Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Personally I don't watch to many "opinion" shows. Unless they have some comic value to them, like the daily show, or bill maher, and then I still don't take their opinion as fact. I usually double check Maher, because sometimes he only gives you part of the story, and not the whole facts.

What bugs me about conservatives is that they listen to Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh, who have no comedic value, and think that everything they are saying is true, or the whole story.

My Dad is awful about it. He calls me all the time about stuff he's seen on a Fox news opinion show, and thinks its the gospel. I usually know the full story, and show him the other side of it. Then he just gets quiet about it. He doesn't like it when I point out his beloved news channel is biased.
So, you listen to Maher and Jon, attempt to sort out and correct their strong biases and then deride your dad for watching a "biased" news channel.

Makes perfect sense in some parallel universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
If you're a Republican or a "tea party" member then listen up.........

"New research finds we trust experts who agree with our own opinions, suggesting that subjective feelings override scientific information. "

People Are Allergic to the Facts | | AlterNet
Galileo comes to mind.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:

[i][color="DarkRed"]"New research finds we trust experts who agree with our own opinions, suggesting that subjective feelings override scientific information.
Also known as "Confirmation bias" and applies to even ardent scientist and intellectuals. Why, because it is a human trait to seek out information that supports our positions. Not exactly a ground breaking revelation and certainly doesn't just apply to Tea Party folks.

Smart People Believe Weird Things: Scientific American
Quote:
Rarely do any of us sit down before a table of facts, weigh them pro and con, and choose the most logical and rational explanation, regardless of what we previously believed. Most of us, most of the time, come to our beliefs for a variety of reasons having little to do with empirical evidence and logical reasoning. Rather, such variables as genetic predisposition, parental predilection, sibling influence, peer pressure, educational experience and life impressions all shape the personality preferences that, in conjunction with numerous social and cultural influences, lead us to our beliefs. We then sort through the body of data and select those that most confirm what we already believe, and ignore or rationalize away those that do not.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sometimes the facts are only a opinion.
Uh angel, uh officer, uh indian, uh elephant, uh egg, uh onion, uh auditorium, uh ankle, uh uncle, uh enigma, uh idiot.

Thee angel, thee officer, thee indian, thee elephant, thee egg, thee onion, thee auditorium, thee ankle, thee uncle, thee enigma, thee idiot.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Uh angel, uh officer, uh indian, uh elephant, uh egg, uh onion, uh auditorium, uh ankle, uh uncle, uh enigma, uh idiot.

Thee angel, thee officer, thee indian, thee elephant, thee egg, thee onion, thee auditorium, thee ankle, thee uncle, thee enigma, thee idiot.
LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:

"New research finds we trust experts who agree with our own opinions, suggesting that subjective feelings override scientific information. "

People Are Allergic to the Facts | | AlterNet
You mean FACTS, like this....
Quote:
They’re not calling it Googlebombing, of course. Chris Bowers at Daily Kos has given their new effort a happier name: “Grassroots SEO.” The SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It’s actually search engine manipulation:

The goal of Grassroots SEO is to get as many undecided voters as possible to read the most damaging news article about the Republican candidate for Congress in their district.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Personally I don't watch to many "opinion" shows. Unless they have some comic value to them, like the daily show, or bill maher, and then I still don't take their opinion as fact. I usually double check Maher, because sometimes he only gives you part of the story, and not the whole facts.

What bugs me about conservatives is that they listen to Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh, who have no comedic value, and think that everything they are saying is true, or the whole story.

My Dad is awful about it. He calls me all the time about stuff he's seen on a Fox news opinion show, and thinks its the gospel. I usually know the full story, and show him the other side of it. Then he just gets quiet about it. He doesn't like it when I point out his beloved news channel is biased.
I guess you haven't watched Beck, recently. Yesterday he implored all his viewers to check out what he said and not to just take it as gospel. He does this all the time but maybe he doesn't make the announcement in the first 5 minutes of his show so lefties miss him saying that.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
*chuckle*

I am guessing that many are missing the irony of the OP's post.

Notice he uses a research from experts to come here and point out that it proves that the targets of his disapproval simply agree with experts because it falls in line with their opinion.

This is extremely amusing.

Seriously, the OP owes me a new monitor because it is covered with coffee!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
42.7% of all statistics are just made up

Old 10-08-2010, 10:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
*chuckle*

I am guessing that many are missing the irony of the OP's post.

Notice he uses a research from experts to come here and point out that it proves that the targets of his disapproval simply agree with experts because it falls in line with their opinion.

This is extremely amusing.

Seriously, the OP owes me a new monitor because it is covered with coffee!
I laughed also but wonder if it was by accident or on purpose. Plus Democrats and Independents are also in the Tea Party. Wish more dems would jump on board stop and help stop some of these bandwagon Teocons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies