Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 02:19 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

I think that their years of paying into the system has earned them the right to choose the food they wish to eat rather than having the nanny state do it for them.
And what state do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,106,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm referring to a lot of people on this thread who seem to think they know a lot about nutrition.

If you have a problem specifically with MY post, let's hear about it. If your problem is with everyone who is posted, why quote my post and then say your comment? I assume you believe I posted a "plan" that is not nutritious...how so?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The women are likely working at K-Mart, Wal Mart, or wherever. They are on their feet all day.
Another excuse. I honestly do not care what the reasoning is behind them being on food stamps, if I am paying for their food, I want a say in what they can and cannot be eating. If something is not on "the list," it won't be covered when they swipe their EBT card and they will have to pay for it out of pocket. That's how it works now, the only difference is that we would have certain cheaper brands to choose from and there would be no allowance for crap foods with trans fat and no nutritional value.

The better way to go about the problem is probably to severely limit the duration of food stamp benefits and cut out the junk food. Also, perhaps a pee drug test is in order before just loading up the EBT card.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
Get ready for 5 million more people when November 30th gets here and the unemployed are forced to go get food stamps.

So if using Food Stamps for : gum , Colt 45 beer , shrimp , crab legs and cash from the EBT cards don't bother you now , just wait until the end of November....

Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why don't they have freezers? Don't all rental houses have a fridge/freezer combo? Or do they not have a home? Because in that case, they're probably not getting food stamps, either.
As I said previously, a lot of them have a single door refrigerator/freezer. Everytime you open the fridge door, you also let warm air into the freezer. You can't store much for long in that type of a freezer. I've had refrigerators like this. They barely keep ice cream frozen.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...zing/index.asp

Quote:
If you have a problem specifically with MY post, let's hear about it. If your problem is with everyone who is posted, why quote my post and then say your comment? I assume you believe I posted a "plan" that is not nutritious...how so?
It's the same old, same old that you hear in the general media. This, that, the other is bad for you. Real nutritionists, e.g. those with degrees in nutrition generally belive that all foods can be incorporated into a healthy diet.

Not to mention "off brands only". As someone else said, how do you determine that?

No white bread? Isn't that going a little too far?

No canned fruit? No bakery items? Only store brand salad dressings?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-20-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
As I said previously, a lot of them have a single door refrigerator/freezer. Everytime you open the fridge door, you also let warm air into the freezer. You can't store much for long in that type of a freezer. I've had refrigerators like this. They barely keep ice cream frozen.

Do they even make/sell those anymore? I haven't seen one. The el-cheapo models have the freezer on top, refer on bottom. Two separate doors. It's been that way for a good many years.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Any person with common sense thinks that Food Stamps should be limited to certain foods. I won't go so far as to say that they can't have any treats, but it should be limited to a certain percentage of the total grocery bill. Maybe they could code it somehow. But how we'd do it is above my pay grade.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Freezing and Food Safety

It's the same old, same old that you hear in the general media. This, that, the other is bad for you. Real nutritionists, e.g. those with degrees in nutrition generally belive that all foods can be incorporated into a healthy diet.

Not to mention "off brands only". As someone else said, how do you determine that?

No white bread? Isn't that going a little too far?

No canned fruit? No bakery items? Only store brand salad dressings?
Yes, all foods *can* be incorporated into a health diet. That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the people who purchase massive amounts of junk and don't even consider nutrition.

Yes, off-brand/store brands only. They're the same thing but cheaper. My marketing teacher told us about how she used to work in a pickle factory and they would stop the machines, change out the label and continue on. Same darn things, name brand versus store brand. What do you mean "how do you determine that"? If it says Publix or Great Value, etc. on it, it's off brand....

No white bread is not going too far. That stuff is crap. Most breads are crap. Whole wheat is best if you're gonna eat it at all, preferably the kind with no corn syrup added and no sucralose to offset the lack of flavor. There are soft whole wheats available for those who don't care for the taste of the heartier breads. You can get used to the taste of anything if you just give it a chance. Why the heck would anyone try to justify the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of white bread?

No canned fruit that contains corn syrup in it. If it's in its own juice, fine. No bakery items, these are prepared foods and they cost too much. Welfare folk don't need to be spending taxpayer money on key lime pies, carrot cakes, sugary muffins or cookies. Maybe some bakery breads are okay. If they want to bake these things themselves from scratch, that's up to them, they can purchase a huge thing of flour for $2 and a thing of sugar for another $2.

Only store brand salad dressings, there are plenty available.

I agree with kentucky dad on the freezers. I've never seen one of the fridges you're referring to, except for maybe in someone's garage. And like another poster said, even the mini fridges have settings to keep everything super cold and also have a small freezer on top. In my experience, everything kept next to the freezer also freezes.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, all foods *can* be incorporated into a health diet. That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the people who purchase massive amounts of junk and don't even consider nutrition.

Yes, off-brand/store brands only. They're the same thing but cheaper. My marketing teacher told us about how she used to work in a pickle factory and they would stop the machines, change out the label and continue on. Same darn things, name brand versus store brand. What do you mean "how do you determine that"? If it says Publix or Great Value, etc. on it, it's off brand....

No white bread is not going too far. That stuff is crap. Most breads are crap. Whole wheat is best if you're gonna eat it at all, preferably the kind with no corn syrup added and no sucralose to offset the lack of flavor. There are soft whole wheats available for those who don't care for the taste of the heartier breads. You can get used to the taste of anything if you just give it a chance. Why the heck would anyone try to justify the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of white bread?

No canned fruit that contains corn syrup in it. If it's in its own juice, fine. No bakery items, these are prepared foods and they cost too much. Welfare folk don't need to be spending taxpayer money on key lime pies, carrot cakes, sugary muffins or cookies. Maybe some bakery breads are okay. If they want to bake these things themselves from scratch, that's up to them, they can purchase a huge thing of flour for $2 and a thing of sugar for another $2.

Only store brand salad dressings, there are plenty available.

I agree with kentucky dad on the freezers. I've never seen one of the fridges you're referring to, except for maybe in someone's garage. And like another poster said, even the mini fridges have settings to keep everything super cold and also have a small freezer on top. In my experience, everything kept next to the freezer also freezes.
STOP!!! You are making way too much sense.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:05 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Get ready for 5 million more people when November 30th gets here and the unemployed are forced to go get food stamps.

So if using Food Stamps for : gum , Colt 45 beer , shrimp , crab legs and cash from the EBT cards don't bother you now , just wait until the end of November....
A lot of those 5 million getting cut off from unemployment have already been on food stamps for quite some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies