Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had to flee America, what other country or region would you feel safe residing in??
Europe 49 42.98%
Africa 1 0.88%
South America 8 7.02%
Asia 4 3.51%
Pacific Ilands 5 4.39%
Australia 32 28.07%
China 1 0.88%
Russia 0 0%
Mexico 8 7.02%
North Pole 6 5.26%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I would just wait here until everyone else left, then i would become Dictator and rule over my country...............so there
Not so fast king george, these colors don't run. If we can survive Bush we can survive almost anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
AS long as it's in the first world I'm open to any of them.
I think money plays a lot into it also...

I mean I think you could live well in almost any civilized nation, as a multi-millionare...

But living at, just above, or below the poverty line in another country, changes a lot...

I know Art Bell, (the man who started coast to coast) now resides in the Philipnes with his wife...but he has money...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Panama, since I could get there in a vehicle with my wife and dog.

Goodbye, cat.
Now that's interesting...the notion of roads linking all of North America...

But do you think you could make that trip without getting kidnapped? or bribed of all your money?

Another question...say you made that drive...while in Mexico, crossing over into Guatamala or Beliz...what papers would they want to see??

Your drive originated in the United States...but how would you cross from Mexico into Guatamala?

Would your American passport be enough to get you through all the South American Nations?

Or would you need something or permission from Mexico to leave their country into another??
He said VEHICLE, not CAR. My first thought was plane, or maybe boat. It social order collapses a small sailboat with a solar-powered fresh water desalination system might be a really nice thing to have -- along with fishing skill.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Africa anyone....

Africa has some of the worlds most beautiful coast lines...but unfortunatly, due to civil unrest and screwed up politics, I notice most opt to not make Africa their place of destination...

If not for harsh dictators, and so much civil unrest...Africa would be a lovely destination...check out that watery inlet...beautiful...

Such a beautiful place...if not for the politics and regimes that seem to run it now...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
I can't think of any reason why I would "flee" America, but immigration laws and money aside, the top countries I would move to are:

-Canada, in particular these cities: Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. nothing against any other cities in Canada
-France
-Australia
-UK
-Martinique (already have some family over there so the the transition would be simple enough)

I'm black but my race didn't influence any of the above choices. I don't see myself being "more comfortable" in Africa. heck, I'd move to certain parts of Asia before moving to certain parts of Africa. being Haitian American, I'd likely skew more towards France or a French speaking nation since I can pick up enough of the language to do basic business. Australia has always struck me as a diverse (in many ways) and beautiful country hence why it's on the list.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
He said VEHICLE, not CAR. My first thought was plane, or maybe boat. It social order collapses a small sailboat with a solar-powered fresh water desalination system might be a really nice thing to have -- along with fishing skill.
Believe it or not, the same has crossed my mind...fleeing or escaping into the ocean on a sail boat...I mean heck...all the food you want right there beneath you, as long as you can fish...

But then I thought about pirates...and how they seem to be making a come back...

Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Now that's interesting...the notion of roads linking all of North America...

But do you think you could make that trip without getting kidnapped? or bribed of all your money?

Another question...say you made that drive...while in Mexico, crossing over into Guatamala or Beliz...what papers would they want to see??

Your drive originated in the United States...but how would you cross from Mexico into Guatamala?

Would your American passport be enough to get you through all the South American Nations?

Or would you need something or permission from Mexico to leave their country into another??
1. Yes, I think we could make that trip without getting kidnapped. The big highways in Mexico aren't as bad as people think.

2. No reason to enter Belize, but I've crossed into Guatemala before (from Belize) and the visa is an easy thing to get at the border all you need is a passport and a willingness to stand in line.

3. Probably from Tapachula.

4. Not sure, but I know I can't drive farther than Panama as the Darien is impassable so I wouldn't enter South America. Panama is end of the line for driving South.

5. Don't usually need permission to leave countries, as long as your passport has the appropriate entry stamp. Hell even an expired entry stamp is usually a simple fine.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Not so fast king george, these colors don't run. If we can survive Bush we can survive almost anything.
Maybe we can even survive Obama if we get the balance of Congress changed in November.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:17 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
I am Indian. And if anything was going wrong in the USA where I had to move, I would go to Canada or I would go England.

I cannot believe Canada is not an option but OP put Mexico. LOL.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Maybe we can even survive Obama if we get the balance of Congress changed in November.
Yes! Just maybe there is hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies