet we need bigger government, says the liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies